What makes Android better?

I dunno, Steve Jobs apparently laid out a 4 year plan for them, and given how successful Apple has been under his direction, I'd expect them to follow it pretty closely for at least 2, because that's about as long as it would take for them to start noticing something's not right.

I might be missing something here, but people keep saying "I can do what I like with my android phone". From my knowledge, you're probably going to have to root your device to install a custom rom? How is this any different to jailbreaking? Not bashing, but from my limited android knowledge you can't even freely upgrade to the latest version of the OS without waiting for you're carrier or rooting, if I'm correct?

• Like 1

I might be missing something here, but people keep saying "I can do what I like with my android phone". From my knowledge, you're probably going to have to root your device to install a custom rom? How is this any different to jailbreaking? Not bashing, but from my limited android knowledge you can't even freely upgrade to the latest version of the OS without waiting for you're carrier or rooting, if I'm correct?

You do not need to root your phone to customize it. What's the point of jailbreaking an iphone besides cydia? not much. with android only thing you need root for in changing roms which you cant even do on iOS with or without jailbreaking it.

I've always said a stock android phone is more open than a jailbroken iphone.

You do not need to root your phone to customize it. What's the point of jailbreaking an iphone besides cydia? not much. with android only thing you need root for in changing roms which you cant even do on iOS with or without jailbreaking it.

I've always said a stock android phone is more open than a jailbroken iphone.

It's more open in the sense you can have different keyboards or widgets on the home screen, but not if you want to upgrade to the latest version of the OS? Also you say the only thing you need to root is for changing roms - the amazon kindle fire seems like a perfect counter argument to that seeing as its locked down to amazons store? I just don't think Android is as open as people make it out to be.

Apple's main problem is this: Customization

Not much of a problem considering the vast majority of people want a product that works and looks good out-of-the-box rather than spend countless hours tweaking every aspect of the software.

1. you can now do everything wirelessly without plugging in your iPhone to the Pc

2. iOS dont need widgets as it can have Full screen Apps acts like widgets or the new Notification center

3. yea iOS5 now has a notification center and notification bar balloon thing at the top as well as lock screen notification all of which was created by a Jailbreak App Developer who now works for Apple

4. you can now do that in IOS 5

5. in iOS ther is no need to as the App store has all the apps you could want . but you could JB your idevice if you truly wanted other stuff

6. That is the only thing you may have there but so what some may not mind paying for an App such as a navigation app or so

EM Mapquest is navigation for FREE and talks to you.... Ive been using it for 2 years now. So no, android does not have that on us anymore.

Still not good enough. They've reduced the death grip issue but not eliminated it entirely.

To do the death grip on an iPhone 4S, you have to hold the phone in a completely unnatural and ridiculous way.

To fix it entirely, you’d need an antenna that would be OUTSIDE the hand grip. This is also true for all phones. Instead of blaming the phone, blame the physical laws that surround us.

To do the death grip on an iPhone 4S, you have to hold the phone in a completely unnatural and ridiculous way.

To fix it entirely, you’d need an antenna that would be OUTSIDE the hand grip. This is also true for all phones. Instead of blaming the phone, blame the physical laws that surround us.

It's not that unnatural and ridiculous, if you're holding it landscape with both hands playing an online game like Eliminate, you can bridge all the points necessary to kill it. They should be designing it with an internal antenna, and without a metal case.

android is customizable, iOS isn't, i've got a completely different phone from what i purchased and thats just cool :-D

Thats all well and good. I might have gotten too old, but can't be bothered to customise a phone lol

Now a tablet that be more worthwhile for some reason, but I can't say I even bother really customising my computer any more, I get it setup just so it works and is laid out in the most logical organised way.

I will give you my own, personal, non-retard, non-fanboy opinion as I own both an Android HTC Inspire and an iPhone 4S:

The Android devices - most of them (especially the HTC line - have a beautiful 4.3" screen while the iPhone 4S has a 3.5" screen, which is also beautiful. The only reason I got an iPhone 4S is because of the apps. There are apps that I use a lot that are simply not available for Android and the few that are available either crash (force close) a lot or simply don't work right. Let's face it and be realistic, the Android market place is a mess. There is no "quality" control like in the iPhone Apps Store. The Android apps simply suck. The Android device GUI is faster than the iOS interface. It's snappier compared to the one on the iPhone. The Android device can be customized heavily while the iOS phone cannot. Both consume the same amount of battery.

I had a lot of problems sending and receiving text messages with photos on them on the Android Inspire, on the iPhone 4S I have no such issues.

The Android devices such as the HTC Inspire and the Samsung Galaxy S will never see Ice Cream Sandwich. They are stuck at their respective versions, in my case Android 2.3.4. There will be no more updates for that phone as far as Android is concerned. Apple on the other hand, updates iOS every so many months and allows every device, except the iPhone 3G, to update to the latest iOS version.

I also own an Apple TV and an iMac so the iPhone seems like a logical choice to use with those devices since I cannot use my Android phone with the Apple TV. I have 2 cameras on my iPhone 4S, I have 1 camera on my Android. The video quality and photo quality of the iPhone 4S is much better than the Android counterpart. The speaker phone on the iPhone 4S is much, much better than the one on the Inspire.

So, do I miss my 4.3" Android screen? Yes. Would I go back to Android? No.

if you are really concerned about upgrade why dont you get a nexus phone and they always get an upgrade and also if u dont like the phone u always have the option of installing custom rom on ur android phone....

