Utah teens arrested in alleged school bombing plot

SALT LAKE CITY ? Two Utah high school students plotted to set off explosives during a school assembly and steal a plane to make their getaway, police said Thursday.

The students prepared by logging hundreds of hours on flight simulator software on their home computers, and they planned to take a plane at Ogden Hinckley Airport, said Roy police spokeswoman Anna Bond said.

Dallin Morgan, 18, and a 16-year-old boy were pulled out of school Wednesday after authorities learned of the plot, held for hours of questioning and arrested, she said. An after-school bomb sweep found no explosives at Roy High School, about 30 miles north of Salt Lake City.

Morgan was held on $10,000 bail at Weber County jail on suspicion of conspiracy to commit mass destruction. The juvenile was in custody at Weber Valley Detention Center on the same charge. Prosecutors are weighing possible additional charges.

Both students had "absolute knowledge of the security systems and the layout of the school," Bond said. "They knew where the security cameras were. Their original plan was to set off explosives during an assembly. We don't know what date they were planning to do this, but they had been planning it for months."

more

Get away to where ... ? FAA, FBI would them in custody, in a flash.

Not only that, but, where would they find a plane to hijack, with today's airport standards? I don't assume two children can afford even a small biplane.

But nothing happened... And they didn't have bombs... And logging hours into a game is hardly real world experience... Might as well arrest all kids who play CoD, because they have logged hundreds of hours on how to shoot a gun. Thought Crimes ... scary, but the government arresting those who haven't done anything or even really shown any relative proof of being able to is scarier. 1984 has come to be, and we have gladly accepted it... I hate it.

But nothing happened... And they didn't have bombs... And logging hours into a game is hardly real world experience... Might as well arrest all kids who play CoD, because they have logged hundreds of hours on how to shoot a gun. Thought Crimes ... scary, but the government arresting those who haven't done anything or even really shown any relative proof of being able to is scarier. 1984 has come to be, and we have gladly accepted it... I hate it.

depending on the game, it actually is helpful. For instance, one of the creators of the game DCS A-10C warthog went and used one of the USAF's flight sims. he was able to fly without any assistance.

and I can guarntee there is proof of what they where going to do. Its like saying we shouldnt arrest someone who says "Im going to bomb X location at X time. I have all the plans drawn out, and know the security systems in place"

depending on the game, it actually is helpful. For instance, one of the creators of the game DCS A-10C warthog went and used one of the USAF's flight sims. he was able to fly without any assistance.

and I can guarntee there is proof of what they where going to do. Its like saying we shouldnt arrest someone who says "Im going to bomb X location at X time. I have all the plans drawn out, and know the security systems in place"

Actions are greatly different than words and thoughts. Just because someone says 1 thing, doesn't mean they are going to do it, even if they say they "plan" on it. And a school security system isn't anything.. When I went to school, I could have easily told anyone where almost all the cameras and sensors were. It's not like its something that is sophisticated.

And playing a game does not equat to anything. They didn't have explosives, and to steal a plane... that isn't something one just does. If one can just steal a plane, I would blame the airport for shoddy ass security that would have let a kid get through in the first place.

These are kids, who are emotional and not really rational. They say things all the time, and do stupid things all the time. But many don't actually follow through with what they "plan" or "say" they will do.

Again, thought crimes are horrible to implement. At what point will we draw the line for thought crimes? It's like saying a crime is worse because you did it out of hate... There shouldn't be extra punishment because of what was on your mind. The punishment should fit the crime, and if there is no real crime, the puishment shouldn't be anything severe. These kids maybe need professional help and mentoring, but locking them up and arresting them goes beyond what should be acceptable for a crime that was only thought about.

But nothing happened... And they didn't have bombs... And logging hours into a game is hardly real world experience....

If they had detailed, credible plans and had researched the security systems they can be charged with entering into a criminal conspiracy. In a conspiracy the crime doesn 't need to he committed, just planned.

If they had collected in one place the chemicals necessary to make the explosives, and these can be purchaced most anywhere, then they can be charged with state and federal violations under the laws governing explosives. As they say - "....a few household chemicals in the proper proportions." Example: you can easily make a powerful explosive from aspirin.

It's also possible they could be charged under the Patriot Act for planning domestic terrorism.

While they may not have been able to steal a jet from a big airport, stealing a plane from a Genera Aviation airport is much easier, and there are 5,200 of them in the US. Many of them don't even have a tower or much security at all, especially out west.

If they had detailed, credible plans and had researched the security systems they can be charged with entering into a criminal conspiracy. In a conspiracy the crime doesn 't need to he committed, just planned.

If they had collected in one place the chemicals necessary to make the explosives, and these can be purchaced most anywhere, then they can be charged with state and federal violations under the laws governing explosives. As they say - "....a few household chemicals in the proper proportions." Example: you can easily make a powerful explosive from aspirin.

It's also possible they could be charged under the Patriot Act for planning domestic terrorism.

While they may not have been able to steal a jet from a big airport, stealing a plane from a Genera Aviation airport is much easier. Many of them don't even have a tower or much security at all, especially out west.

See, just welcoming police state.... Everyone right now, basically has components to build bombs by that logic.... Those who would trade security for freedom deserve neither.

The whole plot seems stupid and extreme I mean setting off explosives at a school... what the hell is this world coming to? What's next, poison gas in a day care centre?

That's easier than a bomb. I won't go into details, but every home has what's required to make a WW-I style poison gas. Lots of it. Scary, 'eh?

See, just welcoming police state.... Everyone right now, basically has components to build bombs by that logic.... Those who would trade security for freedom deserve neither.

The state conspiracy laws are nothing new - they have been on the books for decades if not a century. The federal RICO law dates back to the war on the Mafia.

The chemicals required to make explosives would be in quantities much higher than for innocent use. Using my example, to make a big bomb you'd have to start out hundreds of times more than anyone would normally have.

Domestic terrorism is very real, and these kids were planning a rather nasty attack. Why shouldn't they be charged under all applicable laws, including the Patriot Act?

The "Copycat Effect."

Just like with serial killers where others try to share the glory by committing similar crimes, making Columbine a big media event has caused others to try to one-up them. I'm convinced if the media had toned down the coverage we wouldn't have seen as many copycats.

Then there is the pre-Columbine movie Heathers, in which there is a school bombing plot. It has become a cult favorite of those kids obsessed with Columbine and are involved in its subculture (and there is one.)