• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Five Reasons why Windows 8 will be dead on arrival

smoledman    2

If Windows 7 is already super-efficient in terms of app launching why take a step backwards with Metro? Explain to me how I will be more efficient in Windows 8 compared to Windows 7. I know Microsoft needs desperately to get into tablets, but forcing this tablet UI on desktops seems to be utterly alienating and ill-conceived. What I want is the Windows 7 UI on top of the under-the-hood improvements.

• Like 1

Dot Matrix    7,438

I read somewhere that the reason you can't put your own background is that the start screen allows you to scroll and to zoom in and out

If you have your standard desktop picture with these features it's going to look really bad when you start zooming or scrolling

Not really. The desktop picture would remain static, while the tiles zoom and scroll.

Zain Adeel    197

Dot Matrix. Let me explain how the background of startscreen works.

Its not a static image. There are layers of images. And they work and scroll at different speeds to give the parallax effect.

A custom photo will ruin it. RUIN IT .. i cannot emphasis more how bad it would look.

So kudos to MS for not listening to anyone about this.

But. What would be cool is if they desktop Looks more like Metro. So it feels like its the same material just molded differently.

But right now thats not the case. And the reason must be that 3rd party developers are not so comfortable imagining Metro Design language ported to desktop. When developers will be ready to make apps look simple and neat like Metro, Aero UI will go away. And this will happen within 3 years. Thats just a guess.

• Like 1

simplezz    863

"Win 8 Fisher-Price" OS with very big tiles so you can touch them with your arm or leg :laugh:

LOL

• Like 1

smoledman    2

So you're saying Windows 8 is an OS for handicapped people?

The_Decimator    39

Like Windows Vista, it was dead before its release. Early version of Windows Vista were clear indication of it. It is not a rocket science.

Well, if you went by prototypes of almost every OS, you could've said they indicated they were all dead before release, but, obviously, that never happened. It's not rocket science to realize that prototypes usually suck. (Inb4 says you with the Longhorn sig.)

Night Prowler    163

i have to agree w/ #1. i still cant think of any reason i'll need to upgrade from 7. i havent found one new feature that has wow'd me.

That's funny, isn't that what you said when windows 7 came out, and you were on XP or Vista, and now you are on Windows 7...

• Like 1

Ci7    209

Dot Matrix. Let me explain how the background of startscreen works.

Its not a static image. There are layers of images. And they work and scroll at different speeds to give the parallax effect.

A custom photo will ruin it. RUIN IT .. i cannot emphasis more how bad it would look.

So kudos to MS for not listening to anyone about this.

But. What would be cool is if they desktop Looks more like Metro. So it feels like its the same material just molded differently.

But right now thats not the case. And the reason must be that 3rd party developers are not so comfortable imagining Metro Design language ported to desktop. When developers will be ready to make apps look simple and neat like Metro, Aero UI will go away. And this will happen within 3 years. Thats just a guess.

regarding the molding

bet we would be there in the next few years Code name Windows 9 :)

remixedcat    2,767

I don't want mold on my operating system. i had to deal with enough when i bought this house due to bad contractors.

Growled    3,881

Most people hate changes and I think they're going to be more changes in 8 than most people can handle. I see 8 as a foundation release. It is laying the foundation for the direction that Windows will take for the next few releases. It will not be accepted at first but by 9 things will be refined to the point that I see it becoming a huge hit. Sort of like the Vista/7 thing being played out again.

• Like 2

devBrian    64

Haha, what a poorly written and opinionated article. Go fish elsewhere.

scaramonga    202

Agree with everything the article says, Vista 2 here we go.

• Like 1

scaramonga    202

Let's just remind ourselve's of Vista lol, and note that this WILL be the same fiasco :)

• Like 1

Matthew_Thepc    59

After using the WDP on a laptop since it came out, I'd have to say that I actually enjoy it. For the first week or two I really didn't like it (I was simply too used to the start menu and how I could access anything at any time thru it) but after a while it really just became the same thing to me. When I want to launch an application, I either open up the Start Screen and press it's tile (as I would do with a pinned app or an app on my Start Menu) or do Start -> [begin typing name of app] -> enter. IMO consumers will want Metro - it allows them to do the things they want (browse the Internet, use email, facebook, (possibly) Office, play games) in an environment that's secure (app certification/Windows Store), portable (synching of data with SkyDrive), and all around a better experience than the 'old' Windows. If you don't like Metro, or if you're a power user and Metro slows you down, there'll most likely be an option to remove it, and then you can enjoy the improvements Windows 8 offers to desktop users (which, might I point out, we have yet to see since we've only been looking at a preview designed to showcase Metro).

