Who uses Windows 8 as primary OS?

And then you will find out that Windows 8 Consumer Preview does not have the Windows 7 start menu like the DP did. And there is no way to disable the Metro theme or bring back the Windows 7 start menu on Windows 8 CP.

And then you will uninstall it like I did and go back to Windows 7. Andrea Borman.

The start menu is the start screen.

I'm not saying this in reply to you, so much, as you just don't want to accept that - but just in case some poor lurker is reading your posts and believing them.

Metro is not a them, it is a user interface. UI = how the user interacts with the OS. Theme = how the UI looks.

And then you will find out that Windows 8 Consumer Preview does not have the Windows 7 start menu like the DP did. And there is no way to disable the Metro theme or bring back the Windows 7 start menu on Windows 8 CP.

And then you will uninstall it like I did and go back to Windows 7. Andrea Borman.

He and all of us already KNOW that and we don't need telling in every post you create. Please, please, please give it a rest, if you don't like Win 8 move on and leave be!

And the Metro theme is not the start menu. The start menu that I and most Windows users want is the normal Windows 7 start menu,not the Metro theme.I think they should change the name of Windows 8 Consumer Preview to-THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE. Well it is is it not? Andrea Borman.

Well guess what? You're not getting one. Microsoft isn't going to overhaul their OS this close to release and turn their back on the years of planning and design work it has already completed. I'm starting to think that if the start screen had a traditional theme (i.e. no Metro colours/design) then these people would love it.

Years of planning? I don't think that Microsoft even took five minutes to build this version of Windows.With it's no start menu and the Metro theme, it looks a mess.

We don't want the Metro theme. I don't want the Metro theme, because we cannot use it like that. We need a normal start menu,like the Windows XP or Windows 7 start menu. Not this,the Metro theme.

There is no way that I will ever use Windows 8,unless it has a normal start menu. Like the other versions of Windows have got.

But then why use Windows 8 at all? When Windows 7 does everything that we want and is everything we want from an operating system. And both Windows XP and Windows 7 run well on netbooks. Windows Vista,they say not so well.

But at least you have got a start menu on Windows Vista. On Windows 8 you have got nothing. Except aggravation in trying to use it.Which you cannot.

I have even started to compare Windows 8 to Linux. I have tried,Xubuntu,Linux Mint,Lubuntu,Linux Mint KDE and even Ubuntu.

And all of them have got start menus that look like the Windows start menus. But Windows 8 has not. Ironic isn't it.

If they stop selling Windows 7 and we are forced to buy Windows 8.People like me will have to start looking for an alternative to Windows just so they can have a start menu.

And while Linux is slower than Windows and will never be as good or as user friendly as Windows. That is Windows XP,Windows Vista and Windows 7. It is better than the alternative. Which is Windows 8 with no start menu and hard to use.Andrea Borman.

You do realise you can create desktop icons and/or pin programs to the taskbar in Windows 7 and Windows 8. The only time I ever used the start menu in Windows 7 was to search for an application (never went through 'all programs') which Windows 8 has as well.

If they stop selling Windows 7 and we are forced to buy Windows 8.People like me will have to start looking for an alternative to Windows just so they can have a start menu.

Better start looking.

Andrea, me and many others are using the CP and enjoying the improvements just fine

I have no idea why you have so much problems adapting to new things/ideas but I'm liking the CP enough

Stop feeding the troll - don't respond to her, and hopefully she won't post. I'm all for sharing opinions, but she's just being a negative nancy and not listening to anyone else's post.

No the start menu is not in Windows 8 Consumer Preview. It was in Developers Preview, but not in this version.

And that picture of the Windows 7 start menu is from either your Windows 7 computer, or from Windows 8 Developers Preview.Which did have the Windows 7 start menu.That you could enable with either a registry edit or by using Metro Controller. But all of those things don't work in Windows 8 CP.

And the Metro theme is not the start menu. The start menu that I and most Windows users want is the normal Windows 7 start menu,not the Metro theme.I think they should change the name of Windows 8 Consumer Preview to-THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE. Well it is is it not? Andrea Borman.

The start menu is gone. Deal with it or find a new OS.

Well guess what? You're not getting one. Microsoft isn't going to overhaul their OS this close to release and turn their back on the years of planning and design work it has already completed. I'm starting to think that if the start screen had a traditional theme (i.e. no Metro colours/design) then these people would love it.

Well that is why we should write to our President or Prime Minister and ask them to ban Windows 8. And we should go to The European Court Of Human Rights and they may ban Windows 8.

