F1 World Championship 2012 Thread

bit harsh on Vettel his defence was fine, hell when Alonso did the same thing to him the stewards deemed it fine.

Yeah, the stewards aren't really helping to curb the "FIA = Ferrari International Assistance" jokes.

I can't stand Vettel and I thought the penalty was harsh. Seb took one line through the corner, he didn't chop across the track, he just held the racing line. The FIA's attempt to sanitise F1 will end up taking all the fun out of it if the FIA keep going slap happy with the penalties. As for Alonso, even when he has a crap weekend the luck seems to fall his way. If there's any comfort for me though it's that McLaren seem to have a clear edge over everyone else at the moment, especially in qualifying, and with Singapore next Red Bull will be more of a factor, if the bulls and Ferraris start taking points off each other it helps McLaren with the current advantage they seem to enjoy.

Should be an interesting end to the season.

And the move Di Resta put on Senna was apparantly fine too.

Ahh yes, I forgot about that, as well as Senna getting forced off a second time just a few laps later (can't remember who it was the second time round though).

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

Former F1 medical delegate Sid Watkins dies aged 84

Sid Watkins, Formula 1's former FIA Medical Delegate, who was key in making the sport as safe as it is today, has died. He was 84.

Widely known throughout motor racing as 'the Prof', Watkins served for more than two decades as head of F1's on-track medical team - improving safety standards and saving the lives of many drivers.

Born and educated in Liverpool, Watkins had worked as a doctor at Brands Hatch and Watkins Glen before being offered the medical delegate role for F1 after meeting Bernie Ecclestone in 1978.

He campaigned hard to improve safety standards and medical facilities at tracks through a spell where the sport lost many high-profile drivers - including Ronnie Peterson and Gilles Villeneuve.

His efforts to ensure that medical centres were up to scratch, medical cars were used correctly and a medical helicopter was mandatory helped improve the sport dramatically.

That work helped save the lives of a number of drivers through Watkins' 26-year spell in F1, including Didier Pironi, Nelson Piquet, Gerhard Berger, Rubens Barrichello, Mika Hakkinen, Martin Donnelly, and Karl Wendlinger.

But his saddest weekend came at the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix, where Watkins witnessed first-hand as both Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna - a personal friend - were killed.

After that Imola weekend, Watkins was involved in the setting up of the FIA Expert Advisory Safety Committee, which eventually became the FIA Institute for Motor Sport Safety.

Watkins retired from his medical role in F1 in 2005, but continued to push for ever improved standards through his role as the first president of the FIA Institute, before stepping down from that position in 2011 but retaining an honorary role.

He most recently returned to the spotlight in the film 'Senna' where he recounted the Imola 1994 weekend and how he tried to persuade the Brazilian racing driver to retire from the sport after Ratzenberger's crash so the pair of them could 'go fishing'.

Watkins famously wrote in his autobiography about what he told Senna: "What else do you need to do? You have been world champion three times, you are obviously the quickest driver. Give it up and let's go fishing."

AUTOSPORT sends its condolences to the Watkins family.

Source: Autosport

BBC Formula 1 host Jake Humphrey to switch to BT football coverage from 2013

Jake Humphrey will leave the BBC and quit his role as its Formula 1 anchor at the end of the year.

The 33-year-old will instead front BT Vision's coverage of the Barclays Premier League.

Humphrey, who was out of contract at the end of this season, has been the face of F1 on the BBC ever since the channel won the rights to broadcast races from the 2009 season.

At the end of 2011 the BBC was named broadcaster of the year at the FIA Prize Giving Gala in New Delhi.

This year however his role has been diminished as a result of the BBC's share TV deal with Sky.

Humphrey, who has fronted the London 2012 Olympics, BBC Sports Personality of the Year and European Championships football coverage in his 10-year stint with the channel, said he was thrilled to be joining BT's new venture.

"I am incredibly excited to be joining the team at BT not just because I get to fulfil a lifelong dream of presenting the Barclays Premier League but because of the fresh perspective that BT will bring to both sport and broadcasting in this country," he said.

"To be a part of this young, vibrant team who are as passionate about sport as I am, is a privilege.

"I've grown up at the BBC, and whilst I hope to work with them in the future, I'd also like to place on record my thanks to them.

"I am incredibly grateful to all colleagues, and of course the viewers, for their incredible support from CBBC all the way to Formula 1.

"My focus from the start of 2013 is on making BT's coverage of football the best this country has ever seen."

Marc Watson, chief executive of BT Vision, added: "We are absolutely delighted that Jake has chosen to join our new sports channel to anchor our Premier League programming.

"Jake is a tremendously experienced and popular sports broadcaster and a fresh, young and innovative talent.

"He impressed us with his willingness to get deeply involved in the development of our live football programming and we took into account his track record of excellent presenting across many sports.

"He fits our plans for the new channel perfectly and we are very excited to be working with him."