1. you can now do everything wirelessly without plugging in your iPhone to the Pc

2. iOS dont need widgets as it can have Full screen Apps acts like widgets or the new Notification center

3. yea iOS5 now has a notification center and notification bar balloon thing at the top as well as lock screen notification all of which was created by a Jailbreak App Developer who now works for Apple

4. you can now do that in IOS 5

5. in iOS ther is no need to as the App store has all the apps you could want . but you could JB your idevice if you truly wanted other stuff

6. That is the only thing you may have there but so what some may not mind paying for an App such as a navigation app or so

discuss why people like the OS and not to justify which is good or bad... so keep ur fcking opinion to urself

if you are really concerned about upgrade why dont you get a nexus phone and they always get an upgrade and also if u dont like the phone u always have the option of installing custom rom on ur android phone....

discuss why people like the OS and not to justify which is good or bad... so keep ur fcking opinion to urself

A problem for me is that some fans of android are very vocal in their support of android (in a bad way) and seem to feel the need to push their opinions of it others.

Android has its place. Both platforms, iOS and Android, have their pros and cons. I am 100% sure that the next iPhone is going to be a total re-design and will be 10 times better than the current model.

Apple's main problem is this: Customization

Now that Steve Jobs is gone (RIP), they need to re-think their strategies. They need to change iOS and let the user do more customizing. Open the OS more, let the user do more without the need to Jailbreak their phones. If Apple does this, they will gain more users to the iPhone and properly compete with Android in that level.

Apple are not going to completely re-design the iPhone. They're selling record numbers of devices with every new release, they're obviously doing something right. Why would they completely re-design the device and/or platform? That would be too big a risk.

A problem for me is that some fans of android are very vocal in their support of android (in a bad way) and seem to feel the need to push their opinions of it others.

then you should feel the same with IOS fans too.... unless you are an IOS fan....

then you should feel the same with IOS fans too.... unless you are an IOS fan....

Unfortunatly the person you commentated on didn't try to push iOS or suggest some one should get it, he just said why he prefered it, he also didn't get abusive like you did.

I find that it is my experience on this forum that it is more likely the Android that will try and push their choice on to others.

Unfortunatly the person you commentated on didn't try to push iOS or suggest some one should get it, he just said why he prefered it, he also didn't get abusive like you did.

I find that it is my experience on this forum that it is more likely the Android that will try and push their choice on to others.

no sorry he didnt say why he preferred it but he opposed on someone's preference/opinion... that's not called someones opinion but just bashing...

if he had a opinion/preference he would have not replied and bashed but just say his opinion

Not much of a problem considering the vast majority of people want a product that works and looks good out-of-the-box rather than spend countless hours tweaking every aspect of the software.

If you're going to be using something for years, you won't mind it so much. It's also not just the tweakability, but the complete lack of options. I hate the iOS keyboard, and there's no way to change it with something else (such as Swype, which Apple only wanted if they had exclusive control over it). The only thing you can do is turn auto-correct off, but it's still tedious. The Windows Phone keyboard is much better out of the box, so not quite as problematic, and there's also the option to buy a couple models with hard keyboards, so that's slightly more options, but Android gives you a whole bunch of choices, and if you're going to be spending a lot of time interacting with a keyboard you want one that doesn't frustrate you.

If you're going to be using something for years, you won't mind it so much. It's also not just the tweakability, but the complete lack of options. I hate the iOS keyboard, and there's no way to change it with something else (such as Swype, which Apple only wanted if they had exclusive control over it). The only thing you can do is turn auto-correct off, but it's still tedious. The Windows Phone keyboard is much better out of the box, so not quite as problematic, and there's also the option to buy a couple models with hard keyboards, so that's slightly more options, but Android gives you a whole bunch of choices, and if you're going to be spending a lot of time interacting with a keyboard you want one that doesn't frustrate you.

The Android keyboard isn't any better dude. I can tell you that every time I typed on the Inspire keyboard I made so many mistakes it wasn't funny, yet on the iPhone keyboard, although is smaller, it seems more accurate. I don't misspell words or anything like that. I type and everything comes out perfect.

I tried custom ROMS before. They are very buggy. Not worth it.

The Android keyboard isn't any better dude. I can tell you that every time I typed on the Inspire keyboard I made so many mistakes it wasn't funny, yet on the iPhone keyboard, although is smaller, it seems more accurate. I don't misspell words or anything like that. I type and everything comes out perfect.

I tried custom ROMS before. They are very buggy. Not worth it.

Technically the HTC Inspire is using HTC keyboard per say. It's on Android but it's not what Google made. HTC Keyboard however is said to be good but I don't like it. I can bang out stuff on the Gingerbread AOSP keyboard much better. Even though it's smaller (-1pt for that) it gets what i'm typing without having to be perfectly hitting the right key. That's what I think slows down people on touch screen phones. When i switched from a Blackberry Bold to Android i was just hating the keyboard. Once I realized I can just mash away at what should be the general area of the key i'm looking for(even with my big man hands) it works just fine. I have no problem now typing 2-4 paged SMS while before i'd try to keep it short.

Granted my one of my loves of Android (CyanogenMod) is not default per say but it's simply being able to change the call log and contacts to show or not show some things. I like my SMS with a black background instead of white, hurts eyes to read in the middle of the night with white background. The default Android stuff though like being able to change launchers (to even look like iOS or WP7 if i want) is good too. I wont say it doesn't have it's own issues too, but for me I guess custom anything is what makes me love Android more.