What was Apple thinking releasing another 3G iphone?

DKAngel

why cant they just give us a goddamn better battery? i was lookign at my legends battery 1300mAp yet it seems i can buy a 1800 one? so why cant they give us one that will last longer

Southern Patriot

*shrugs*.... mostly because the iPhone 4s is, in my eyes, just another blatant cash grab...

Oh, like how the spec bumped models of many Android phone are a "cash grab"? How many people with current model Android phones are awaiting the next new model just because it is a little faster, has a slightly larger or better screen, or some other minor improvement?

Yusuf M.

why cant they just give us a goddamn better battery? i was lookign at my legends battery 1300mAp yet it seems i can buy a 1800 one? so why cant they give us one that will last longer

A larger battery would take up more space. And more space would mean redesigning the case. Apple decided to keep the same form factor of the iPhone 4 so a larger battery wasn't an option.

techbeck

Oh, like how the spec bumped models of many Android phone are a "cash grab"? How many people with current model Android phones are awaiting the next new model just because it is a little faster, has a slightly larger or better screen, or some other minor improvement?

Not sure, but I am happy with my Galaxy S. All I am waiting for is ICS to start rolling out before I upgrade my phone. But for now, I rooted it and the speed is great for me...for now.

However, I dont think many Android users upgrade their phones like they do Apple simply because many users mod their phones to make it better. Why upgrade when you can apply a different rom and get better performance? Just MO

Buttus
It's so people will upgrade to the 4S, then they release the iPhone 5 a while down the road that features 4G and then everyone has to pay full price to upgrade because you know Apple fans... Seems exactly the kind of thing Apple would do...

This! why give them everything in one phone, when you *KNOW* they're going to buy every upgrade that comes out... I'm actually surprised there's not more versions of the 3 and 4 iphones...

Lexcyn

4G is not even really 4G as far as I am concerned. Once LTE is more common I can then see them releasing a true 4G version.

Southern Patriot

4G is not even really 4G as far as I am concerned. Once LTE is more common I can then see them releasing a true 4G version.

That's exactly why Cook made the point in the announcement of the 4S that the speeds that it is capable of are what many other companies (those not on LTE) are already calling "4G" (here in the US at least, not sure what the situation is in other countries).

Chasethebase

The majority of the planet does not support 4G, as such there's no point investing the money into developing a phone with the technology. Yet.

Elliott
Cant switch from 3g to 4g and only use 4g when you need better speed? Dont see what battery life would be that big of an issue.

That sort of thinking is what creates poor experiences for the user. I doubt most people know how to even switch off 3G on an iPhone.

DeadEndAccount
The majority of the planet does not support 4G, as such there's no point investing the money into developing a phone with the technology. Yet.

One could argue that a good amount of the planet doesn't even have consistent 3G coverage yet - take a look at the mobile phone networks in the US. Maybe instead of this break neck half baked networks being setup how about a consistent 3G experience nation wide rather than this hodgepodge situation where one constantly drops back to 2G the moment one leaves the CBD of a big city.

PyX

First, battery life.

Second, we don’t have a 4G network in Canada, but LTE networks are supposedly coming this fall if the CRTC allows, but surely in 2012. AFAIK, same for the USA about the LTE network.

Since we are both a developed country, I guess there aren’t too many of us having true 4G or LTE networks in the world.

Also, mind you that Apple is California-based, if they don’t have a true 4G or LTE network over that place, how will they test it accordingly? Rent anechoic chambers somewhere else in the world and live beside it with a small shelter ? And each time they have a new prototype in California, it will need to be sent all over the world by Fedex or something? I really can’t imagine the development of this if there’s no LTE network in Apple’s Campus… sorry.

I think people can cope with a 3G device for another few months, especially because they still managed to doubled the UL/DL speed, which makes them forgivable for not including an LTE-capable chip.

bdsams

If you havent figured out how Apple operates by now, then you will be upset with every generation of product they release. They have a goldmine on their hands, why screw it up becuase 1% of the population thinks its a weak product. They dont need to be the best to sell millions, their software is what sells the products not the benchmarks of others.

