Who uses Windows 8 as primary OS?

Andrea was running it on a crappy netbook, of course it's going to be slow as i also doubt she had proper drivers

Good point, wonder if she knows what device manager is LOL

The truth is I don't like Windows 8 because I don't like the Metro theme. And Windows 8 CP is very very slow. Also I see no need for a Windows 8 when Windows 7 does everything we want.And has everything we want.

If you want to use Windows go for Windows XP or if you want the latest version,Windows 7.These two are the best versions of Windows. And Windows 7 is so user friendly,even a child can use it. If you try Windows 7,you will never want to use any other version of Windows.

Windows 7 is a very fast and flexible operating system. It runs old and new software. You can even burn CDs in Windows Explorer with Windows Disk Image Burn.So no need to install third party software to burn CDs.

You can also have the Aero theme or Windows Classic theme. And install additional software like Classic Shell to get the Windows XP start menu. But on the other hand the Windows 7 start menu is very nice.

So with all of that why use Windows 8? We have got a good thing going with Windows 7. Andrea Borman.

Andrea, where is the "we", stop stating an opinion as fact

it's "you" there is no "we". you have your opinion and I will respect that but stop stating it as how EVERYONE feels because I and many other have grown to like Windows 8

and whether you want to see it or not there have been many performance improvements on the desktop end of things as well

She is disrupting the Window 8 forum. All she ever posts is "i hate windows 8 and it's slow and it's bad" over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Please get rid of her so we can go back to a civilized, content-driven discussion. I wouldn't gripe if there were ever a request for help, or a "how can i make it do this" kind of question. But all she does is say "i hate the metro theme" and it's getting incredibly old.

BACK ON TOPIC: I have the CP as my main OS on a laptop. Although I do find it harder to get around to do my work related things, I'm still giving it a chance.

• Like 1

Ignoring the troll, Windows 8 CP runs perfect on my netbook. It runs it as well as Windows 7 on my netbook, if not better. This netbook is not slow (specs in sig.), it ran Windows 7 just as well as my desktop does. It is in no ways a slow OS. I don't know what her problem is, but she has sand in her v*****

just switched back to Windows 7 for the time being, since yesterday my laptop has just randomly powered off (now shut down, just turned off) 3 times, I'm not sure if it's something to do with the CP or not yet (i'm pretty sure if was the laptop overheating causing it) or if it's just my crappy gateway finally dieing but i will know if it starts happening while running 7 too

edit: yeah it's doing it in windows 7 too, my crappy gateway is dying

just switched back to Windows 7 for the time being, since yesterday my laptop has just randomly powered off (now shut down, just turned off) 3 times, I'm not sure if it's something to do with the CP or not yet (i'm pretty sure if was the laptop overheating causing it) or if it's just my crappy gateway finally dieing but i will know if it starts happening while running 7 too

My laptop has been running a bit hot too, since installing the Preview. ):

@AndreaBorman

She is very right they should put back the start menu or better but the start in the left side of screen and revamp it up to be similiar to the original start menu also give people the choice to use the classic start menu from Windows 7 or new start menu. You are suppose improve something and make it better not alienate users and casual computer users. Look at Apple, they just added new features to there new OS without having to really revamp the whole thing from scratch.

@AndreaBorman

She is very right they should put back the start menu or better but the start in the left side of screen and revamp it up to be similiar to the original start menu also give people the choice to use the classic start menu from Windows 7 or new start menu. You are suppose improve something and make it better not alienate users and casual computer users. Look at Apple, they just added new features to there new OS without having to really revamp the whole thing from scratch.

Thank you very much.You are right they should get rid of this Metro theme and just make Windows 8 like Windows 7. With the Windows 7 desktop and start menu. Because that is what ordinary home computer users expect.

But not having a start menu is not the only problem in Windows 8 CP. Just about everything is wrong with this version of Windows. It is a disaster. It is very very slow and crashes.The ribbon froze my mouse.

But people put toobars like the ribbon in Windows Explorer on Windows 7. By using third party software. And there are no problems with this on Windows 7. Adding a toolbar be it the ribbon or the classic toolbar does not stop Windows Explorer from working in Windows 7,oh no.

