Valuable gold coin appears in PA donation kettle

The rare South African coin has mysteriously appeared in a Salvation Army kettle for years, prompting rumors of exotic coin collectors and magnanimous tycoons.

Again this year, a volunteer discovered a gold Krugerrand, worth about $1,700, within the Salvation Army kettle positioned in front of the Walmart east of Gettysburg.

"Most of the reason for all the speculation that it's one individual is because it seems to come around the same time every year," said C.K. Roulette, organizer of the Salvation Army unit in Gettysburg.

The Krugerrand was discovered Wednesday and volunteer Jay Brown said he didn't notice anyone drop in the valuable coin. Last year, the coin was discovered the week before Christmas, too.

"It's a wonderful mystery and there's so much chatter about it by the people of Gettysburg," Roulette said.

Often the 1-ounce coin is found in a kettle at the Walmart on York Road, although it has shown up at Boyds Bear Country and The Outlet Shoppes at Gettysburg. Volunteers believe the donor wraps the coin in a dollar bill to slip it into the kettle without attracting attention.

Typically, the coin is sold to a collector or exchanged in a bank and it doubles the value of most kettles, which contain anywhere from $750 to $1,100. Volunteers collect donations from Thanksgiving to Christmas Eve and usually raise between $40,000 and $45,000, Roulette said.

Despite all the speculation and rumors, Roulette said he's content with the mystery remaining unsolved. He said it sparks peoples' imaginations and adds excitement during those long, cold hours spent ringing the bell.

more

sad part is most likely the person that put it in there did not even know what it was.

More likely, they DO KNOW, and wrap a $1 or $2 bill around it, to hide that they are dropping it in. I had a guy at my kettle the other day, who dropped what I thought was a few fives in, after I looked, it was a $100, a $50 and a $5 wrapped around it.

This happens in several locales every Christmas. A real Santa, and the Salvation Army does great work. When we were first married our apartment building burned down on a sub-zero February night in Michigan.

As 30 families were outside shivering up rolls several HUGE trucks full of a Salvation Army Disaster Team and their gear. They put up tents, started heaters, set up a kitchen and started booking & paying for hotel rooms for the displaced residents. Once the complex had prepared replacement apartments they helped refurnish with the essentials and move us in.

They don't just preach the Word, they live it.

This happens in several locales every Christmas. A real Santa, and the Salvation Army does great work. When we were first married our apartment building burned down on a sub-zero February night in Michigan.

As 30 families were outside shivering up rolls several HUGE trucks full of a Salvation Army Disaster Team and their gear. They put up tents, started heaters, set up a kitchen and started booking & paying for hotel rooms for the displaced residents. Once the complex had prepared replacement apartments they helped refurnish with the essentials and move us in.

That is exactly what the Sally Ann is - they live the word, and technically, they preach it by showing their love, and generosity. I'm sure if you didn't go to a church, and decided you wanted to, the first place you'd think of going was the Citadel closet to you, because of what they did. I'm volunteering there this year, as my local citadel has given me food 4 times, and been there if I needed to talk to someone, even though I'm not a member, and probably won't be (though I WOULD love to have one of their uniforms! *L*)

More likely, they DO KNOW, and wrap a $1 or $2 bill around it, to hide that they are dropping it in. I had a guy at my kettle the other day, who dropped what I thought was a few fives in, after I looked, it was a $100, a $50 and a $5 wrapped around it.

This. If it appears, without fail, each year, this is someone knowing what they are doing.

SA also runs several local substance abuse clinics and residential facilities. Their stores help fund their ops, plus they're a source of cheap goods & clothes to people who can't afford more.

When we can we work with SA ($$ and donating working used items), The Gleaners (regional food banks) and help with what our Evangelical Lutheran church does with other churches the Hindu Temple, Mosques and Synagogues. Such inter-faith work is the norm around here, not the exception.

This last 3 years has been busy :(

They sure do. It's one of the few causes I believe in anymore and I give to them every year. Apparently others feel like that too.