LOnghorn's sidebar on Windows XP

Go to themeXP (link on neowin homepage) you can download one from there. Its called codename: dashboard and it has a longhorn skin. You need the .net framework for winXP installed. Its not actually that good so it might not be worth it.

You can't just rip it and put it on XP and expect it to work. Although i haven't used longhorn myself, i doubt it's just an exe file where you can just copy it off and run it on another OS. Even if it is an exe, you'd probably need some other components that only longhorn has. What's more like it is that it is integrated into the OS and that, you can't rip (not that i know of).

You can still use Codename Dashboard or Smartbar XP, they look pretty much like it but eat quite a lot of resources.

It can happen here's what you have to do to get the official Longhorn sidebar to run on your XP machine:

1) Wait until 2005

2) Buy Longhorn upgrade

3) Install it!

4) Enjoy using the Longhorn (official) sidebar.

cycling:LOL!

And....i dunno. I'll d/l LH 4029 and try it...

Btw an xample:Win2000's cdplayer.exe is working under XP:....

That's because it's an .exe file. I believe the Longhorn sidebar is actually built into the shell.

well I'm not gonna say its impossible because nothing is impossible they said the same thing about xbox emulation and N64 emulation.

But the big problem your gonna face is that it looks like The side bar uses .NET Framework 1.2 currently only 1.1 is available.

That's because it's an .exe file. I believe the Longhorn sidebar is actually built into the shell.

I think that is pretty well true.. but under c:\windows\inf there is a sidebar.inf that gives the option to install when right clicked. Tried it in windows xp after I mounted my longhorn drive as a secondary it thought for a while.. but without the .net framework 1.2 its probably not gonna be successful

well I'm not gonna say its impossible because nothing is impossible they said the same thing about xbox emulation and N64 emulation.

But the big problem your gonna face is that it looks like The side bar uses .NET Framework 1.2 currently only 1.1 is available.

I think that is pretty well true.. but under c:\windows\inf there is a sidebar.inf that gives the option to install when right clicked. Tried it in windows xp after I mounted my longhorn drive as a secondary it thought for a while.. but without the .net framework 1.2 its probably not gonna be successful

If we can kindly get some whidbey tester to hand us the .NET Framework 1.2 there's the problem eliminated :)

If you notice when explorer crashes (as it does alot) it takes the sidebar with it it making me think that the sidebar is a part of explorer. Since explorer is now managed code using the CLR I doubt you're gonna be able to just plop it into XP. I could be wrong but, I could be right.

the sidebar in LH is definitely part of explorer. if you had the source you could probably make an exe that could work just like LH, but that's imposible. what's not imposible however is writing a sidebar that emulates LH, ie Dashboard. if they could edit explorer and write a sidebar into it, that would work, but i don't know if you could decompile explorer

I have seen a beta or an alpha of .NET Framework 1.2 somewhere.. just cant remember if it was alpha or beta.. and where i saw it. :wacko:

the sidebar in LH is definitely part of explorer. if you had the source you could probably make an exe that could work just like LH, but that's imposible. what's not imposible however is writing a sidebar that emulates LH, ie Dashboard. if they could edit explorer and write a sidebar into it, that would work, but i don't know if you could decompile explorer

also, couldn't you just replace explorer in Xp with the explorer.exe from Longhorn?

... Just a thought

[Version]

Signature= "$Windows NT$"

LayoutFile = layout.inf

DriverVer=10/01/2002,6.0.4008.0

[Optional Components]

sidebar

[sidebar]

Needs = avalon

Modes = 0,1,2,3

IconIndex = *

OptionDesc = %sidebar_desc%

Tip = %sidebar_tip%

CopyFiles = assemblies

Custom = GacIt, ngens, regasms

Uninstall = Sidebaruninstall

RegisterDlls=RegSvr

SizeApproximation=1355776

[sidebaruninstall]

;none

[assemblies]

sidebar.txt,sidebar.txt,,64

ShellInterop.dll,shellio.dll,,64

Microsoft.Windows.Client.dll,mswincl.dll,,64

Microsoft.Windows.PPLRTC1.dll,pplrtc1.dll,,64

Microsoft.Windows.PPLRTC2.dll,pplrtc2.dll,,64

Microsoft.Windows.PPLRTC-MSGR.dll,pplrtca.dll,,64

Microsoft.Windows.PPLRTC-RTCv1.dll,pplrtcb.dll,,64

[DestinationDirs]

assemblies = 10, Microsoft.NET\Avalon

[GacIt]

"%10%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.2.21213\gacutil.exe" /if %10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon\ShellInterop.dll,%10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon

"%10%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.2.21213\gacutil.exe" /if %10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon\Microsoft.Windows.Client.dll,%10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon

"%10%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.2.21213\gacutil.exe" /if %10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon\Microsoft.Windows.PPLRTC1.dll,%10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon

"%10%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.2.21213\gacutil.exe" /if %10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon\Microsoft.Windows.PPLRTC2.dll,%10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon

"%10%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.2.21213\gacutil.exe" /if %10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon\Microsoft.Windows.PPLRTC-MSGR.dll,%10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon

"%10%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.2.21213\gacutil.exe" /if %10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon\Microsoft.Windows.PPLRTC-RTCv1.dll,%10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon

[ngens]

"%10%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.2.21213\ngen.exe" %10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon\ShellInterop.dll,%10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon

"%10%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.2.21213\ngen.exe" %10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon\Microsoft.Windows.Client.dll,%10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon

"%10%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.2.21213\ngen.exe" %10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon\Microsoft.Windows.PPLRTC1.dll,%10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon

"%10%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.2.21213\ngen.exe" %10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon\Microsoft.Windows.PPLRTC2.dll,%10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon

"%10%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.2.21213\ngen.exe" %10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon\Microsoft.Windows.PPLRTC-MSGR.dll,%10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon

"%10%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.2.21213\ngen.exe" %10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon\Microsoft.Windows.PPLRTC-RTCv1.dll,%10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon

[regasms]

"%10%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.2.21213\regasm.exe" /silent /tlb %10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon\Microsoft.Windows.PPLRTC1.dll,%10%\Microsoft.NET\Avalon

[RegSvr]

10,Microsoft.NET\Avalon,Microsoft.Windows.PPLRTC2.dll,3

[strings]

sidebar_desc="Sidebar"

sidebar_tip="Sidebar"

that was in sidebar.inf

ok, so we need .NET Framework 1.2 and the sidebar is in an .INF file.... so is it possible for someone to figure out a way to get it into xp?

Oh, and don't look at me for that :no: - I'm too WhAcKeD :blink:

i had the same problem with SmartBar XP as well.....it's better to wait for longhorn rather then slowin down our systems just for that bar, even though i have no problems with my ram

hmm maybe i had a pre beta,a fake or something becouse this summer i was running the longhorn dashboard whit win xp sp1 and the .NET Framwork version 1.1..

when i get off work i will se if i havent deleted it..