People Still Calling a "Tower" the "CPU"

I call the main case the Tower. Screen the monitor and the entire system the computer. However, I do sometimes refer to the Tower as a computer (ie: I have my computer hooked up to the TV). But for the most part, I will say: "Yea, let me just move my Tower" or "It's on the tower."

The way I call them:

Computer = My Computer

Laptop = My Laptop (thank god it not an Apple, Mac, iMac etc.).

iPad = My iPad

iPod = My iPod

Just simple to remember. . . :)

For whatever reason, maybe it's regional, but so many people around here call it a modem.

I've heard a lot, but never a 'modem'.

People I know usually think the monitor is the computer, and the actual tower is usually called "the box" or "the harddisk".

I've heard a lot, but never a 'modem'.

People I know usually think the monitor is the computer, and the actual tower is usually called "the box" or "the harddisk".

They must love working out what computers like an iMac is :p

I call it anything that the user understands ... I have gone as far as calling HD and RAm both memory, or call it tower, the big box thing

and, on some occasion, I have told the user the tower is broken, even though I knew the video card was busted just so that I don't have to explain what is going on and listen to their idiotic comments and suggestions

I am right there with you on this. Whenever I am talking to someone I am constantly dumbing it down and actually giving misleading info just to avoid explaining everything.

When I was a tech, I would get so fed up with certain people, the ones who would ask "Well what all did you do to justify $300 repair ?" - my reply would be, "If I told you... do you really think you would understand what I was saying ?"

On the flip side, I would use car analogies to people I didnt mind explaining things to. The worst though is when I am @ Fry's or Best Buy, and their idiot staff makes a comment that is completely wrong, I'll never correct them, but usually just say, "oh OK I didnt know that"