• Like 1
Geoffrey B.

they were thinking it will be a while before the iPhone 5 is ready lets just throw a new phone out there that is more powerful and we don't have to re engineer to sooth the populous while we finish up the new design.

Vice

4G is just a marketing term that is being applied to all kinds of technology. Who decides what is 4G and what is not 4G? If it matches the 4G phones 14.4Mb/ps download speed then that's good enough for me.

I remember when 3G first came out and it was like 250Kb/ps down and 70Kb/ps up. Now I get 7.2Mb/ps on my 3G enabled phone and the iPhone 4S is delivering 14.4Mb/ps over what people are calling 3G. Again 3G, 4G it's just marketing it doesn't define a specific speed or technology standard. Great way to get consumers to upgrade though.

techbeck

That sort of thinking is what creates poor experiences for the user. I doubt most people know how to even switch off 3G on an iPhone.

Why would it create a poor experience knowing what your phone can and cannot do? It is handy knowing how to turn off certain features of the phone to increase battery life. Like if you dont have a charger close by and are running low on battery. Tune things differently to extend the life. If someone knows how to turn off 3/4g...they will know how to turn it back on when needed. And there are even apps to do it for you.

If you dont know how to use and work most of what you are buying, then the person buying the product isnt very smart. May as well stick with a non smart phone then.

Vice

If you dont know how to use and work most of what you are buying, then the person buying the product isnt very smart. May as well stick with a non smart phone then.

That is who the iPhone was made for. Remember this from its unveiling?

9kjfF.jpg

Apple found a market, people who didn't think they could use a Smart Phone.

BoredBozirini

Why would I want 4G when there is not support where I am.

Also, before talking about a blatant cash grab because the only difference is speed: how many Samsung Galaxy phones exist? A **** ton. And with marginal differences.

techbeck

That is who the iPhone was made for. Remember this from its unveiling?

Apple found a market, people who didn't think they could use a Smart Phone.

Then if you dont know what your phone can do, then you cannot use a smart phone. So you should stick with a basic cell phone IMO. And I am not just talking about Apple....Android and MS to. Doesnt take long to read up about what you buy and lean the features and what it can do.

Vice

Then if you dont know what your phone can do, then you cannot use a smart phone. So you should stick with a basic cell phone IMO. And I am not just talking about Apple....Android and MS to. Doesnt take long to read up about what you buy and lean the features and what it can do.

To what are you referring to exactly, what features do iPhone owners not know they have?

TokyoKiller

Some of you are disregarding the fact that deploying a new technology (4G/LTE) would increase the R&D cost substantially and considering the premium that Apple products come at, it'll be one pricey iPhone.

Besides, carriers (at least in Canada) are being quiet idiotic about LTE. LTE has now been launched in our major cities and they are charging totally different rates (more) if you want to be on the LTE network, which makes no sense to me, so for Apple to invest so much into it now when the technology is not mature, expensive and not widespread is a big expense for the customer, up front and forward.

Those of you alleging that its all about being 'first' to 4G/LTE is key, lets not forget that Nokia and almost every manufacturer on the market had a 3G phone years before Apple released their iPhone 3G, and look at the market today, dominated by Apple. One company and one phone, unlike Android which is a platform with hundreds possibly thousands of different phone models. Success doesn't lie in who is first or his original, it lies with how you can put together a good product from all corners, from marketing, packaging, aesthetics to over all ease of use and understanding, something Apple knows and cares enough to consider when pushing a product out.

Apple will be the company that comes out with 4G/LTE at the right time, quote me on it.

Jub

I think it's both good and bad. I think that companies should help drive technology forward and not take the back seat and ride along others doing so. There is benefit to '4G' technology. In Sweden, for example, they rolled out 80Mb/s '4G' almost two years ago and it's nationwide, and that's just the start. They are aiming at a lot higher speeds soon. I can think of so many benefits of this, for example, fast broadband on-the-go and a replacement for the oh-so-terrible abomination called DSL that we're plagued with especially here in the UK.

