Superman: Man of Steel (2013)

Finally got around to seeing this last night. 

I was a little unsure what to expect - the hype machine, and the trailers were making it out to be amazing but then a lot of distinctly luke-warm reviews came in and I started to think it was going to suck. I adjusted my expectations and went into the cinema with some apprehension.

In the end I didn't need to worry - it was a great movie. I will accept that there are problems with the film, with a number of plot holes and contrivances but clearly I was so immersed in the film I didn't even think about those until after the movie when they were pointed out to me by friends I'd seen the film with. 

I loved the way it looked. I loved the scope and scale of the film. The score was very good of course. Most of the cast turned in a pretty decent performance. I thought the action sequences were so fierce and unrelenting that they really made you feel like you were there - quite a few times I had a chuckle to myself as yet more destruction was happening as I was so impressed with how well done it all was. And I thought the quieter, more poignant moments (such as the parts with Clark as a kid) were really good.

Overall it's a must watch for me and will be picked up on blu-ray when it comes out! 9/10.  

I'm not much of a Superman fan to begin with, but my friends were going anyway and I thought that a reboot with a team such as they had might change my mind and renew my interest. It didn't. I found myself counting down the minutes until the break and I started nodding off in the second half. :(

I just came back from it, I say it was pretty good. Although the pacing was a bit off, and Lois Lane was just.. there. lol. I don't know, I just didn't see chemistry between Cavill and Adams. She was not bad to look at though lol. 

I just came back from it, I say it was pretty good. Although the pacing was a bit off, and Lois Lane was just.. there. lol. I don't know, I just didn't see chemistry between Cavill and Adams. She was not bad to look at though lol. 

Frankly, in a 'real life' situation, I'd think a Lois Lane would be scared to death of Superman's powers. :laugh:

Frankly, in a 'real life' situation, I'd think a Lois Lane would be scared to death of Superman's powers. :laugh:

I think she gave in a bit too easily, she had such a strong personality when she was revealed, and then suddenly, she trusts him. like.. wtf? 

Henry Cavill makes Christopher Reeves and Brandon Routh look like pu...ies. He nailed it as Superman. I really loved this guy. He looked awesome and he did the role very well. Michael Shannon deserves an award for his performance as General Zod. He was absolutely awesome as well.

Oh and this chic was hot too. What a sexy woman

414932.1.jpg

Excellent performances, beautiful visuals, strong story, crazy action, and outstanding soundtrack.

Like others mentioned my expectations were drastically lowered by the mixed reviews but it seemed to me any minor flaws were greatly exaggerated by some critics or even non-existent.  You could nitpick at certain aspects in the dialog and pacing but I really enjoyed the non-linear storytelling and flashbacks that some seemed to have a problem with.  My only criticism would be that shaky cam was a little much at times. Overall a great movie. 

Very good movie, good storie, probably better than the original.

But what's with all the handheld/shoulder camera work?  God I was happy not seeing it in 3D, I would have been sick.

I'm surprised you say that.  How could you see a movie this visceral anywhere else but IMAX 3D?  I don't know a single person that felt squeamish, include those that had @ Avatar.

I'm surprised you say that.  How could you see a movie this visceral anywhere else but IMAX 3D?  I don't know a single person that felt squeamish, include those that had @ Avatar.

I wanted to see it in IMAX but not IMAX 3D and apparently, movie theatres don't do regular IMAX anymore. I don't like 3D because I wear glasses and having to wear the 3D glasses on top hurts my nose. Also, everything is darker in 3D and that bothers me a lot. It makes it hard to notice details in dark scenes.

Sure you aren't comparing to Real3D?  IMAX is noticeably brighter (and uses bigger glasses - maybe you need a custom pair :)).  They ran both the standard IMAX and 3D near me.  The sound is the important part though, turn that **** up to 11.  Gotta feel those super-punches, Wham!  

So I guess I'm the only one(including my friends) who thought the movie was cr*p(watched it in 2D)? The actors did a good job, but it was too animated(3D effects don't look good in 2D :p )  and the storyline wasn't that great either. For gods sake, they used 30+ minutes to show every inch of Krypton, the planet you're never ever ever going to see again. I almost fell asleep waiting for the main plot to begin. :S

• 3 weeks later...

Seen it 5 times now.

Love it!

They need another Man of Steel, then reboot Batman, bring in the rest of the JLA and do the Justice League film. It's no secret who he should fight in the JL film...Doomsday. Perfect villain and Kal will have some support. End it with the death of Superman and then in Man of Steel 3, have the reign of the supermen and his return. It doesn't need to be like the comics, but inspired by it for sure.

Can't think of a bigger threat in the comics for the JLA than Doomsday.