The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo [2011]

the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-poster.jpg

Excellent casting and directing, the movie is elevated by a great script and some remarkable performances. Brutal and captivating.

Fincher' directing is just exceptional

9.0 out of 10

• 1 month later...

What is it all about ?

About a girl with a dragon tattoo? lol sorry, I haven't read about the synopsis or watch the trailer of the movie either. Guess u can search for it on google though

• 4 weeks later...

I really don't understand why all the buzz around ''The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo''. For 2 hours and 38 mins I've struggled to watch this movie and to find a good reason to add it to my collection but I failed in my battle. I have not read the book, nor seen the original. A movie that requires supplemental reading or research beforehand is absurd.

So I just saw this movie last week. Absolutely fantastic. I love how it's not afraid to be brutally realistic. It's almost refreshing to see a movie with some honesty. I went into the movie not knowing anything about it and was actually surprised to find it was a murder mystery with a twisted plot. One of the best movies I've seen in a while.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought it was funny how he was using a Unibody Macbook but running Tiger! After I said, that I actually Googled the movie name and Macbook and found this post

I thought the Mikael (Daniel Craig)'s dock looked like tiger (2005-2007), and that would fit with an early timestamp on a website dated to 2006 (forgotten details of the site)

having said that, the macbookpro he was using was clearly unibody, and he was using gestures so that would imply hardware from 2008

the iTunes logo in both docks was last used in iTunes 6, so up until around septemper 2006, and the iPhoto was earlier than 07 I'd say, but he was still using the gestures to navigate photos

• 1 month later...

A movie that requires supplemental reading or research beforehand is absurd.

Why would you say that?

I enjoyed the movie, but haven't watched the original film yet for comparison. I'm still not sure why they needed all the 'shock' parts with her and the case worker unless that is a plot point in future films. I plan on reading the books this summer.

^^ The book is better than the film... I watched the original version and it was good.

However watched the US version and turned it off in 5mins. I felt it was a frame to frame copy of the original version in that five minutes.

^^ The book is better than the film... I watched the original version and it was good.

However watched the US version and turned it off in 5mins. I felt it was a frame to frame copy of the original version in that five minutes.

I've got the book, and of course it's more fleshed out than the original movie, but that's expected of any book a movie is based on.

It was a shot-for-shot remake to a certain extent, but they did do some of their own scenes as well.

In all honesty, I preferred the original Swedish movie, I am getting fed up of Hollywood's Americanisation of foreign films when they do a remake, it loses a lot in translation.

Why would you say that?

I enjoyed the movie, but haven't watched the original film yet for comparison. I'm still not sure why they needed all the 'shock' parts with her and the case worker unless that is a plot point in future films. I plan on reading the books this summer.

The so called "shock parts" are an integral part of the Lisbeth character. You REALLY need to read the books. Never watch any movie "based on a book" before reading the book.

I am on to the third book now. And about to watch the second film. The original version of the 'girl who played with Fire' I hope it's good as the book. Than hey the books are always better

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know that I am in the minority on this one but I still prefer the original Swedish version over this one. David Fincher still did a great job but he didn't really make it his own and the two are so similar that I found the only benefit to be not having to read subtitles and the much improved cinematography. Overall though (and I admit that I may be bias just for seeing the Swedish one first) but I enjoyed Noomi Repace far more.

I'll have to give it to Fincher actually, they were very similar and his production quality (and soundtrack) was better. I agree on Noomi though and i'm a sucker for subtitles so you really can't go wrong with either.

• 2 months later...

European version of this film was rather good. The American version was horrible in my opinion.

• 2 months later...

American version was good in my opinion, although I haven't watched European version yet and haven't read a book yet. My wife read it and said that there were many differences in the plot.