Looking for a new camera

As the title suggests, I'm in the market for a new camera. For the past four and ha half years, I've had a Canon Powershot A560. As a point-and-shoot, it got the job done, but almost as soon as I got it back in the summer of 2007, I was a bit disappointed. I hadn't done any research and was left with a basic point-and-shoot. The camera had absolutely no manual controls aside from being able to choose the ISO settings. I was unable to select aperture or shutter speed for any shots aside from a few pre-set modes, like night scenes.

After I had taken a photography class in high school, I became well-versed in the use of standard, old-school film SLRs. I became accustomed to all the available settings on these cameras, and when I got my Canon, I was thoroughly disappointed that I couldn't adjust basic things like shutter speed. Back in October, I lost the Canon camera (still looking for it), and ever since I've been using my phone (a Nexus One) which isn't a bad substitute for a very basic point-and-shoot.

Anyway, I'm now looking for a new camera. Ideally, I'd love to have an entry-level DSLR, but the prices of even entry-level ones are a bit steep for my liking. I'm looking for a camera that has a lot of similar features to a DSLR, but I can make some compromises. For instance, I'm not too picky about having an interchangable lens. As long as I can have a good general-purpose lens with a good optical zoom, I'm fine, Also, I'd like to be able to obviously adjust shutter speed, aperture, and ISO like I would on a standard SLR. I've been missing these features for the past four years. Also, I really like the style of HDR images; being able to take them would be nice.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a camera that would suite my needs? I don't really want to spend more than about $250-$350. I know that any DSLRs are out of that range unless I buy second-hand.

Thanks!

I've been doing some looking around, and I think I've come across something of a compromise. Micro Four Thirds cameras. They have interchangeable lenses with manual focus like DSLRs and they also have censors larger than most point-and-shoots, but they're compact and don't have optical viewfinders. One camera that has really caught my eye is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2, which fits right into the upper-end of my price range. Anyone have any experience with this camera or any similar ones?

Get a Sony NEX 3 if you can find it ... they are much better than the Micro 4/3s ad lens selection as of a few months is awesome. I think lots of iriginal NEX3 owners upgraded to the new cameras that were released this last few months so finding a good used one shouldnt be a problem.

The GF2 is seriously cheap ~$345 on Amazon since it's discontinued. For that price, it's probably the best camera. It has a DSLR sized sensor, so no compact camera in that price range comes close in quality. I say go for it, it's a great value. Big sensors are much better than the tiny ones.

The cheapest Canon model that's any good is the Rebel T2i, and it's at least $550 refurb with a crappy lens... I don't see the point unless you want to spend a-lot moar. That Nex 3 sounds good too, its ~380 on Amazon.

Either a NEX series camera or a M4/3 camera will serve you well. The NEX series has better Image Quality but the M4/3s have a wider variety of native lenses available right now.

I think I'm going to go with the Lumix GF2. I like that Micro Four Thirds is a more mature technology and that a wider variety of lenses are available for it at the moment. The sensor size isn't too important for me; this is just a starter camera. Most importantly, the price is right. If I really get into photography, I can see myself getting a proper DSLR down the line.

You can also get a micro 4/3 to regular 4/3 adapter ring to make use of the older Zuiko lenses used on the Olympus Evolt series too.

c_mft_benefit_vi_04.gif