• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Five Reasons why Windows 8 will be dead on arrival

Coi    44

Looking over Windows 8,

How did you do that? Please let me see your crystal ball!

it appears it is nothing but an updated Windows 7 with metro added in.

Just like Windows 7 is Vista with a thicker taskbar.

Let's just forget about storage spaces, settings saved on the cloud, Aero Lite, secure boot, better security (integrated MSE), improved multi-monitor support (taskbars etc), ISO mounting, improved Copy / Move dialog, Reset and Refresh, another startup / shutdown time improvement, improved memory usage (-100 MB), improved networking stack ... (when still talking about the Developer Preview).

and All metro is, is a copy of IOS or android start screens,

No.

so why update, if it doesnt have any other important featrures.

Because it's still in Developer Preview. (djeez how many times do I have to repeat this?)

And watch the cost of this update, probably try to sell as a new OS, but then ask you to use there store adn make money that way. If they want tyou to do that, take that into consideration and cut the cost accordingly for what they feel they will make on the back end, (read: blablablablabla) AS APPLE DOES. heck there updates are free.

I don't recall paying for Windows Update to get weekly updates. Neither for the service packs, what can you say about that?

Windows 8, is nothing but eye candy and an updated money maker.

I agree, companies really don't need to make money, they'll just work hard, spend millions on development and finally release it for free.

It's still ironic you said 'eye candy and money maker' after saying:

could not wait anylonger, broke down and bought an IPAD, and just love it.

Thanks for clarifying us the definition of a troll though. Good day and please keep yourself busy with stuff you have at least little knowledge of (I mean, you can't even choose a good font/size..).

• Like 3

Nothing Here    450

Dear god Lo Tec, you come off sounding like a complete moron here, Im sorry you may be a intelligent person, but wow this post...

I will be brief here as I could write a ton for just how wrong you are on almost every point.

1. Windows 8 is a evolution of Windows 7 on the desktop side, same as Vista to 7, there are massive improvements in usability, speed, and, a user's learning curve (ribbon being one example) and there isnt a reason to NOT upgrade from the looks of how they will deploy this the desktop side of things will be taken care of as far as making users comfortable..

2. Your opinion is your own opinion, but lets just ignore the massive audience Metro has persuaded to think its an amazing design, yea lets also ignore all of the designers (who universally hate most of Microsoft's previous work) who love Metro. Your right they are all wrong. Oh, you might also want to ignore that Metro is universally recognized as a Microsoft design, so when someone see's any platform of theirs, Xbox, WP7, or Windows they will instantly know who its from without questions. That's invaluable, whether you hate it or love it, you have to recognize that it was a good decision.

3. Windows 8 applications will benefit from the same enhancements available on the Tile side of things, Microsoft knows the market however, and everything from Windows 7 application wise is going to hit the desktop, its a hard game to convince pre-made apps to switch design's or frameworks, as such Microsoft is aware that developers who want to make an awesome WinRT desktop app will, but marketing to them is a waste of resources, thats why they focus on the Tile end of things, the new market.

4. WOW, just WOW. Please go read on WinRT and ask anyone who develops on .NET, Sliverlight, WPF.... These are the same damn technologies at play in WinRT... Which brings us to your argument for writing for ARM and X86, you realize if you develop to the WinRT spec the only difference is compiling for the arch you want to support. Heck even current Windows 7 apps could be re-compiled with minimal effort is most cases to work on ARM. You know.. I dont even need to talk about the Amazon situation, obvious propaganda is obvious, he defintiely saw how bad Windows 8 would be and applied to Amazon.... thats it!!

5. Again this is utterly wrong, AT&T is a huge supporter of Windows Phone, Nokia is in the Top 3 spot on various carriers with their Windows Phone devices, and your too old comment is so out of place with he market recognition of Window Phone being the smoothest, fastest, most modern OS on the market. Tablets will be a uphill battle but a much easier one than Windows Phone, they can leverage to many things on the Business Level, Education Level, and consumer level that this is a non-issue, the next tablet anyone buys they will instantly consider Windows 8, and lets be honest ICS still has a ways to go to be a consumer ready OS, but we will see what Google brings out this summer.

Dude, I am NOT the person who wrote this. I posted it here only for the laugh value. The person who wrote it IS a moron. The biggest hater of Microsoft. Who will continue to stoop to the lowest levels. To the point of blatant lies. But I still find him hilarious.

But I have learned that to post things I think are hilarious, doesn't go over well here. So I will not do so again in the future.

