Half-life2 source leaked?

Er yeah.. and when that boxed product is out on the shelf and Valve say "We have released a kickass game.. please feel free to go buy it" then they have to stand by their word.

To be honest they didn't exactly let us down with the original Half Life, and I see no reason for HL2 to be the same.

I guess we just gotta be patient.

Valve is a business... they owe us something if they intend to make money!!!!!!!!!!

unsure whether that was sarcasm or not... but.... i think youve got it a little backwards.. we owe them something if we intend to enjoy their product.

unsure whether that was sarcasm or not... but.... i think youve got it a little backwards.. we owe them something if we intend to enjoy their product.

It's a mutual agreement...

With everyone saying -- the game isn't complete without the resource files -- textures/models/etc; thus isn't "complete" and isn't too much of a big deal. Think about when the game is ACTUALLY released, and all of these files are included. These files will be widely available for anyone to join with the source code & compile.

Not only that, but with the source code leaked, imagine all of the cheats, bugs, & exploits that will come from this. Now you have the game's code right in front of your face -- there's no more "try this & see if it works" approach. Because you are looking at the source code, it will be easier to find unintended ways of making the game "work."

No use crying over spilt milk... we'll get a game eventually and if there are cheats and exploits...then that's the way way things go, can't do **** about it so I suggest we all just get on with things and eagerly await the game!!! Or a leaked beta ;)

Valve is a business... they owe us something if they intend to make money!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing they 'owe' us is a quality game because that is what we pay for. However, most people think they owe them the game. Valve doesn't have to release the game if they don't want to. And for the people that pirate the game, or in this case steal it, they owe Valve the sum of the profit loss they caused. Not to mention the stress involved in making the game and then having it stolen.

Did anyone read fatcat's statement?

Probably the most insightful post ever

Anyways, I get it now,

The REASON why it's a big deal is because all the physics of the Half life world are at the exploitation of all the rivals, Now a small startup company (armed with thier 5 year code) could take some of the market.

It's NOT because some lamer wants to just play the game, they can't. They only have the physics of the enviroment on hand.

Either way, it don't effect us, Except it may produce better games with better code FOR US. but valve must be uber ****ed....

Did anyone read fatcat's statement?

Probably the most insightful post ever

Anyways, I get it now,

The REASON why it's a big deal is because all the physics of the Half life world are at the exploitation of all the rivals, Now a small startup company (armed with thier 5 year code) could take some of the market.

It's NOT because some lamer wants to just play the game, they can't. They only have the physics of the enviroment on hand.

Either way, it don't effect us, Except it may produce better games with better code FOR US. but valve must be uber ****ed....

There is more there than just the physics. For example there is also net code, Steam code, I would imagine there is rendering code too. There are a lot of things that make up a game and a lot of it got stolen. The only thing that wasn't stolen (as far as I know) is the resources and some people make it sound like those may have been stolen too but haven't been distributed yet.

There is more there than just the physics. For example there is also net code, Steam code, I would imagine there is rendering code too. There are a lot of things that make up a game and a lot of it got stolen. The only thing that wasn't stolen (as far as I know) is the resources and some people make it sound like those may have been stolen too but haven't been distributed yet.

Out of curiosity,

Does anyone know how something like this can get stolen???

I can't imagine a mission impossible senario at valve headquarters....

Well, the thing with the physics code is it is from an external company. So this has not only touched on valve, but another company's private property...

There is more there than just the physics.  For example there is also net code, Steam code, I would imagine there is rendering code too.  There are a lot of things that make up a game and a lot of it got stolen.  The only thing that wasn't stolen (as far as I know) is the resources and some people make it sound like those may have been stolen too but haven't been distributed yet.

Out of curiosity,

What's his face...Gabe thingymob's Comp was hackard because it wasn't properly secured, so it was stolen that was... bet he was kicking himself up the ARSE after that!!!!!!!!!

There is more there than just the physics.  For example there is also net code, Steam code, I would imagine there is rendering code too.  There are a lot of things that make up a game and a lot of it got stolen.  The only thing that wasn't stolen (as far as I know) is the resources and some people make it sound like those may have been stolen too but haven't been distributed yet.

Out of curiosity,

Gabe Newell gave the description of how it was stolen on the halflife2.net forums. This thread has the description.

A few people are commenting on how it means serious security problems because the source code is released. Now ask yourself: should those have existed in the first place? If it is so dangerous, why does secure open source software exist? Doesn't that just highlight problems with closed source?

Yeah, don't even bother to point out how this is different, etc. I know. Just pointing this out in general.

They took both the source and the game (prolly beta) and Fairlight and Razor are compacting the 1.3Gb file.

Lots of verified info here. Oops forgot linkage http://gtwy.hl2arena.com/

If compiled correctly you can get the brick room I will post the BMP of it. This is the brick type.

And regarding the "daughter pics" I will try and post "laura"

post-78-1065401350.jpg

As far as I know, a number of the exploits used are known about by Microsoft, yet they have done nothing to patch them as yet.

Kinda difficult to patch something if there is no patch for it! Well, either that or stop using the faulty product ;)

They took both the source and the game (prolly beta) and Fairlight and Razor are compacting the 1.3Gb file.

Lots of verified info here.?  Oops forgot linkage http://gtwy.hl2arena.com/

If compiled correctly you can get the brick room I will post the BMP of it.? This is the brick type.

And regarding the "daughter pics" I will try and post "laura"

there is no beta, i doubt the resource files were robbed anyway

things are moving along with the homebrew maps anyway, much futher than the brick room

post-78-1065482040.jpg

Edited by LiGhTfast