Then we will have our Windows 7 with the normal desktop and start menu. And Windows 2000,Windows XP and Windows Vista will be back on sale in the shops again. Andrea Borman.

Well that is why we should write to our President or Prime Minister and ask them to ban Windows 8. And we should go to The European Court Of Human Rights and they may ban Windows 8.

Then we will have our Windows 7 with the normal desktop and start menu. And Windows 2000,Windows XP and Windows Vista will be back on sale in the shops again. Andrea Borman.

how childish can you be? seriously, grow up

Andrea, so far, I have been running Windows 8 on my netbook just as I have on my notebook. I can't see what all your bitching and moaning is about, because all my classic apps still work and run well. The Start Screen runs reasonably well too, just as it does on my notebook. Again, I can't for the life of me figure out why you're on here yelling about it (human rights violations? Gimmie a break!)

The only problem is the Metro apps won't run on netbooks, due to their low resolution screens:

Is that what you're bitching about? Because if it is, then you only have yourself to blame. Netbooks are sub-par machines, that have been nothing more than a fad to the wider tech world. They were pretty much here and gone. Windows 8 is not meant to run on a 1024x600 screen, and quite frankly, neither was Windows 7 or Windows XP.

Surprisingly, the netbook still ranks well in terms of hardware:

The only problems I have had with it, come from the fact that I "upgraded". My touch screen stopped working, but it was fun to "touch" while it lasted. I might (I have to anyways, it was on my list of things to do regardless.) do a complete re-install and see what happens.

Andrea, so far, I have been running Windows 8 on my netbook just as I have on my notebook. I can't see what all your bitching and moaning is about, because all my classic apps still work and run well. The Start Screen runs reasonably well too, just as it does on my notebook. Again, I can't for the life of me figure out why you're on here yelling about it (human rights violations? Gimmie a break!)

The only problem is the Metro apps won't run on netbooks, due to their low resolution screens:

Is that what you're bitching about? Because if it is, then you only have yourself to blame. Netbooks are sub-par machines, that have been nothing more than a fad to the wider tech world. They were pretty much here and gone. Windows 8 is not meant to run on a 1024x600 screen, and quite frankly, neither was Windows 7 or Windows XP.

Surprisingly, the netbook still ranks well in terms of hardware:

The only problems I have had with it, come from the fact that I "upgraded". My touch screen stopped working, but it was fun to "touch" while it lasted. I might (I have to anyways, it was on my list of things to do regardless.) do a complete re-install and see what happens.

That is not true.When they brought out Windows Vista many netbooks were being sold with Windows XP because it runs better on a netbook. And so does Windows 7. As a result most netbooks had Windows XP or Windows 7 until they stopped selling Windows XP and Windows Vista. And now all shops that sell new laptops only sell Windows 7 netbooks.

It is possible because Windows 8 cannot run Metro apps on a netbook.That when they bring Windows 8 out they may still sell Windows 7 on netbooks for this reason. Then I won't have to worry about Windows 8.

But as for bringing back the Windows 7 start menu on Windows 8 CP.There are three software's that can do this,V Start and Start Menu 7 and another new software. Read this here-http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46683497/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/t/ways-bring-back-start-menu-windows/#.T12m24FmJ_Y

I found it on the web. Although these software do not disable the Metro theme.They still give you the Windows 7 start menu with the Metro theme,like Classic Shell did. So maybe all hope is not lost. Andrea Borman.

No they won't since everyone is stopping to make netbooks. Samsung is the first big one to drop out. But all of them are. The only new that may survive are the more powerful 11 and 12 inch models that are to powerful to qualify as netbooks, and also have high enough res to run metro apps.

Besides that why would they. Windows 8 runs on the small netbooks, it runs faster, and it runs all the apps that windows 7 run, it also has a fully fledged start menu(screen), that can do everything the win7 one can and then some. The only thing they don't run is metro apps. Meaning there no point putting 7 instead of 8 on them.

That is not true.When they brought out Windows Vista many netbooks were being sold with Windows XP because it runs better on a netbook. And so does Windows 7. As a result most netbooks had Windows XP or Windows 7 until they stopped selling Windows XP and Windows Vista. And now all shops that sell new laptops only sell Windows 7 netbooks.

It is possible because Windows 8 cannot run Metro apps on a netbook.That when they bring Windows 8 out they may still sell Windows 7 on netbooks for this reason. Then I won't have to worry about Windows 8.