But in Windows 8 the ribbon froze my mouse up and my computer when I went into Windows Explorer. And not having quick access to the shut down button meant that in the end I had to pull out the batteries to shut down my laptop. So how can you shut down your computer in an emergency when you cannot find the shut down button?

Yes,it's true I am afraid. Windows 8 Consumer Preview is the worst version of Windows I have ever tried. And it gets my vote as the worst operating system ever made. Andrea Borman.

Thank you very much.You are right they should get rid of this Metro theme and just make Windows 8 like Windows 7. With the Windows 7 desktop and start menu. Because that is what ordinary home computer users expect.

But not having a start menu is not the only problem in Windows 8 CP. Just about everything is wrong with this version of Windows. It is a disaster. It is very very slow and crashes.The ribbon froze my mouse.

But people put toobars like the ribbon in Windows Explorer on Windows 7. By using third party software. And there are no problems with this on Windows 7. Adding a toolbar be it the ribbon or the classic toolbar does not stop Windows Explorer from working in Windows 7,oh no.

But in Windows 8 the ribbon froze my mouse up and my computer when I went into Windows Explorer. And not having quick access to the shut down button meant that in the end I had to pull out the batteries to shut down my laptop. So how can you shut down your computer in an emergency when you cannot find the shut down button?

Yes,it's true I am afraid. Windows 8 Consumer Preview is the worst version of Windows I have ever tried. And it gets my votes as the worst operating system ever made. Andrea Borman.

Buy something better than a netbook, and you'll see better performance. Even on Windows 7.

• Like 1

The big round button on the top lector right corner of most laptops and netbooks comes to mind.

Then again, I can tell from your posts that you have not installed much less tried windows 8. So ...

• Like 1

Are you serious?

If the mouse was really frozen, how is a shutdown button in the OS going to make any difference at all?

So, did they change the BSoD at all? Any new, easier to understand info about the errors going on or is it still the same one from Win7?

So, did they change the BSoD at all? Any new, easier to understand info about the errors going on or is it still the same one from Win7?

win8bsod.jpg;pvf298025dfda97db2

win8bsod.jpg;pvf298025dfda97db2

Well that's nice, I forgot about the sad face, at least there's no crazy error code to freak users out now.

Well that's nice, I forgot about the sad face, at least there's no crazy error code to freak users out now.

Actually I liked the error code, at least it gave me some idea of what was going on before looking in the event viewer or analyzing the dump file.

I haven't had a BSOD in over five years.

At any rate, I like Windows 8 outside of Metro. It's even more snappy than 7 ever was, and boots up in less than 20 seconds on my SSDs.

It's my default OS on my desktop, because it's faster than Windows 7 is, and uses far less resources. My CPU is one of those microprocessors, the AMD Athlon X2 3250e, running at 1.5GHz. Windows 7 keeps it running at 70% or more at all times.

With Windows 8 CP, that usage has been cut by more than half. It doesn't sound as though it's screaming all the time anymore. Which is good. And also brings up another point. Those who will notice the biggest performance differences are those with low spec systems. On my MSI notebook, which is far more powerful, performance is about the same as with Windows 7.

Now, one word of caution. If one does run this OS as default, it needs better security than Windows Defender. So I disabled it, along with Windows Firewall, and installed Avast Internet Security 7, along with the free version of MBAM. Will upgrade that to Pro once Newegg runs it on promo again.

So far, it's not been that bad of an OS. Still learning the Metro UI, but I can access anything that I need to, just as in Windows 7. There is a learning curve, just with any new OS. All one needs is a positive attitude, and willing to learn, that will go a long way towards getting around Windows 8 CP.

And above all, stay away from any negativity, as there are posters on some of these forums (particularly one member) that continually puts down the OS, because of it's lack of a "regular" Start Menu, like the one from Win 98 through Windows 7. There IS a Start Menu, you can access it by pressing the Windows button +C. How simpler can it get?

Best of Luck to All,

Cat

Well that is why we should write to our President or Prime Minister and ask them to ban Windows 8. And we should go to The European Court Of Human Rights and they may ban Windows 8.

Then we will have our Windows 7 with the normal desktop and start menu. And Windows 2000,Windows XP and Windows Vista will be back on sale in the shops again. Andrea Borman.