Source: Autosport

wow. speechless here. this is the first time since back in 1999, when mclaren managed to get pole in 4 consecutive races.

if they keep this up, hami will win the wdc for sure.

Haha poor lolonso, dunno what happened there. Another stunner by Hamilton, great drive by Maldonado.

given equal cars and conditions, p5 is santanderlonsos default position. nothing new here. he had some pretty lucky races this year, but it should equal out at the end of the season :)

I suspect this is all ammunition for him to fire back at McLaren when they say he needs to take a pay cut. With Schumachers antics on track making it look likely that he will retire at the end of this season, I suspect Hamilton could go either way McLaren or Mercedes as it stands right at this minute.

Sorry for double post cant edit my last.

Vettel and Button were dragged into the stewards a while ago because of the safety car incident, there was a rule that was developed last year for exactly this reason, Vettel being a twunt backing the pack up so tightly:

No car may be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed

potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person at any time whilst the safety car is

deployed. This will apply whether any such car is being driven on the track, the pit entry or the

pit lane.

2012 F1 Sporting Regulations 29 of 43 7 December 2011

? 2011 F?d?ration Internationale de l?Auto

They have just come out from the stewards and no further action is to be taken against Vettel.

Getting sick of the inconsistency when applying the rules, especially rules that were developed because of certain drivers.

Its no use having different stewards and driver representatives at different races, they need the same stewards every race so they can apply the rules consistently and fairly.

Good race, I would liked to have seen Button win, but you can't complain with second.

Goodness know what was going through MS mind, he had a complete brain fart. I wonder if he would have been so gracious if he's been smacked up the rear.

Schumacher handed 10-place grid penalty for Japan

Mercedes? Michael Schumacher has been punished by the Singapore stewards for his collision with Toro Rosso?s Jean-Eric Vergne during Sunday's Marina Bay race. Schumacher receives a 10-place grid penalty for the next round in Japan.

Schumacher and Vergne both retired immediately after the Mercedes driver slammed into the back of the Frenchman?s STR7 on the race?s restart following the first safety-car period.

The Japanese Grand Prix takes place at Suzuka from October 5-7.

I can't believe Eddie Jordan was right! :o

Lewis Hamilton is to leave McLaren after signing a three-year deal to race for Mercedes from next season.

The move, predicted by BBC Sport's Eddie Jordan earlier this month, was announced on Friday, causing huge repercussions throughout Formula 1.

It has forced Michael Schumacher out of Mercedes but it it is not clear whether the German legend will go back into retirement or look for another team.

Sauber driver Sergio Perez has signed as Hamilton's replacement at McLaren.

"It is now time for me to take on a fresh challenge and I am very excited to begin a new chapter," said 2008 world champion Hamilton, who will partner Nico Rosberg at Mercedes. "Mercedes-Benz has such an incredible heritage in motorsport, along with a passion for winning which I share. Together, we can grow and rise to this new challenge. I believe that I can help steer the Silver Arrows to the top and achieve our joint ambitions of winning the world championships."

Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn said: "I believe that the combination of Lewis and Nico will be the most dynamic and exciting pairing on the grid next year and I am looking forward to what we can achieve together. Over the past three years, we have been putting in place the foundations and building blocks that are needed to compete regularly for the world championship. The potential is now there to match any other team on the grid."

Hamilton's decision is a huge blow to McLaren, who will now have to do without the speed and inspirational talent of a man they have nurtured since he was 13 years old.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said the Briton had written "a huge chapter of his life and career with us", adding: "It goes without saying that we all wish him well for the future."

Although Hamilton's salary at Mercedes will be larger than the one he was offered by McLaren - and he has more opportunity to earn money through personal sponsorships and endorsements - sources close to the Englishman insist he has switched teams with a view to long-term performance.

McLaren have the fastest car this season, while Mercedes have slipped backwards after a promising start to the year.

But Mercedes have sold the move to Hamilton on the basis that they are preparing for a huge push in 2014, when new chassis and engine rules are introduced.

Schumacher's future is uncertain. Sauber team boss Peter Sauber said a week ago that he would offer the seven-time champion a drive if he became available.

Despite the Swiss team's strong performances this season, that would be seen as a significant comedown for a man who was expected to win on his return.

Instead, Schumacher's comeback after three years in retirement has been a huge disappointment. The 43-year-old German has scored only one podium finish in three years.

In a statement, Schumacher thanked Mercedes for their "trust" and "unconditonal commitment". "I have had three nice years with the team which unfortunately did not go as well as we all would have wanted on the sporting side," he said. "I wish Lewis well and for the team to achieve the success we worked so hard for in the build-up. I will now concentrate on the next races."

So there we go. Personally, I'm quite surprised Perez has ended up at McLaren, as I was expecting him to take Massa's seat at Ferrari. I wonder if Schumacher will take it now? That'd be great to see him reunited with the team he won five WDCs in a row with.