Smartphone suggestion

I currently own a N97Mini which is a really dreadful phone and am looking forward to get a new phone, my choices are either Android or Symbian and am considering either the LG Optimus Black or the Nokia 701.

I can't decide what would be best as both look decent and are around the same price.

I've seen many Optimus Black users complaining about not even receiving the Gingerbread update so that phone could be stuck to Froyo. With most manufacturers willing to roll out the ICS update to their devices next year I don't even know if the Optimus Black would be future proof or would it lag a lot with ICS.

The Nokia 701 has almost the same hardware specs but Symbian OS is almost dead am unsure about the availability of 3rd party apps.

What would be better? Any other suggestions? :/

Don't get anything with Symbian, it's dead in the water as you said.

What's your budget? If there isn't one set, I'd personally get something like the Lumia 800 (running WP7, as well as providing a fair amount of updates as well, for 2 years at least).

Give us a budget or anything you must desperately have in a phone and I'll help you further :)

What's your budget? If there isn't one set, I'd personally get something like the Lumia 800 (running WP7, as well as providing a fair amount of updates as well, for 2 years at least).

Give us a budget or anything you must desperately have in a phone and I'll help you further :)

My budget is around 550USD max. I don't find anything interesting in WP and such phones aren't even being sold in my country yet.

I need a device with a screen bigger than 3.2?, something that will not lag a lot while doing web browsing, the ability to handle most multimedia formats and a decent camera with at least 5MP AF.

his choice is either Android or Symbian!!! he clearly said that...

@OP..

Dont buy symbian... get the LG Optimus P970 and install cyanogenmod and by that way u get the gingerbread.

also ICS for the device will also be ported. here is the nightly build http://download.cyan...om/?device=p970

and how to root. http://forum.cyanoge...mus-black-p970/

his choice is either Android or Symbian!!! he clearly said that...

@OP..

Dont buy symbian... get the LG Optimus P970 and install cyanogenmod and by that way u get the gingerbread.

also ICS for the device will also be ported. here is the nightly build http://download.cyan...om/?device=p970

and how to root. http://forum.cyanoge...mus-black-p970/

I don't intend to install custom any roms unless the device stops receiving official updates.

Samsung Galaxy S

It looks a bit old and doesn't feature have any camera flash. :(

Also,samsung galaxy S2 seems to be on you range http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B004QTBQ2C

they get ICS and will also be supported by custom rom

Its out of my budget as it costs around 820USD here.

I don't intend to install custom any roms unless the device stops receiving official updates.

isnt that the case with LG Optimus? If you are to buy a smartphone make sure it will get future support of custom rom for a fall back.

It looks a bit old and doesn't feature have any camera flash. :(

You wouldn't be disappointed with the Galaxy S - its still a good solid phone - ICS will no doubt be all over it too

isnt that the case with LG Optimus?

LG mentioned that their Optimus phones would be upgradeable to ICS but no release date was announced. :/

You wouldn't be disappointed with the Galaxy S - its still a good solid phone - ICS will no doubt be all over it too

I'll consider it but would Samsung update it to ICS?

I would prefer HTC Radar. It is more affordable with excellent quality build, more sexy looks and it has Windows phone os :D

I'll consider it but would Samsung update it to ICS?

Not sure I haven't checked but XDA have already ported it to the SII - they are probably the best bet, also Darky's ROM is a very popular Galaxy S ROM, I think they will have ICS running on it too at some point

I would prefer HTC Radar. It is more affordable with excellent quality build, more sexy looks and it has Windows phone os :D

As said earlier I don't intend to buy any WP device. :)

I have a Sony Ericsson Arc. Great phone, great camera (though only on the back), runs pretty much everything I throw at it, even though it's single core. It will be getting ICS, probably sometime in January. Price is in your budget.