New to Windows 7 Phone

Just got me a HTC Trophy Phone. What should i do with it first?. can i sync it with my Google Contacts? Looking forward to seeing how a Windows Phone runs and what i can do with it. any tips would be great!

Congratulations on getting a Windows 7 Phone. I just want to learn it, to have a better understanding of it!

I said first check for software updates

And tell us which phone did you used before this one

I said first check for software updates

And tell us which phone did you used before this one

got rid of my iPhone4 and was going to get a SG2, but got this cheap...

first if your phone not mango update it to mango

you have to download zune software for music, video and updates

second yes you can sync google account with contacts and calender etc

check this link

http://www.microsoft...il-account.aspx

third if you want apps check this topic

on neowin

http://www.neowin.ne...-best-wp7-apps/

on wpcentral

http://forums.wpcent...apps/176887.htm

if you want to ask more questions you could ask on wpcentral forum or here

congratulations bro :D

you can also check and buy apps from the web marketplace

here

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/marketplace

Cocktail Flow, System View, Torrent Buddy, and if you like Magic: The Gathering, (shameless plug!) Urza's assistant. Congress is pretty cool if you're into politics, There's an FML app (FML), failblog (fail++), Hangover Helper, Netflix, Facebook, Nyan, Send to WP7, And Weather (Microsoft Corp). Lastly, be aware that most functions are built into the OS, there's really not much that you need to download.

Oh, and games. Lots and lots of games :)

Edit: also, numeric, wordament, and check out some of the photo wditing apps -especially the ones that integrate with the camera app... And alien news if you reddit.

First: Take the time to go through all the available options and settings so you can have an understanding of where is and what each setting do.

Second: Configure your mail accounts and decide if you want to unify them or have them separately. I Have 4 accounts, 3 of them are unified so I have only 1 live tile, and the other one I have it set to manually check it because I seldom get mail there.

Third: Set your Facebook, Twitter and Linked In accounts if you have any and go through your contact list and check for duplicates. You can link a contact's info from Facebook, Twitter etc into your main contact account (you said you had a Gmail account). For me, it's a must to have my contacts tidily organized and linked.

Fourth: Installing third-party apps. My recommendations: WhatsApp or Kik Messenger (the latter if better in WP7 right now), AppFlow (amazing interface and very useful for finding apps that otherwise you may miss), WeatherBug (or another weather app you choose), Network Dashboard to have tiles for fast toggle of WiFi and Bluetooth connections. 4th & Major or the official foursquare app. Install both and see which like the most.

Oh, install the Insider app so you can see tips & tips, wallpapers, ringtones and more from Microsoft.

That's what I would do if I were you :D Good luck and welcome to WP, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

First. Enjoy the brilliantly designed Interface.

2nd. Update your phone and sync the pictures music and other stuff you want through zune.

3rd. Setup all the accounts on your phone. Mail and social networks. And check all the settings menu and make sure everything is to your liking.

4th. Go to the marketplace and download all the apps you need. (Id say do download PULSE)

5th. Enjoy the speedy performance of WP7.5 and the awesome SN interngration. (and get familiar with the whole system).

Let's hear your opinion going from iOS to WP.

Apart from missing one or two apps (although I can live without them/have them on my iPad) and Internet Explorer being a bit weird for me. It's a bloody well solid operating system.

The Facebook/Twitter integration is lovely although slightly stalkery.

(went from 3GS to HTC TItan)

Some app suggestions:

Birdsong

Adobe Reader

Boxfiles (if you regularly use Dropbox)

Easytube

gMaps

SimpliRSS

Toggle (puts wifi and other toggle options on your homescreen)

nice thanks alot people. Could you tell me, if i want something more powerful, what's the top of the line windows 7 phone!.

A lot of people would say the HTC Mozart, but personally I think you bought the best phone out to date >.<

Some of the other phones have better screens or better looks or better cameras, but I think the trophy is the best "all round" WP7 device so far :)

are there offline maps for windows7 phone?

Yep, check out Navigon or Turn by Turn Navigation. Or you could wait for Nokia Maps but price (could be free), and release date haven't been announced yet.

just got my phone in the mail today! for $360NZ im really impressed by this phone! i have had other android phones for around the same price, but this phone seem more faster and nicer to use.

I laugh at people who gets the HTC Titan. Resolution for the 4.7 inch screen is bad!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. I just joined the WP7 community, after about 1 year of Android experience. I had a Samsung Galaxy SL, and now I bought a Samsung Omnia 7. I loved the SL, such an amazing phone, but, sadly, the OS draws it back. I'm quite sad to say that Android is nowhere near WP7 in terms of stability, beauty and professionalism (don't know how to say it otherwise). I got bored with it, I got tired of flashing a new rom every damn month, just to see that basically nothing is changed. There's random lag, force close errors, etc... It's just like coming from Ubuntu or some other Linux distro to Windows 7. Both get your stuff done, but in ohhhh so different ways. :)

Anyway, I absolutely love WP7, so damn snappy, bright, feels like a "live" phone. Don't know how do describe it differently. I do miss some Android apps that I didn't find WP7 alternatives for, but oh well...can't have them all. :) There are also some things about WP7 that really shocked me, like the lack of a way to add a custom ringtone to notifications, or set more than one APN (I have 3 from the mobile provider, so...). Also, no flash, no alternative browser, etc. It's hard coming from an OS that lets you customize everything.

About those apps that I talked about, the no. 1 app that I miss (or a feature of it, to be more specific) is GO SMS Pro. That app has a Private box for sms and mms, and I couldn't find anything similar for WP7... Also, on this phone at least, the youtube playback is laggy, even on HQ. On HD is worse, I don't know why. I tried 2 different YT apps and the mobile YT website, it's the same. Not a really big issue for me, but I would like to know why this is happening.

Anyway, overall I am very happy with my decision. In time I'm sure that WP7 will mature even more and give us much more features that we miss right now. :)