People Still Calling a "Tower" the "CPU"

Now that I thought of it, I don't think I've ever heard anyone call it the "CPU". It's always the "computer".

A lot of my customers call it "the Modem"

That is what I always hear, and "CPU."

Both drive me nuts!

What I hate the most though is when people say "I downloaded it offline."

Or "I uploaded it last night," when they are referring to downloading something.

A friend of my mother-in-law sent word that she wanted me to look at her sons computer.

She called and asked me what she should bring. I said just the box, the one the electric cord is plugged into, not the keyboard, not the mouse not the screen.

When she arrived all she had was the big CRT monitor.

:angry:

I just work to the level of my client. "The Tower" becomes "that box by your feet," "The monitor" becomes, "screen of light," speakers are "the noisy things," a keyboard "the typewriter" and the mouse "that thing in your right hand...no, not that thing, sir."

Jokes aside, I use the technical term first and normally find myself translating to the level of the user I'm trying to help. I can't say that it bothers me. I wouldn't be doing the job if it was that annoying for me.

• Like 2

i call it the 'chassis' ... well if i am referring to just the case of the computer with nothing inside it

but otherwise i just call it... the computer?

A friend of my mother-in-law sent word that she wanted me to look at her sons computer.

She called and asked me what she should bring. I said just the box, the one the electric cord is plugged into, not the keyboard, not the mouse not the screen.

When she arrived all she had was the big CRT monitor.

:angry:

thats one thing that Apple did get right!

I have customers who call it a "modem" all the time. When you explain that it is not a modem and that the modem (if there is one) would be a card inside the computer, it about blows their brain cell up LOL. (notice I used "cell" and not "cells" hehe)

I call the whole system the Case or System (with my spanish clients) but I don't stand people who call the whole system CPU :-D

I hate it more if the person sniffs and then calls it a CPU. I hate people sniffing on the trains and coughing as well.. don't even get me started on not putting their hand over their mouth when they sneeze...

i really hate when people call it the "cpu" or the "tower." it's the computer. and dont point at the monitor and call it the "computer." it's a monitor.

http://www.apple.com/imac/

I am just playing around, I know exactly what you mean. I am also annoyed by this. (I just thought of imacs when reading this comment haha)

When referring to my computer, I call it "The rig" or "my rig". Most of the people I deal with call it "the/my computer" or "the tower". I have had a few call it "the MODEM" and it makes me cringe. If someone called it "Super-computing electronic data master 5000 optical reading wonder machine with pictures" I'd still think that's better than calling it a MODEM.

The correct term is "system unit"

It's funny how others get irritated by various terminology, it's as equally frustrating when the average joe can't figure out what to say in order to explain something to a more educated person on the subject.

I was taught in elementary school that the tower is called the "Central Unit".

Only recently I realised that the name derived from "Central Processing Unit" and how someone must've made a terrible mistake in the process. :/

And that was only yesturday. :)

"IT, my hard drive is corrupted!"

Really, how did you acertain that?

"There are squiggly lines on my screen."

Ah I see. A sure fire fix for a corrupted hard drive is to secure the blue or white monitor cable.

zOMGz!