UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida

dippednbutter

Imagine a world were 12 to 6 elbows are legal... :rofl: Lyoto would have needed surgery.

Actually on a serious note, I'd like to see elbows on the ground banned. But most of all, those downward front thrust and sides kicks to the knee. Those are career ending, illegal in most stand up fighting.

Anibal P

Actually on a serious note, I'd like to see elbows on the ground banned. But most of all, those downward front thrust and sides kicks to the knee. Those are career ending, illegal in most stand up fighting.

Why would you want to ruin the sport? Might as well demand padding and headgear after that, don't want people getting hurt right?

dippednbutter

Why would you want to ruin the sport? Might as well demand padding and headgear after that, don't want people getting hurt right?

Career ending injuries such as that down kick to the knee is much different than wearing headgear. Do you actually know what headgear is used for?

D. S.

Strikeforce didn't allow elbows on the ground, sucked hard. If you start banning legitimate techniques, you can't really stop. It's a slippery slope. If you disallow kicks to the knees (in any way, shape or direction) then you have to ban kneeing. It's the same concept of impact on the joint. And kneebars therefor destroying the career of Paul Harris. The Mir kimura was pretty much career ending, should the UFC implent a rule against Kimuras? Or an even dumber rule like the one grappling competitions have against the can opener move that causes whoever uses it for it's legitimate purpose of breaking guard to pretty much always lose. Every submission has the potential to be career ending. It doesn't mean it should be outright banned.

Anibal P

Career ending injuries such as that down kick to the knee is much different than wearing headgear. Do you actually know what headgear is used for?

Headgear is used by amateurs to protect their precious faces from injury, and yet it's not that protective after all, look at Andre Ward, ended up getting stitches above his eye while sparring and wearing headgear.

Point it once you start banning moves that can be "career ending" which just about any move in MMA can be under the right circumstances, might as well pad up and fake hit like they do in Taekwondo competitions

• Like 1
dippednbutter

Headgear is used by amateurs to protect their precious faces from injury, and yet it's not that protective after all, look at Andre Ward, ended up getting stitches above his eye while sparring and wearing headgear.

Point it once you start banning moves that can be "career ending" which just about any move in MMA can be under the right circumstances, might as well pad up and fake hit like they do in Taekwondo competitions

Head gear is to protect your head from hitting hard surfaces should you get knocked down, not so much to protect you from damage, its just a bonus at times.

Understand I want asking for a ban everything so lets not run off on a tangent. For instance, in professional boxing I'd prefer them to use smaller gloves saving us from 12 rounds and more long term damage to the brain in boxing.

Leg submissions you actually have a chance to tap, but that thrust kick to the knee, no chance therefore a pro could see his career go down the tubes in an instant. Just my two cents from my days of point sparring. No need to run on a tangent about how I want everything banned, that's going too far and putting words in my mouth.

Anibal P

Head gear is to protect your head from hitting hard surfaces should you get knocked down, not so much to protect you from damage, its just a bonus at times.

Understand I want asking for a ban everything so lets not run off on a tangent. For instance, in professional boxing I'd prefer them to use smaller gloves saving us from 12 rounds and more long term damage to the brain in boxing.

Leg submissions you actually have a chance to tap, but that thrust kick to the knee, no chance therefore a pro could see his career go down the tubes in an instant. Just my two cents from my days of point sparring. No need to run on a tangent about how I want everything banned, that's going too far and putting words in my mouth.

Slippery slope, once they start banning moves it steamrolls into turning the sport into a joke, maybe if there was a stream of fighters having to retire due to kicks to the knee then they might want to look at it, but you should never ban something just because it could sorta maybe be career ending

dippednbutter

Slippery slope, once they start banning moves it steamrolls into turning the sport into a joke, maybe if there was a stream of fighters having to retire due to kicks to the knee then they might want to look at it, but you should never ban something just because it could sorta maybe be career ending

I think we just started noticing fighters utilize this move more and more recently so its just the beginning.

It has been career ending in other contact sports, that's why it sparks interest for me. We had kids get screwed over because of it. We could always reverse the issue and say why ban anything at all. Eye gouges, fish hooks, punches to the back of the head, soccer kicks, knees to the head of a downed opponent? That would equally be a slippery slope as well.

leedogg

Is the date for this fight known yet? It's annoying when I cant find this info in the OP.

D. S.

Is the date for this fight known yet? It's annoying when I cant find this info in the OP.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=UFC+140

BTW it has already happened.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Timi Cantisano
      Twitch streamer masquerades UFC 218 live event as game stream
      by Timi Cantisano

Over the years, watching other people play video games has become quite popular, with Twitch being one of the main platforms users have come to rely on when showing off their skills. Despite it being a streaming platform for user-created content, the service has been used in the past to stream copyrighted materials like sports matches and more.

While these typically get flagged and removed, it looks like one enterprising streamer had a bit of fun over the weekend, broadcasting UFC 218, which was the rematch bout between Max Holloway and Jose Aldo, while making it look like he was actually playing a game. The broadcaster, AJ Lester, was fully equipped with control in hand, headphones on, and also had reactions to the action as well. You can see a small clip of the action above, as Lester has now removed the stream from his Twitch channel.