PGHammer    1,652

No, I would disagree-- All metro is-- just the desktop being replaced by a big Vista or Windows 7 Sidebar

But also looks just like this

Wiki-

64384f.jpg

Now before you go saying no way-- but picture this-- take off the desktop-- turn it to the side -- the quick launch is where your applications go (things you install) Just a thought ... though I am sure most will say no comparison....applications gathering data from websites... weather gathered from web... mail reporting in... messenger reporting in... all that is missing is a Charm Bar Media player.....stock price reports... with that you could also add a link to the control panel as well.... but I am like most that think we should wait until final beta to see if we think it is a flop or not-- look at how longhorn turned out..... We thought it would be good but turned into vista... a lot of people said Windows 7 would flop but it did not..... That and you say a copy, however, What version of IOS or Android were out in 2000? The sign in screen you say is a copy-- looks too much like that of Neptune concept images-- the original idea was a picture then move to a corner and the sign in pops up... which was a replacement for the ctl-alt-del method to sign in or being presented with a Username and Password login already on the screen (which the reason for this change is perceived danger of screen burn)

main point-- to consider--

Charm Bar= Sidebar Replacing desktop... to tell you the truth-- even Metro -- looks like early builds of Neptune (Whistler) XP before they went for the toy look...you know the color choices and the fonts.

What you have labeled as *Sideshow* later grew to become Sidebar, and appeared in Longhorn (the predecessor to Vista) - many MANY third-party clones of it abound. (The most well-known of which is from Brad Wardell and Stardock.)

redvamp128    321

What you have labeled as *Sideshow* later grew to become Sidebar, and appeared in Longhorn (the predecessor to Vista) - many MANY third-party clones of it abound. (The most well-known of which is from Brad Wardell and Stardock.)

You must have read my other post-- about Windows 8

http://www.neowin.ne...t__p__594661508

To quote myself--

What do you mean-- ? I thought all the fuss was when all the icons moved from the desktop to the start menu (Windows 3.x to Windows 95) , wait now the start menu is the desktop and my icons are back. Oh look you added the functionality I used to have on XP back in 2000 with sideshow to show me my websites, stock prices, and my weather... neat (being sarcastic here a bit) .... but I guess all ideas do come full circle in time.s I

And yes I ran it -- when it was on Microsoft Research....

+deinabog    28

These doom-and-gloom articles never stop coming whenever a new version of Windows looms on the horizon. Windows 8 will be successful because it will come preinstalled on laptops, desktops, and tablets. Since it will also integrate Xbox Live that means being able to play games across the entire technological ecosystem. That alone has my interest (though I'll be gaming on my PC).

• Like 2

patseguin    1,325

I just can't for the life of me think of why they are going with this flat ugly looking thing called Metro. Seems like a step back about 20 years.

• Like 1

FalseAgent    24

I hope Steam does a Metro Version of their interface..that would be awsome for my gaming PC.

Store-Mockup-v0a.jpg;pv5c93205e873695af

Home-Mockup-v1a.jpg;pv160e9ca4076f2d44

Home-with-AppBar-Mockup-v1a.jpg;pva9f5306bbe1c6d13

Library-Game-v1a.jpg;pvcac5c9020faa823f

Store-Product-mockup-v1a.jpg;pva9e68012f4cb9493

Community-Mockup-v1a.jpg;pv5cb9862c7bd49aa1

These are just mockups, but man, screw all those out there who say 'OMGEEE METRO SUCKS'. Personally, I am SOLD!!!

(yes, even on the desktop)

• Like 1

rfirth    741

These are just mockups, but man, screw all those out there who say 'OMGEEE METRO SUCKS'. Personally, I am SOLD!!!

Yep, it's going to be awesome. But we need apps before the start screen becomes useful. Then things will start to fall into place.

+Audioboxer    2,876

Metro is the only reason I need... Looks soo ugly.

FalseAgent    24

Yep, it's going to be awesome. But we need apps before the start screen becomes useful. Then things will start to fall into place.

Fall into place...EXACTLY! That's the beauty of Windows 8 and even Windows Phone. The more stuff you install, the richer the system becomes. Just imagine DropBox hooking into the File Picker in Windows 8 - or a Twitter or FB app hooking into the Share charm - imagine the kind of info the start screen can present you with the moment you turn on your PC; the start screen can only become richer the more apps you install.

There is just nothing like this in Windows 7, and people don't understand that. This is the future of computing! A whole new generation of connected apps are coming to Windows, the kind of apps only we could only dream of in Windows 7. People bashing Metro probably just don't understand what Microsoft is unto here. Instead, all people are talking about is how Metro is a "bunch of square boxes". Come on guys, stop being so superficial, what we see is just the surface.

Like it or not, this is absolutely the direction for Windows. The transition is going to be painful, but at the end, I think it will all be totally worth it.

EDIT: epic 100th post :D

• Like 1

+Ryster    797

Metro is the only reason I need... Looks soo ugly.

Yeah, squares and rectangles are soooo ugly. That makes your avatar hideous!

• Like 1

fenderMarky    35

I read the same thing for xp, vista (wich is more used than osx), and windows 7. I read also the same thing for xbox, .net ect...

• Like 3

Calum    820

windows 8 is just pure poop - sod supporting it in a working buiness enviorment.

