iOS 5 is now available via iTunes.

Yeah, when you send a message it says "text message" if it's going to be sent as a text message, and I assume something else if it's not. While I sent a message to someone with an iPhone yesterday, I believe both parties have to be on iOS 5 for it to work.

Yea, iMessage only works with iOS 5 devices.

An easy way to tell if you're using iMessage is by looking at Send button. If it's blue, it's going to be sent as an iMessage (unless something keeps it from going through). If it's green, it's a text message.

On an iPad it's ****ing me off that Messages won't show who's actually using iOS 5. I have to guess or somehow learn by heart who's using what?

I think it detects who’s using iOS5 when you receive a first text message from a person. I guess in each SMS, there are headers which give a little info about the OS, and then your device knows that next time, you’ll both work with iMessage.

I'm picking up a iPhone with Sprint today and I can't wait for a untethered jailbreak to be released. I will be getting iPhone 4 not 4s due to money but the 4 is a great phone anyway and it's only $99 :)

I think it detects who’s using iOS5 when you receive a first text message from a person. I guess in each SMS, there are headers which give a little info about the OS, and then your device knows that next time, you’ll both work with iMessage.

How is that relevant to someone using an iPad? Same goes for FaceTime: You have no idea who's using it and what you have to use to contact said person email or phone number.

You mean an iPad without 3G?

In the end I was wrong, my iPhone detected another person’s iPhone and ability to use iMessage. I never sent him any text message before (because i have just restored my phone).

But I guess if you’re on WiFi only, it does what I said. If not, I’m still figuring out how this little black box may work …

In contacts from within Messages there isn't a single indication who's using iMessage or FaceTime. Not do the apps indicate what number/mail address to contact.

In contacts from within Messages there isn't a single indication who's using iMessage or FaceTime. Not do the apps indicate what number/mail address to contact.

Before typing in the message, there’s a placeholder text saying "Message" or "iMessage", and the send button is either blue (iMessage) or green (SMS/MMS). Also, the bubble is green if you sent it as an SMS/MMS and it’s blue if you sent it as an iMessage.

It’s subtle, but once you get the hang of it, it’s easy to understand. They wanted it as transparent as possible.

The only advantages that I see out of iMessage at this point are 1. the ability to send a message to my friend who owns only an iPod Touch and 2. the ability to send a free picture or video to my cousin, whose plan is the same as mine, which means we pay for each MMS.

Thing is, this technology will probably be obsolete very fast… as pretty much all iPhone contracts in Canada now include unlimited SMS and MMS… if it’s like this in Canada, you guys around the globe already have unlimited + 1 for sure.

Before typing in the message, there’s a placeholder text saying "Message" or "iMessage", and the send button is either blue (iMessage) or green (SMS/MMS). Also, the bubble is green if you sent it as an SMS/MMS and it’s blue if you sent it as an iMessage.

How does that apply to an iPad?

How does that apply to an iPad?

The iPad should only display blue bubbles. And will fail otherwise if it cannot send an iMessage I would imagine.

Safari crashes after half hour usage on my iPad 1 running iOS 5 ... I don't know it's just me, but the whole ipad feels kind of sluggish now :(

On my 3GS the Safari is slower when posting to websites - key lags while typing the message in the edit window and drag-scrolling the edit window is choppy. Probably related.

Otherwise, so far - so good.