Nikon D800: 36.3-Megapixel Multimedia HD-SLR

Untrue. I've seen lots of photojs post things like "I shot this at iso 100k for [some publication]. It wouldn't have been possible with out the [insert D3s or 1D MKIV]. I don't know how OFTEN it's used, but it is used.

That's the thing, they didn't make an "apples to apples" change on the D800. They kind of combined the D700 and the D3x, so you can't compare the two.

Check the performance of the D3x vs the D800.

Did a quick search, a lot of people ranting at dpreview, fredmiranda about the maximum ISO.

I've a quick question though, I guess it will be thoroughly answered when we get d800, But shouldn't the d800's sensor perform better. Eg.

D800's ISO @ 6,400 will probably look like a D700 @ 1,600?

In the long run, if I ever have time for photography, I'll probably end up w/ the D800 (or "D800s" by the time I'll have free time again) and slap the grip on it and be set for a while.

Although, the way I'm shooting my D90, that time might come sooner than I think. It's got over 60,000 frames and starting to show its age (like a memory card door that snapped clean off!).

Anybody here care to elaborate on dynamic range?

for example i saw a review back sometime of a full sensor cam and one with a cropped one.

And both the videos had the same settings and everything. But i noticed the eyes of the subject were dark brown but in the cropped video they were black. I mean let me explain.

The video of the cropped unit had harder contrast. Where as the video of the full frame sensor had a lighter midtone (kinda like very minor HDR)

So can anybody explain whats responsible for this?

In a nutshell, Dynami Range means what spectrum of colors / levels of light per color a camera is able to capture before it is "blended" into other colors. In other word, how well it can differentiate similar but not equal colors.

It is, of course, more complicated but this should give you an idea.

For example (with made-up numbers), the D700 might be able to capture data within a range of 13 stops of light in one single image, while the D800 might be 14 stops of light.

Does that make sense?

So wait a minute. More pixels means more stops?

:s

I thought it was more about how many colors a single pixel can show.

This is really confusing stuff. I notice it most when i see pictures from a 5D over something like a 500D. The difference is pretty noticeable.

I'm looking forward to Canon releasing a competitor. If not, then I'll start planning to purchase this D800E model.

A medium format camera in such a fabulous package for 3K is a bargain!!! It's cheaper than Hasselblad or Mamiya.

And once you see the kind of depth and immersion a medium format camera produces - it becomes an addiction. I want one really bad :woot:

Right, but do you just push a button and problem solved, or do you have to go into detail and tweak it, etc?

Agreed, and also, will it remove the additional detail gained by the lack of the AA filter? Also, If it is so easy to fix in post, why not process the image in-camera?

A medium format camera in such a fabulous package for 3K is a bargain!!! It's cheaper than Hasselblad or Mamiya.

And once you see the kind of depth and immersion a medium format camera produces - it becomes an addiction. I want one really bad :woot:

The 36 MP D800E is NOT a medium format camera in the same sense that an 18 MP 7D is NOT a Full Frame camera.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been waiting for this camera for some time now, i'm glad it's finally being released . It's a shame that it is so much more expensive than a D700 though, and with Nikon's new price fixing unilateral pricing structure vendors cannot discount it below it's RRP :(

That and given that Nikon have also now stopped selling parts to independent repair shops, meaning that for repair you MUST pay top dollar by going direct to Nikon, I am unsure if I will continue supporting Nikon during this round of upgrades. Given that I have had some shocking experiences with Nikon repairs and there are some indie repairers I truly trust with my gear this particular scheme by Nikon is really disappointing.

I was completely set on getting a D800 when released but i'm seriously now considering investing in going Canon.

so then sell your sht and go buy canon lol. they both do the exact same job.

Err, well if you'd actually read my post that's exactly what I was considering doing!

Wow 3rd grade reading really failed some people!

I did read your post. You said "but i'm seriously now considering investing in going Canon." Considering doesn't mean you're planning to.

My post was simply to say that you should go through w/ it

Everyone b*tchin about fps here. Really? I mean come on. When I do a shoot, I take maybe 1 or 2 shots every 10 minutes maybe, if that. compose, move, frame. shoot. If you want 15fps, buy a PJ camera. 4-6 frames is fine for what this camera was designed for, studio shooting, at 1 frame every few minutes. Only noobs take 50 shots a second hoping they get a good one in a studio/fashion setting.

D800 is what I'll probably get, dont need the E as I do more fashion-y stuff then landscape.

• 2 weeks later...

When you start packing every single feature into a camera, it creates an expectations among consumers that can create disappointment if one thing is left out or not up to par.

As with every Nikon pro level body, I'm sure it'll be kick ass even long after it's replaced (in 5 years lawl).

I'm just disappointed by the fact that there's no smaller body version of the D4 which is also aimed for more ISO and FPS performance, so an actual upgrade to the D700 (baby D3s rather than a baby D3x), unless there's another FX coming?

There MIGHT be, ya never know. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make one because of how much it eats into sales of the D# series, though.