Megaupload.com has been shutdown by US federal prosecuters

Ninja edit. Changed my mind about posting about this so I don't start a flame war. :rofl:

This is why I love email notifications. I still have your full post in my email!

are you totally stupid? Lost revenue means they are letting people post COPYRIGHTED material .. what part of STEALING is any way unclear?

o dear, the whole internetz r letting post coyprighted material....preatty clearar !!

/s

the US must own most of the world because over a bunch of pirated movies other countries allow the US freehand in applying our legal system in their country. If the guy killed someone for sure. He took no more than our banks and stockbrokers took. And just to think these files were being enjoyed by loads of unemployed people after they were screwed by banks, stockbrokers and our congress.

megaupload does not seem as bad as the other bunch of crooks.

Servers in Virginia? Really....... REALLY?

Were those idiots actually dumb enough to have some servers the United States?

I really hope other file hosts like filesonic aren't that ****ing stupid.

If one thing has been learned from this it's keep your god damn servers off US soil.

Servers in Virginia? Really....... REALLY?

Were those idiots actually dumb enough to have some servers the United States?

I really hope other file hosts like filesonic aren't that ****ing stupid.

If one thing has been learned from this it's keep your god damn servers off US soil.

Therein lies the conundrum. If the server are too far from the US then you'll get **** slow downloads in the US. And we're still a major market. So you try to get the servers into the US in a way that you hope will protect you so that you can satisfy the overwhelming demand from US downloaders.

If the charges the government makes are accurate (and that is what the courts will sort out) I'm glad they were shut down. It isn't legal to run a crack house or a brothel with a defense of "well gee some people come in here to smoke cigs not snort crack" or "well some guys come here to talk and not have sex" or "I don't know what goes on in there. I mean I see crack heads and I hear sex, but I don't know anything"...

The biggest problem is the overwhelming level of digital theft in our societies that some balancing effort has to result. We can't have widespread theft be the norm...

Therein lies the conundrum. If the server are too far from the US then you'll get **** slow downloads in the US. And we're still a major market. So you try to get the servers into the US in a way that you hope will protect you so that you can satisfy the overwhelming demand from US downloaders.

If the charges the government makes are accurate (and that is what the courts will sort out) I'm glad they were shut down. It isn't legal to run a crack house or a brothel with a defense of "well gee some people come in here to smoke cigs not snort crack" or "well some guys come here to talk and not have sex" or "I don't know what goes on in there. I mean I see crack heads and I hear sex, but I don't know anything"...

The biggest problem is the overwhelming level of digital theft in our societies that some balancing effort has to result. We can't have widespread theft be the norm...

If we continue down that line of thought we might as well shut down the internet entirely, because as you know it's used to pirate stuff. (Y)

Piracy problem solved.

this ****es me off becuase a lot of the linux vmware machine images on vmware's site that users made were hosted on megaupload!

I got a few distros that way to plug into vmware! arrrrg!

mabye vmware can help megaupload or take action against them....

If we continue down that line of thought we might as well shut down the internet entirely, because as you know it's used to pirate stuff. (Y)

Piracy problem solved.

No, the Internet isn't just a piracy medium and I wasn't implying it was. It is no more a pure piracy medium then a gun or a car is a crimminal device.

My point is still the same, that we, as a society, need to find balance in restoring the normality of the majority paying for their consumption. Until we do you'll have two trains running down the tracks at the same time. The first being companies trying to pull the laws too far into their court, with bills such as SOPA. The second will be companies pulling out of creating stuff that we enjoy, movies or software or etc.

We can't have it both ways and it isn't sustainable to have the future of digital products resting on the shoulders of a shrinking "honest" segment.

This is why I love email notifications. I still have your full post in my email!

:woot:

Damn, sneaky!