On the other hand, as many have expressed concerns over, the battery life would take a great hit. And in general, 4G doesn't feel like a consistent platform, with everyone using the term to their own advantage.

I support their decision, but it'll be rather strange if the next model doesn't have it.

.Neo

Why would it create a poor experience knowing what your phone can and cannot do? It is handy knowing how to turn off certain features of the phone to increase battery life. Like if you dont have a charger close by and are running low on battery. Tune things differently to extend the life. If someone knows how to turn off 3/4g...they will know how to turn it back on when needed. And there are even apps to do it for you.

Fact is that many users simply don't know about any of that.

rajputwarrior

i really don't see the point of 4g other then streaming video to your phone at high quality. but doing that kills your bandwidth usage and most people can't do that becuase of their data plan... plus LTE and 4G modems battery usage is terrible as of now.

most smartphones battery life is crap with all the bells and whistles enabled, i can't even imagine it with an LTE/4G modem inside...

Rippleman

4g is a myth... for those claiming "I have it on my phone" then show us you can download a movie in 3 mins. I am betting you can't.

Elliott

Fact is that many users simply don't know about any of that.

Nor should they have to. The default user experience is the most important, and if your default includes a 4G chipset that limits you to 5 hours of battery life, you've got a serious problem with your UX.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By anmol112
      Here are the devices eligible for iOS 15, iPadOS 15, macOS Monterey, and watchOS 8 update
      by Anmol Mehrotra

At their annual developer event, Apple announced new updates for iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch. All the updates come with new features, improvements and thanks to Apple's track record, they will be available for all the recently launched Apple devices.

Starting off with iPhones, Apple announced the iOS 15 update for iPhone owners. The new update brings Live text to photos, photo memories, new wallet features, notification improvements, and FaceTime support for Windows 10 and Android. Here is the list of devices that will be eligible to get the new iOS 15 update:

iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max iPhone X, iPhone XR iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus iPhone SE (first and second generation) iPod Touch (seventh generation) Moving on to iPadOS 15, the new update brings improvements to widget, new multi-tasking improvements, Auto translate and more. You can head down to check out the full list of eligible devices:

iPad Pro 12.9-inch (first, second, third, fourth and fififth generation) iPad Pro 11-inch (first, second and third generation) iPad Pro 10.5-inch iPad Pro 9.7-inch iPad (fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth generation) iPad Mini (fourth and fifth generation) iPad Air (second, third and fourth generation) Next up is the macOS Monterey update. The update brings new features and improvements to the first party apps as well as a new focus mode. It also includes a new Universal Control feature allowing users to move seamlessly between Apple devices. Here is the list of devices that will support the new macOS update:

iMac (late 2015 and later) iMac Pro (2017 and later) Mac Pro (late 2013 and later) Mac Mini (late 2014 and later) MacBook Pro (early 2015 and later) MacBook Air (early 2015 and later) MacBook (early 2016 and later) Lastly, Apple also announced the WatchOS 8 update for Apple Watch owners. The new update brings health features including a new Mindfulness app, new fitness routines, respiratory rate monitor and more. You can check out the list of eligible devices below:

Apple Watch Series 3 Apple Watch Series 4 Apple Watch Series 5 Apple Watch Series 6 Apple Watch SE Apple will be dropping the Developer beta later today and it will be available for all the eligible devices. However, we do not recommend installing the Developer beta right away as it could have bugs and issues that are yet to be ironed out. The Cupertino giant will be releasing a public beta soon which will be followed by a global update roll out for all the eligible devices later this year.

• By Abhay V
      Apple announces iOS 15 with notification improvements, new FaceTime features, and more
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Apple today took to the stage at its WWDC conference and the first of the announcements is iOS 15. The company started off talking about FaceTime, announcing that it is bringing spatial audio to the video conferencing service. The app is also adding what the company calls noise isolation, helping silence background sounds to amplify users’ voices.

