Wifes friend steals bandwidth. Please help.

So this is an odd setup. But my wife's childhood friend came to stay with us because she is having a rough time $$ wise. But I do work on my computer and she is constantly downloading and streaming. I've asked her not to, but she just tries to hide it and says she isn't. I don't want to create a fight so I blocked her wireless access silently with my u-verse 2-wire router. Now she says after a few days "I'm going to get a wired connection and connect it to the router" -ARG!!! Is there another way to block a laptop from connecting to a 2-wire router via a wired connection? I can't seem to find an option like that. I searched google without much luck. I have a 3600HGV router.

yeah blocking her mac address would be the best way. just login into your router and u should be able to set mac filtering on and key in her mac address. btw... what a bitch.

Let her know it's your internet (you are paying for it after all) and if she want's it, abide by your rules or GTFO. Be firm but polite so as not to upset your wife.

Block her mac address and if she complains, ask her who pays for the internet connection and who have to pay for the connection and any excess usage fees (for those with usage limits).

Look. It's your home and you make the rules. If you don't want her using the net, just say so. If your wife doesn't get the drift, get a new wife.

I'll never understand the whole "I don't want to offend anyone!" -culture that has sprung up.

Yeah I agree, c'mon your doing her a great favor and she doesn't respect you. You shouldn't need to go out of the way.

Be firm, you're not asking her to scrub your toilet.

Its bandwidth not gold...stop being a paranoid sneaky cheapskate. She probably doesnt even know how shes streaming.

The rest of u have bloodlust for vengence.

Are you actually noticing cap issues or is it the principal of the thing. Ask her no streaming and hand her a remote for thr tv

• Like 2

Its bandwidth not gold...stop being a paranoid sneaky cheapskate. She probably doesnt even know how shes streaming.

The rest of u have bloodlust for vengence.

Are you actually noticing cap issues or is it the principal of the thing. Ask her no streaming and hand her a remote for thr tv

From the sounds of it, what she is doing is affecting his work because it is slowing his network down. So yes, she is potentially affecting his source of income, therefore it might as well be gold.

Block her mac address as everyone else suggests and unless she figures out how you blocked her, and how to spoof her mac address, she won't be getting back on.

• Like 3

I would definatley set up some rules with her, in addition, I would install DD-WRT if your router supports it, and set up access restrictions based on her MAC address. That way you can block certain ports, addresses, keywords, etc from certain times of the day.

If the modem supports QOS (Quality of Service) or you've got a capable router lying around (a router flashed with DD-WRT does the trick) just add her MAC address to the QOS service and give her the BULK priority that way she can stream and download all she wants without eating your bandwidth when you need it. In such case just explain the situation to her about QOS and I'm sure she will fully agree and be thankful as well.

I agree that you need to talk to your wife about her friend and see about reducing the bandwidth, in simple terms - no watching or saving videos from your internet connection, otherwise she will need to get her own internet connection.

If a technical solution is still required, I don't think that 2wire routers support MAC Address filtering for WIRED connections as almost everyone else has suggested. MAC Address filtering is usually for WIRELESS connections. If you can't filter the MAC address, I suggest changing your LAN IP range to a random private range IP (eg: 172.16.156.0/255.266.255.0), turn off DHCP, and configure your clients manually.

She won't be able to work out why she has 'limited connectivity' (No IP Address) and even if she does, she will need to figure out what the IP range is by checking another computer, and then even further to this work out how to configure her own computer. (Security through obscurity method).

If this doesn't work, change the router's DNS servers to OpenDNS and configure filtering for everything you want. Make sure you block Port 53 on the router to all IP addresses EXCEPT for OpenDNS' IP address so she can't use a 3rd party DNS server.

All of the above is with the assumption that a 3some is not on the table :devil:

smash her laptop problem solved or to be more sneaky set her mac address to an perm IP, then ports you dont want her to use block out everything but 80 and lock down all UDP incoming (this will stop video streaming)

As others said, block the MAC address; I mainly just wanted to post: what a bitch, you're giving her a place to stay during rough times and she's stealing your signal when you asked not to, and lying about it. Some "friend" of your wife...

Treat her like a child ;) make her do chores to "work off" what she wants

Just be up front with her about it. She couldn't keep her usage down so you had to modify her connection. Perhaps allow her to use a wired connection for a better connection when you aren't working. Seems to be a fair compromise.

you could even limit how much dl/ul her mac has... limit her to 50kbs thats enough for her to watch some youtube videos at most.... eventually

You'd be surprised at how much 50kbs can do, limit her to 10kbs :shiftyninja:

If you can the best of both worlds would be to set her on a time use, such as after your done with work allow her access say between 6PM and 10PM.

As others said you may have to get a router as 2wire is very limited, but a router is cheap compared to the agravation.

As many have said its your house and your internet if using the net is your way of making money and she is making it hard for you even after you have said something to you speak to your wife and say its interfering with your work which will interfere with your income. If she says "well shes having a hard time etc etc" then why dont you do as suggested above and throttle her internet im prtty sure most routers come with QoS installed on them which would mean (according to my router) your wired connection would get priority.

QoS is an advanced feature that can be used to priority some internet applications and on-line gaming, and to minimize the impact when the bandwidth is busy.

Turn Internet Access QoS On

If Turn On, the QoS function will work to priority the Internet access traffic. For the applications, On-line Gaming, Ethernet LAN Port, or specified MAC address, that already exist in the pull-down list, you can modify the Priority level by clicking the Edit button, or clicking the Delete button to erase the priority rule. Otherwise, you may also define the priority policy for each On-line gaming, Application, LAN port, or the computer's MAC address by clicking the Add Priority Rule button.

For MAC address

To setup the priority for specified computer via MAC address:

• 1.Choose the MAC Address from the Priority Category lists.
    2.Click the Refresh button to update those computers already connected with routers.
    3.Select the entry's radio button of the table.
    4.Modify the information from the MAC address, and the Device Name boxes for easily remember.
    5.Choose the priority level: Highest, High, Normal, or Low.
    6.You may also type the name in the QoS Policy for box for this rule you preferred.
    7.Click Edit button.
    8.Click Apply.

To add the priority for specified computer via MAC address:

• 1.Choose MAC Address selection from the Priority Category lists.
    2.Input the MAC address value for the computer you plan to define the priority on it.
    3.You may also input the Device Name boxes for easily remember.
    4.Choose the priority level: Highest, High, Normal, or Low.
    5.You may also type the name in the QoS Policy for box for this rule you preferred.
    6.Click Add button.
    7.Click Apply.