But as for bringing back the Windows 7 start menu on Windows 8 CP.There are three software's that can do this,V Start and Start Menu 7 and another new software. Read this here-http://www.msnbc.msn...s/#.T12m24FmJ_Y

I found it on the web. Although these software do not disable the Metro theme.They still give you the Windows 7 start menu with the Metro theme,like Classic Shell did. So maybe all hope is not lost. Andrea Borman.

It is true. Most OEMs today are focusing on building ultra-books to replace lower end systems, which Windows 8 WILL run on.

But as for bringing back the Windows 7 start menu on Windows 8 CP.There are three software's that can do this,V Start and Start Menu 7 and another new software. Read this here-http://www.msnbc.msn...s/#.T12m24FmJ_Y

Repeat after me:

METRO IS NOT A THEME

You get it now? This is not rocket science, although for you it might be....

No they won't since everyone is stopping to make netbooks. Samsung is the first big one to drop out. But all of them are. The only new that may survive are the more powerful 11 and 12 inch models that are to powerful to qualify as netbooks, and also have high enough res to run metro apps.

Besides that why would they. Windows 8 runs on the small netbooks, it runs faster, and it runs all the apps that windows 7 run, it also has a fully fledged start menu(screen), that can do everything the win7 one can and then some. The only thing they don't run is metro apps. Meaning there no point putting 7 instead of 8 on them.

What are you talking about? Every shop in England sells netbooks. When I say netbooks I mean like my HP Mini 201 1GB netbook or notebook. And then there are 2G B and 3B and 4 GB full sized laptops.You know the big laptops,that also have a built in DVD drive.

So if people are not going to use netbooks and laptops what will they use? Andrea Borman.

So if people are not going to use netbooks and laptops what will they use?

Laptops, tablets, and ultra-books. Ultra-books are the new netbooks, but are better due to the better processor they have and higher-resolution screens. Netbooks are history.

All three of these devices can and will be running Windows 8 instead of Windows 7, compared to your netbooks.

Laptops, tablets, and ultra-books. Ultra-books are the new netbooks, but are better due to the better processor they have and higher-resolution screens. Netbooks are history.

All three of these devices can and will be running Windows 8 instead of Windows 7, compared to your netbooks.

Well I don't want an I pad or a Tablet. And can somebody show me what a tablet is because I don't know. But I want to use a netbook. I prefer netboks because they are smaller and lighter than a big and heavy full sized laptop. But a netbook runs like a full sized computer at least mine does.

But show me what a Tablet is I don't know what that is. Andrea Borman.

Well I don't want an I pad or a Tablet. And can somebody show me what a tablet is because I don't know. But I want to use a netbook. I prefer netboks because they are smaller and lighter than a big and heavy full sized laptop. But a netbook runs like a full sized computer at least mine does.

But show me what a Tablet is I don't know what that is. Andrea Borman.

Then continue to use an old netbook with win7 or less on it. Nobody is going to force you to update to something newer. If you dont like windows 8, dont use it lol.

Then continue to use an old netbook with win7 or less on it. Nobody is going to force you to update to something newer. If you dont like windows 8, dont use it lol.

See the problem here is you're using logic, and AndreaBorman can't do logic.

Well if anyone wants to get back the Windows 7 start menu in Windows 8 CP,here is a way to do it-http://www.msnbc.msn...s/#.T14u4YFmJ_Z

I read this post on the web yesterday and V Start and Start Menu 7 are two software's that can put the start menu back into Windows 8 CP. I was also told about them on Windows 8 Forums and the members there had tried these software's and both work.

And anyway this is only the Beta release of Windows 8.So maybe the final version of Windows 8 will have the option to turn off the Metro theme. Andrea Borman.

And anyway this is only the Beta release of Windows 8.So maybe the final version of Windows 8 will have the option to turn off the Metro theme. Andrea Borman.

Andrea, to turn off the Metro theme UI, is to turn off Windows 8. METRO IS WINDOWS 8!

Andrea, to turn off the Metro theme UI, is to turn off Windows 8. METRO IS WINDOWS 8!

Why don't you read this thread on Windows 8 Forums here-http://windows8forum...win-8-me-6.html

And you will see that a lot of members over there including me DO NOT WANT the Metro theme.

And there is a way to get the Windows 7 start menu back on Windows 8 CP. Both V Start and Start Menu 7 will work on Windows 8 CP. And give you the Windows 7 start menu. So you can find all of your programs and the shut down button easily.

And what you said about turning off the Metro theme is to turn off Windows 8 is NOT true. Because on Windowsw 8 DP YOU COULD do that and it did not effect it. It's just that they have removed this feature in Windows 8 CP that's all. Andrea Borman.