Although this is comical and has gained Lester a moment of internet fame, there is the possibility that he could be facing some serious consequences. For now, he has stated that he has not heard anything in regards to copyright violations.

Source: Eurogamer via The Verge | Image via Streamable

Don't forget to follow us @NeowinGaming on Twitter to keep up to date with our gaming coverage!

• By zikalify
      International Space Station set to receive its first supercomputer
      by Paul Hill

The International Space Station, currently home to three Americans, two Russians, and an Italian, is set to receive its first supercomputer in the coming week. Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) will launch the supercomputer into space on the SpaceX Dragon on Monday as part of a joint experiment with the US space agency, NASA.

Alain Andreoil, a senior vice president and general manager at HPE’s Data Center Infrastructure group, wrote:

The machine, dubbed Spaceborne Computer, is based on the Apollo 40 class systems and runs Linux. It will be fitted with a unique water-cooled enclosure for the hardware to address environmental constraints and reliability requirements of supercomputing in space.

The experiment will last about a year, roughly the same amount of time it would take to get to Mars – which would require sophisticated computing capabilities to cut down communication latency and ensure the survival of the astronauts heading for the red planet. Communications between Earth and Mars can take up to 20 minutes one way or 40 minutes for a round trip; therefore, an onboard supercomputer is absolutely necessary.

Source: HPE via People’s Daily | Image via HPE

• By nunesgh
      Elon Musk discusses new SpaceX plans for landing on Mars and expectations about Falcon Heavy
      by Gabriel Nunes

Today at the International Space Station Research and Development Conference in Washington, DC, Elon Musk announced SpaceX has dropped the use of SuperDraco thrusters for its Dragon spacecraft. The initial idea, announced on April last year, was to use the thrusters and landing legs to perform a propulsive landing on Martian soil. As shown in the video below, the company has gone as far as performing a "picture-perfect propulsive hover test" of the system, as it has described the episode, in November last year.

Unfortunately, Musk stated that “it would have taken a tremendous amount of effort to qualify that for safety, particularly for crew transport", which is one of the reasons why the next generation Dragon capsules won't feature the thrusters. The other reason would be that SpaceX has figured out a better approach for landing on Mars, even though Musk didn't detail it further.

But Dragon's landing system isn't the only change happening in SpaceX's plans. Musk has also announced that the Interplanetary Transport System (ITS), announced in September last year, has "evolved", including a decrease in the size of the vehicle. One of the reasons for the changes was the estimated price for the initial version of the ship:

Even though Musk didn't show a new render of the ITS, he did hint at what to expect from the new version and its capabilities:

Finally, with the approach of the first launch of a Falcon Heavy rocket, which is expected to take place later this year, Musk warned that "there’s a lot that could go wrong there". With three booster cores, instead of just one as in a Falcon rocket, the Falcon Heavy will feature 27 engines that should ignite simultaneously:

Either way, Musk has encouraged people to go to Cape Canaveral to watch the first Falcon Heavy mission, which he said is "guaranteed to be exciting".

Sources: SpaceNews and The Verge | Image: SpaceX

• By zikalify
      Samsung announces VR Live Pass
      by Paul Hill

Samsung has announced VR Live Pass for Gear VR, an initiative which will allow users to stream live events to their Gear VR from new partners including UFC, X Games and Live Nation. The live events will be immersive broadcasts from sporting and music events among other things. Samsung will launch Live Pass through the Samsung VR app in early June.

Younghee Lee, CMO and Executive Vice President of Samsung Electronics, said:

Events will begin broadcasting in June with some already being announced, they include:

UFC 212: Aldo vs Holloway, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, June 3, 2017. X Games Minneapolis, USA July 13 – 16, 2017: the event includes BMX riders and skaters including Jimmy Wilkins, Chad Kerley and Jagger Eaton. Live Music Concert with International Artists, USA August 2017. One warning that should be noted, however, is that the UFC 212 main card, including the fight mentioned above, won’t be available for users in the US and New Zealand. Gear VR users in those regions will only be able to watch the UFC Fight Pass preliminaries.

Source: Samsung

• By zikalify
      2017 will be the year of the Linux desktop... for GNOME on Ubuntu
      by Paul Hill

A few weeks ago, Mark Shuttleworth, now CEO of Canonical, announced that the Unity desktop shell would be abandoned in favour of GNOME. While we were told that GNOME would be used by Ubuntu 18.04, we weren't sure whether it'd be included in Ubuntu 17.10, the next release. Following a meeting on IRC, we now know that GNOME will ship by default in the next release.

For those of you invested in the Unity desktop, Unity will be installable on Ubuntu 17.10, but Upstart (a system alternative), Ubuntu touch packages and Unity 8 are likely to be removed from the repositories, marking an end to Unity development. Due to the open nature of Linux however, there will be developers who no doubt fork Unity, rename it, and continue to develop it much like the Linux Mint developers did with GNOME 2 when they created MATE.

Aside from GNOME, a Wayland session will be included in the upcoming release side-by-side with an Xorg session. It's still an unanswered question as to whether the LightDM login manager will be included or whether Ubuntu will ship with GDM which is present in the upstream GNOME desktop.

While the changes may not yet be included, eager testers can download daily builds of Ubuntu 17.10 from Ubuntu's website but they should be considered pre-alpha quality, so some problems could arise.

Source: OMGUbuntu!