Internet Explorer 6.05 & Transplanting

Hey man, I'm just using my logic here. Every windows release I've seen that's from 2K has had seperate codebases: Windows XP was built on Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003 was built on Windows 2000 Server, so it stands to reason that Longhorn will be based on XP.

I'm perfectly willing to accept I'm wrong, but I'm not going to be won over by Pauls insight on the matter, I've searched all over google and there's nothing about Longhorn built on 2003 codebase. Please, enlighten me, I'm not interested in a huge battle here. I just want the facts.

;)

server 2003 wasn't built from 2000 server, it was built from xp. it's more or less a continuation of xp, though i don't know why it took them ~1200 builds... :huh:

xp started where 2000 left off. 2000 and 2000 server have the same build numbers, do you think that's a coincidence? don't you think it would be easier to develop ONE product and just enable/disable certain things depending which "mode" it's in? (server or workstation) in the same way, server 2003 started where the last (final) build of windows left off, 2600. though it wasn't finished until build 3790, and it ended up becoming a new version of windows (5.2). in the same sense, longhorn starts where server 2003 left off. (well actually, longhorn and server 2003 were probably in development at the same time, and the teams probably helped each other - or they were the same team) play with ntswitch or tweak nt and you should be able to see they're the same product.

windows is a product of its own; there's no "versions" of it when you're talking about the actual code. the code is the same between the workstations and the servers.

Well that sucks that Tom Servo got banned! I thought he was funny.

I think that IE would be better with the pop-up blocker and tabbed windws, then I think that I would use it just cause I like the fact that it is in the OS so much.

what the hell gives you that idea? msn has a pop up blocker, and the next version of ie will when it's finished.

Internet Explorer already has a pop-up blocker: it is called Google Toolbar. :yes:

er....the popup blocker is a part of the shell (explorer.exe) cos u can run LH4029's iexplore.exe under winxp (i know, i tried it...) but that lil program (88KB) starts a "speciaL" explorer.exe window. And...LH4029's explorer.exe not running under Xp...

it's not necessarilly in explorer.exe, there are a number of dll files IE uses; it doesn't have to be in iexplore.exe (it probably isn't anyway) and i'm almost sure it's not in explorer.exe...

edit: btw, iexplore.exe gets the path for the dlls from the registry. running iexplore.exe from a longhorn installation will cause you to use longhorn's version of iexplore.exe, but it will use xp's versions of the dlls, because iexplore.exe gets the file paths from xp's registry (xp is calling iexplore.exe, the file can't read longhorn's registry).

Edited by gameguy

Theroretically, you could Reshack the version tables of every single file, and then 'splice' Longhorn bits onto an XP install CD, and let it do the work. Be hard, tho.

Theroretically, you could Reshack the version tables of every single file, and then 'splice' Longhorn bits onto an XP install CD, and let it do the work. Be hard, tho.

no, setup checks the signatures on the files. it will notice the files aren't the same and it will give you an error for every modified file on the cd.

The only way to find out would be to check import tables of iexplore.exe and each DLL it references and put those into Windows XP.

These DLLs could be skipped for sure:

1. shell32.dll (core, would screw up Windows XP, probably doesn't depend on changes)

2. mshtml.dll (I'm sure Longhorn uses the same MSHTML as XP)

The only way would be to try. If I had a Longhorn system, I would actually try after backing up the files I would replace and downloading a NTFS-for-DOS app to put backups back if it wouldn't boot.