Wifes friend steals bandwidth. Please help.

You'd be surprised at how much 50kbs can do, limit her to 10kbs :shiftyninja:

ouch thats a bit harsh? isnt that against human rights :o if not it should be!

I also have a wife and I also do give up on something just to please her, but I still have the balls in the family to make rules on something that affects me personally. I know you asked for technical detail on how to stop you're wife's friend from using internet, just wait till you have kids and by the time you hit 50 you'll be there bi**h.

I would recommend just confronting your wife?s friend when you see her computer logged on to your router.

You could also look into software like Net Limiter, once installed you can limit how many kb/s can go to the laptop and it even features a remote control for the Net Limiter features^^

Agree. I would be firm but fair and just say, sorry but im paying for this and the line was put in for "family" use. if you want an internet connection you can either use this when we arent, or get yourself a mobile dongle as its not fair or right that im paying for this and not getting ample usage.

streaming music/videos will not take up the bandwidth like you are saying it is.. Sure she does not have that little program called uTorrent running :shifty:

Definitely!

+1

I run my business out of the home and do remote log me in as well as other vpn setups that are affected by her constant streaming/downloading of high data content and I've asked politely for her to stop. She uses utorrent while streaming netflix which completely sucks all of the bandwidth out of the house. Everytime I can not use log me in, I check over her shoulder and sure enough utorrent is running while watching something. I block her wireless access and the internet works again just fine. I blocked her mac address but that's only under wireless settings. I don't think the router will stop her from using it's services (though I could be wrong I guess) hooked in via a wired connection. My wifes friend is not hot at all (though I think my wife is :) ). Actually her friend is unbelievably ugly. But I can't throw her out on her ass b/c that would raise a huge war (although the bills are paid for by myself and my wife). I just want to say "hey, I don't know why your computer isn't connecting to the router. Maybe it's your computer, every other computer in the house works that you don't have access to.". It was working till she got the idea of directly hooking in to the router.

just tested the mac filtering on my wifes computer. It does not block out wired connections. Only wireless (which I expected). I guess if it comes down to it there I will just raise the issue. Just was hoping to avoid it.

I run my business out of the home and do remote log me in as well as other vpn setups that are affected by her constant streaming/downloading of high data content and I've asked politely for her to stop. She uses utorrent while streaming netflix which completely sucks all of the bandwidth out of the house. Everytime I can not use log me in, I check over her shoulder and sure enough utorrent is running while watching something. I block her wireless access and the internet works again just fine. I blocked her mac address but that's only under wireless settings. I don't think the router will stop her from using it's services (though I could be wrong I guess) hooked in via a wired connection. My wifes friend is not hot at all (though I think my wife is :) ). Actually her friend is unbelievably ugly. But I can't throw her out on her ass b/c that would raise a huge war (although the bills are paid for by myself and my wife). I just want to say "hey, I don't know why your computer isn't connecting to the router. Maybe it's your computer, every other computer in the house works that you don't have access to.". It was working till she got the idea of directly hooking in to the router.

just tested the mac filtering on my wifes computer. It does not block out wired connections. Only wireless (which I expected). I guess if it comes down to it there I will just raise the issue. Just was hoping to avoid it.

Still, if you can, enable Quality of Service on mac adresses, put your computers on premium access and her on bulk this will eliminate any bottlenecking on the network and keep everyone happy (mostly you).

Haha who gives a **** if the wifes friend is hot! Damn gentlemen you need to stop thinking with your penis! It lets women control you!!!

I think the primary objective was to obtain a picture of the girl. Not provide advice based on how hot she is..

OP. Tell her you can see her internet traffic and it's impacting your work. Give her the guidelines for when she can use the internet and if she brakes those rules, you'll have to restrict her access completely.

personally id just tell her to stop using it, yea you can block the MAC, but guess what, she has the gaull to say shes just going to runa cable to the router, she also would have the gaull to reset teh thing to factory defaults, or get another router to replace it

QoS will NOT solve the problem.what it. Will do is clear up the. Clogged up upstream, which will fix any problems where browsing locks up completely.

Why QoS will not do is ANYTHING with the downstream, even on the routers where you can enable QoS on the download it won't do anything, the ony thing you'll accomplish with that is the router throwing away packets that have already been downloaded to the router and thus already past the bottleneck. So it would only clog up the downstream more.

QoS is great for keeping you connection running nice and smooth, but only as long as ou separately make sure the downstream isn't clogged, but it will generally manage itself pretty well.

following the general consensus is this thread, block her mac address and if she throws a fit, explain that nothing is free in this world and she must abbide by the rules...

My wifes friend is not hot at all (though I think my wife is :) ). Actually her friend is unbelievably ugly.

Sorry to hear about that. You need to get the friend out ASAP. Just find away to cut her off the net completely, then she can find some other place to leech.

Blocking her internet usage is just sneaky and she'll find alternate means of using it. I would just explain that she needs to get a roommate account. If she can't afford it, install some form of bandwidth limiting software.

Make sure there are no free LAN ports on the router ;)

QoS - 1Kb/s up/down for her connection

Set OpenDNS as Routers DNS servers and filter ALL social networking and anything else that she finds fun

She's on your network, that there is gold - you can do anything you like to her system ;)

DDOS her Laptop IP :D

So this is an odd setup. But my wife's childhood friend came to stay with us because she is having a rough time $$ wise. But I do work on my computer and she is constantly downloading and streaming. I've asked her not to, but she just tries to hide it and says she isn't. I don't want to create a fight so I blocked her wireless access silently with my u-verse 2-wire router. Now she says after a few days "I'm going to get a wired connection and connect it to the router" -ARG!!! Is there another way to block a laptop from connecting to a 2-wire router via a wired connection? I can't seem to find an option like that. I searched google without much luck. I have a 3600HGV router.

try pfsense if you have a spare pc laying around, you can even setup quality of service( QOS) and give you higher priority then her bandwidth wise. or block certain sites and urls etc and its free

She uses utorrent while streaming netflix which completely sucks all of the bandwidth out of the house.

Find what port her utorrent uses (it's random, but it probably won't change) and block it.

Block netflix somehow (IDK much about netflix as it's not available in my country, but you can probably do it by blocking whatever URL the login server uses).

That way she can still use the internet for any reasonable uses, but she can't steal all your bandwidth.