The firm also announced FaceTime links, bringing the ability to send meeting invites to users on not just iOS, but also Windows and Android to join FaceTime calls via the browser. Another new addition is SharePlay, a feature in FaceTime that allows users to share their device screens, watch content on streaming platforms, or listening to music together. The firm is also introducing APIs for streaming platforms to add support for SharePlay

Next up is Shared with you, a way to share news items and other types of content right with other users easily. These items can also be pinned in iMessages. The firm is adding support for apps like Podcast, Apple Music, Apple TV, and more for Shared with you.

Notifications are getting a major update with the addition of Notification summary. iOS 15 will summarize notifications from non-important apps to reduce clutter on the lock screen. Users will be provided the choice to select contacts and apps that can break through and display complete notifications. Notification summary uses “on-device intelligence” to tweak these summaries.

However, users can choose to turn on Do Not Disturb to block all notifications or choose the apps and contacts that can bypass the restrictions to serve notifications, thanks to Focus. Focus will also allow for adding relevant widgets with information on the home screen.

Next up is Live Text for Photos, a Google Lens-like feature that allows users to detect content from across the OS like text and look them up on the web. Users can also lookup locations from pictures, recognize characters in images, and more. Live Text works not just with images, but also with the web, and across iOS, iPadOS, and macOS.

There are updates to a bunch of apps as well, with the first being Spotlight. Apple is adding support for Photos in Spotlight, allowing users to search for images right from the home screen. The company is also adding rich information in Contacts, bringing information from services like Find My into the contact’s cards. The firm is also adding specialized cards for celebrities.

In the list of Google-inspired features, there’s the Memories feature in Photos. iOS 15 will create interactive memories based on users’ images using its on-device machine learning. It will also let users interact with the memories by adding or removing images and choose what shows up, add music, and more.

Other app improvements include added capabilities to the Wallet app that allows for storing government-issued identity cards, allowing users to carry a digital copy of their IDs. The firm is also expanding the use of Wallet as a lock or access system by leveraging the UWB technology in iPhone. These include car keys, hotel access cards, and more.

The Weather app is being redesigned with a bunch of new information, with a background that adapts to the current weather situation. Lastly, the Maps app is receiving some improvements such as a an improved design and added details for commercial buildings and more. There is also a new Nearby Transit feature and the ability to the app to notify users when it is time to disembark from public transport.

• By News Staff
      Access 210+ curated apps for both Mac and iPhone at 42% off with Setapp
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Apps + Software section of the Neowin Deals store, where for only a limited time, you can save 42% off a 1-year subscription to Setapp. Access 210+ curated apps for both Mac and iPhone and start focusing on your work.

Setapp is the next generation productivity service for Mac and iPhone users to get the right way and tools to organize their work, with a curated collection of 210+ apps and personalized app recommendation system. Like a genie’s lamp, Setapp is bursting with tools that easily install to boost workflow. With a Setapp membership, get every app available now and every app to come.

Access to 210+ apps gives you the endless joy of discovery Browse a library of apps spanning maintenance, lifestyle, Mac hacks & productivity, task management, developer tools, creativity, personal finance, & more Use apps without distractions, in-app purchases, or ads Get new software without paying for costly upgrades so you always have the latest version No need to separate Mac & iPhone routines - with Setapp, your apps are fully synced across devices A 1-year subscription to Setapp normally costs $119, but you can pick it up for just $69 for a limited time - that represents a saving of $50 (42% off). For a full description, spec, and terms, click the link below.

Get this deal, or learn more about it
      Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other deals on offer you can check out here.

Enter giveaways: Polycade Home Arcade | $5K in cash | $10K in Crypto Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Neowin Store for our preferred partners. Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By indospot
      Apple announces new accessibility features across its products, sign language support
      by João Carrasqueira

Apple is launching a new support service called SignTime, which provides live sessions with agents using sign language, along with a range of accessibility-focused improvements that are making their way to various Apple products and services later this year.