Why? You have no idea how well or how badly it may work in a business environment. You also have no idea whether Microsoft will offer something separate for businesses, if the Metro experience doesn't happen to work well for them. Your post assumes to much. Wait and see ;)

• Like 3

.Neo    1,834

In my eyes the biggest issue with Windows 8 is the fact you now have to worry about two operating systems in one. You'll have to deal with one set of apps that will run inside Metro and the other set still running in the classic desktop environment. I can see this become a big confusing mess for people who aren't as tech savvy as most are here. Especially if you even have two different versions of the same app (Internet Explorer for example). I also wonder to what degree third-party developers can be bothered to even convert their apps to Metro instead of just sticking to the traditional desktop. If they want support older Windows versions too they either have to develop and maintain two distinct different apps (Metro and classic) or just give Metro the finger.

theclueless    17

i still dont get why people are passing judgment on a consumer preview

.Neo    1,834

i still dont get why people are passing judgment on a consumer preview

You actually think the finalized product will be something radically different?

• Like 2

theclueless    17

You actually think the finalized product will be something radically different?

no, but different enough to make a difference. anyone remember the bashing on windows whistler?

notuptome2004    175

In my eyes the biggest issue with Windows 8 is the fact you now have to worry about two operating systems in one. You'll have to deal with one set of apps that will run inside Metro and the other set still running in the classic desktop environment. I can see this become a big confusing mess for people who aren't as tech savvy as most are here. Especially if you even have two different versions of the same app (Internet Explorer for example). I also wonder to what degree third-party developers can be bothered to even convert their apps to Metro instead of just sticking to the traditional desktop. If they want support older Windows versions too they either have to develop and maintain two distinct different apps (Metro and classic) or just give Metro the finger.

ummm Windows 8 is 1 operating system not 2 Windows Metro well the start screen is intergrated at a core level it is windows it is not a layer of software on top of windows it is windows shell it is . Windows start screen and windows desktop are of 1 operating system .

bjoswald    210

99% of this hatred is aimed at the Metrosexual UI. Underneath that, it's the same Windows we know and love. Microsoft just needed a new coat of paint on it (for some reason). I guess they're taking a page out of Apple's book by spreading the OS across all devices at once.

Astra.Xtreme    2,872

no, but different enough to make a difference. anyone remember the bashing on windows whistler?

Not much has changed from the Dev Preview to the Customer Preview, so it's a pretty sure bet that we will see even less changed for the RC and final builds.

If Win 8 is really going to be released this year, there is almost zero time for feature development, and only time to test.

hagjohn    2,249

Yawn... some of you bitch too much. At least wait till you see somewhat of a final product before you decide.

satukoro    1,350

Many of you won't upgrade to Windows 8 simply because the more efficient start menu. The improved performance alone is enough to get me to update.

• Like 3

xWhiplash    349

What company will spend millions developing a fully functional (desktop) metro-style application that will only work on ONE operating system (two if you can run it on Windows 7)? As far as I know, Windows XP still has over 40% market share. Windows 8 (desktop) will not go above that for at least a couple of years probably.

To the people that are saying Apple is doing the same thing. No, they are not. They are doing something similar, but they are actually making it look GOOD. They have more than one color for the "tile", they only show icons, and they still have the dock active and usable BY DEFAULT.

As somebody mentioned before, you can upgrade somebody from Windows 95 to Windows 7 and only need to walk them through a little bit. The start button is still at the bottom left on all Windows versions, their clock is still on the bottom right. When somebody gets a Windows 8 desktop computer, how well do you think they will handle it?

Don't get me wrong, metro is VERY nice in the tablet and phone market.......but it should have stayed there. We really will not have decent metro applications for a while with Windows XP, Vista, and 7 adding up to 90% of the Windows Desktop market.

Until the last year or two, and even today to some extent, games are still developed for DirectX 9 to work with Windows XP.

Any person running a business would not be developing a fully functional metro application.

• We still do not know if it will be a success or not
  • If they focus thousands and thousands of dollars, they are only targeting one operating system (two if Windows 7 can run metro apps which I doubt), which might end up being a failure
  • More money? Develop for Windows XP, Vista, 7, AND 8 (because it can still run desktop applications).

This is why I think the metro idea will be a dud. Yeah we will get a few weather applications, some messenger metro versions, and more little things. But do you honestly see big, BIG developers creating fully functional metro applications at least for several years? I do not.

• Like 1

Dot Matrix    7,438

I read the same thing for xp, vista (wich is more used than osx), and windows 7. I read also the same thing for xbox, .net ect...

The very same author of this nonsense has an article on PC World saying the very same thing about Windows 7. The guy's a moron.

Seizure1990    252

The very same author of this nonsense has an article on PC World saying the very same thing about Windows 7. The guy's a moron.

Nope, he's a genius. Do it for every OS that comes out, and then gloat about being right when it finally happens. :p

• Like 1