BTW, am I wrong in thinking that even if Microsoft doesn't add a big 'TURN OFF METRO' button that there'll either be a way to do it thru registry, gpedit, or some third party mod?

there's my 2 cents

Dot Matrix    7,438

Let's just remind ourselve's of Vista lol, and note that this WILL be the same fiasco :)

Vista "failed" because there was a lack of compatible drivers, and underpowered hardware. NOT because it was different from XP.

So far, Windows 8 maintains 100% backwards compatibility with previous versions of Windows. If Windows 7 can run it, so can Windows 8.

remixedcat    2,767

Vista "failed" because there was a lack of compatible drivers, and underpowered hardware. NOT because it was different from XP.

So far, Windows 8 maintains 100% backwards compatibility with previous versions of Windows. If Windows 7 can run it, so can Windows 8.

it even ran ok in a vm on vmware player 4 and vmware workstation as well. ;-)

scaramonga    202

Sore coz you bought it? I never lol :) Never was stupid enough lol, sorry ;)

Dot Matrix    7,438

Sore coz you bought it? I never lol :) Never was stupid enough lol, sorry ;)

LMAO. Not only did I buy it (retail), I actually *still use* Vista. Vista w/ SP2 is a pretty solid OS. ;)

Motoko.    435

I like how everyone here is predicting the future when it hasn't been revealed yet. The biggest surprises reside in the unknown, so let everything have its time and its chance.

I sure will be giving Windows 8 a go.

scaramonga    202

LMAO. Not only did I buy it (retail), I actually *still use* Vista. Vista w/ SP2 is a pretty solid OS. ;)

My condolences buddy. I know times are hard around the world and such, but my heart goes out to you (and all) who happen to still use this dreadful beast, it must be terrible, and more so if you just skip to Windows 8, how awful.

Please know that I am here for you at any time.

Motoko.    435

My condolences buddy. I know times are hard around the world and such, but my heart goes out to you (and all) who happen to still use this dreadful beast, it must be terrible, and more so if you just skip to Windows 8, how awful.

Please know that I am here for you at any time.

4gidn.jpg

• Like 1

coolman330    0

Looking over Windows 8, it appears it is nothing but an updated Windows 7 with metro added in. and All metro is, is a copy of IOS or android start screens, which I really dont care for. Ill probably never use the metro screen anyway, so why update, if it doesnt have any other important featrures.

And watch the cost of this update, probably try to sell as a new OS, but then ask you to use there store adn make money that way. If they want tyou to do that, take that into consideration and cut the cost accordingly for what they feel they will make on the back end, AS APPLE DOES. heck there updates are free.

Sorry to say, ive been waiting now for almost three to four years for this to come out, and could not wait anylonger, broke down and bought an IPAD, and just love it.

Windows 8, who needs it. I am still a windows person, but will stick wth windows 7 for now until they can show me MS has added something of value to the pot. Windows 8, is nothing but eye candy and an updated money maker.

Dot Matrix    7,438

and All metro is, is a copy of IOS or android start screens, which I really dont care for.

What?

• Like 5

efjay    147

and All metro is, is a copy of IOS or android start screens,

Absolutely spot on! /S

redvamp128    321

No, I would disagree-- All metro is-- just the desktop being replaced by a big Vista or Windows 7 Sidebar

But also looks just like this

Wiki-

Sidebar originated in a Microsoft Research project called Sideshow (not to be confused with Windows SideShow.) It was developed in the summer of 2000, and was used internally at Microsoft. It had many similarities to current desktop gadget software, including a clock, traffic reports, and IM integration.

64384f.jpg

Now before you go saying no way-- but picture this-- take off the desktop-- turn it to the side -- the quick launch is where your applications go (things you install) Just a thought ... though I am sure most will say no comparison....applications gathering data from websites... weather gathered from web... mail reporting in... messenger reporting in... all that is missing is a Charm Bar Media player.....stock price reports... with that you could also add a link to the control panel as well.... but I am like most that think we should wait until final beta to see if we think it is a flop or not-- look at how longhorn turned out..... We thought it would be good but turned into vista... a lot of people said Windows 7 would flop but it did not..... That and you say a copy, however, What version of IOS or Android were out in 2000? The sign in screen you say is a copy-- looks too much like that of Neptune concept images-- the original idea was a picture then move to a corner and the sign in pops up... which was a replacement for the ctl-alt-del method to sign in or being presented with a Username and Password login already on the screen (which the reason for this change is perceived danger of screen burn)

main point-- to consider--

Charm Bar= Sidebar Replacing desktop... to tell you the truth-- even Metro -- looks like early builds of Neptune (Whistler) XP before they went for the toy look...you know the color choices and the fonts.