... dial 911 and ask for Santa

KINGSTON ? Instead of seeing Rudolph the reindeer?s shiny red nose, two Kingston children saw flashing police lights instead.

About 11 a.m. Sunday, police responded to a Kingston home after two children, ages 6 and 4, called 911 asking to speak to either the police chief or Santa Claus.

Police said officers arrived at the home, interviewed the family and kids, and instructed them on proper use of emergency services.

source

and thats the reason why my handsets are locked :p so my daughter doesnt dial out

You're going to feel terrible when something happens to her (or her parents) and she can't get help.

The police were very understanding it seems, and handled it well. I know that seems silly to say, but with the all the stories of people getting arrested over nothing, you have to think about it now :p

1) This kind of thing happens frequently, why is it news?

2) Why would the police respond when they knew it was kids messing around? IIRC, where I'm from (if they know it's just kids messing around) they just send a letter telling the parents that their kids dialed 111 (not a typo, that's the number in NZ).

...called 911 asking to speak to either the police chief or Santa Claus.

Awww.... cute!

1) This kind of thing happens frequently, why is it news?

It wasn't posted for the news factor, more so for the cute factor. ;)

2) Why would the police respond when they knew it was kids messing around? IIRC, where I'm from (if they know it's just kids messing around) they just send a letter telling the parents that their kids dialed 111 (not a typo, that's the number in NZ).

Police are required to respond here, if clearly it was a kid.

Kids may be in trouble, but are not articulate enough to ask for help.