Starting with SignTime, it's a new support service launching on May 20, next Thursday, and it allows users with limited speaking or hearing abilities to get help from Apple support teams more easily and over the phone. The service is accessible from their web browser for pre-booked sessions, but Apple Stores will also offer the ability to start remote SignTime sessions without booking ahead of time. This will initially be available in the United States, United Kingdom, and France, in their respective sign languages, but more countries will be supported later on.

On to software features, there's a lot coming later this year. Starting with the Apple Watch, there's a new feature called AssistiveTouch, which lets users navigate the interface using just one hand: the one that's wearing the watch. Using its hardware sensors, the Apple Watch will be able to detect gestures like clenching your fist or pinching, which translate to moving a cursor or changing focus to a different object on the screen. You can see it in action below.

Over on the iPad, Apple is adding support for eye tracking using external devices in the MFi program. Additionally, the firm is adding support for bi-direction hearing aids in the MFi program, making it easier for those with hearing disabilities to take calls more easily. Apple is also adding the ability to recognize audiogram results in Headphone Accommodations, so sounds can be tailored for the user's needs.

Moving on to VoiceOver, Apple's voice control tool, the company is making it possible to explore images with it. For example, if you have a picture of a table, such as a receipt, you can use voice to navigate the table by row or column, including support for headers. VoiceOver will also be able to describe a person's position and other objects in a picture, giving users a better idea of what the image is showing.

Apple is also adding new features like Sound Actions for switch controls, meaning you can make sounds like a click or pop to toggle certain software switches or buttons. New display and text size options are also coming and can be configured on an app-by-app basis, and Memoji are getting new customization options to account for users with oxygen tubes, cochlear implants, or soft helmets.

Though it's not necessarily an accessibility feature, Apple also announced Background Sounds, a new feature that plays relaxing background noises such as rain, ocean waves, and more, to help users stay calm and focused. It can also help drown out other, more distracting noises that might be happening around the user.

All of these features are coming later this year, presumably as part of the next major updates for each of Apple's operating systems.

Outside of these new features, Apple also announced a bunch of initiatives for Global Accessibility Awareness Day. Apple Fitness+ is highlighting training sessions for all kinds of users and Time to Walk is getting a rebrand to 'Time to Walk or Push' to account for wheelchair users. Other Apple services like the App Store, Apple TV, Apple Books, and Apple Maps, will all be providing content by and/or tailored to users with disabilities.

• By Usama Jawad96
      PlayStation Remote Play now supports DualSense on iOS devices
      by Usama Jawad

Sony's PlayStation Remote Play allows you to stream your games to other devices such as PCs and handsets, allowing you to pick up where you left off across multiple platforms. The feature was announced back in 2015 and supports PS5, PS4, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android devices. Previously, mobile devices only offered Remote Play with the DualShock 4 controller. This changes now as Sony has rolled out support for the PlayStation 5's DualSense on iOS devices.

As of now, iOS 14.5 or above is required to pair a DualSense controller with an iPhone via Bluetooth. Other requirements such as having a minimum of 5MB broadband internet remains the same.

IGN tested the DualSense controller with an iPhone and noted some issues with support. For example, haptics seemingly do not work with Sony-published titles such as Astro's Playroom and MLB The Show 21. Similarly, while Adaptive Triggers function, haptics once again fail in Remedy's Control. Moreover, the headphone jack and the built-in speaker don't seem to be working yet either. It's unclear when and if these issues will be fixed. In a sort of a disclaimer at the bottom of its product page, Sony has cautioned that "availability of DualSense features such as audio output and haptic effects vary when using remote play on PC, Mac, iPhone or iPad; some features may not be available."

While Remote Play does not provide support for DualSense on Android devices at this point in time, it's likely that this support will be rolled out sooner rather than later. In the meantime, if you have a compatible iPhone and a DualSense controller, you can give Remote Play a shot by downloading the application from the App Store here.