Oh God, here we go again!

This is the same crap that I read on Windows 8 Fourms, Windows 7 Forums & now here! I can't stand it anymore, I just can't!!! Every self help forum that I go to, this **** appears, from the same member. How in the hell can anyone learn anything when there so much negativity from one member, stating the same thing over & over. I have tried to be patient with her, offered her assistance, but it's the same old song & dance over & over & over again.

I'm really a kind person, really I am, but I can only take so much. If the mods here sees fit to ban me for speaking out, then do so. I just have to get it off of my chest. This member joins every Windows 8 Forum possible, spewing this crap.

Andrea, just who is "we"? You must have a mouse in your pocket. Many of us actually enjoys Windows 8 CP.

Cat

Now, one word of caution. If one does run this OS as default, it needs better security than Windows Defender. So I disabled it, along with Windows Firewall, and installed Avast Internet Security 7, along with the free version of MBAM. Will upgrade that to Pro once Newegg runs it on promo again.

How is avast more secure than defender/security essentials.

I'd stay away from avast and avg more because of the amount of computers that come in completely dead and suddenly work again, if I manage to trick it not booting and remove them though. Both of those have a bad track record of stability and updates that can kill the OS. And that's on a non beta OS.

In Windows 8, Windows Defender is Microsoft Security Essentials - which is actually better and more secure than a lot of the paid for anti-virus solutions you can get. It's certainly one of the lightest.

You always need Malware Bytes on there though.

Oh God, here we go again!

This is the same crap that I read on Windows 8 Fourms, Windows 7 Forums & now here! I can't stand it anymore, I just can't!!! Every self help forum that I go to, this **** appears, from the same member. How in the hell can anyone learn anything when there so much negativity from one member, stating the same thing over & over. I have tried to be patient with her, offered her assistance, but it's the same old song & dance over & over & over again.

I'm really a kind person, really I am, but I can only take so much. If the mods here sees fit to ban me for speaking out, then do so. I just have to get it off of my chest. This member joins every Windows 8 Forum possible, spewing this crap.

Andrea, just who is "we"? You must have a mouse in your pocket. Many of us actually enjoys Windows 8 CP.

Cat

Hello Cat. I did not know you were a member of this forum too.

But unfortunately we won't get any sympathy from the people here about loosing our start menu on Windows 8 CP. As most of the members here are for the Metro theme, not against it like most people are on Windows 8 Forums and Windows 7 Forums. Most people on Windows 8 Forums, like me want the Windows 7, start menu not the Metro theme.

And they are right and so am I. We would all like the Metro theme to get out of our lives so we can have the normal start menu. But Windows 8 CP is already out of my life.Because I have uninstalled it and gone back to Windows 7.

I think I made a wise choice. Windows 8 CP is-THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE. Andrea Borman.

Hello Cat. I did not know you were a member of this forum too.

But unfortunately we won't get any sympathy from the people here about loosing our start menu on Windows 8 CP. As most of the members here are for the Metro theme, not against it like most people are on Windows 8 Forums and Windows 7 Forums. Most people on Windows 8 Forums, like me want the Windows 7, start menu not the Metro theme.

And they are right and so am I. We would all like the Metro theme to get out of our lives so we can have the normal start menu. But Windows 8 CP is already out of my life.Because I have uninstalled it and gone back to Windows 7.

I think I made a wise choice. Windows 8 CP is-THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE. Andrea Borman.

i feel your pain Andrea i really do...There once was a nutty bar i liked which had peanut butter and chocolate sprinkles and what not..And one day the company decided adding coconut to it.Unacceptable..who would wanna eat coconut on a nutty bar..nobody :angry:

all kidding aside windows 8 isn't a trainwreck at all.I do understand some people won't ever be using Metro apps and stay at desktop mode most of the time and it will still work great.If you really hate all the changes from 7 to 8 then you shouldn't upgrade but a lot of people here i know will..

I do, imaged my system and upgraded from Windows 7. Only programs that weren't compatible were Avast! (was already uninstalled, but the folder was still in Program Files) and Windows Defender for some reason; I would have expected that to have been upgraded?