Ad update on Main

We have updated the header and placement for ads, guests will sometimes see a 970x250 and those ads are of high quality and gives Neowin a better revenue so we can continue to improve services.

Logged in members do not see the large ads, they will only see 728x90 sized ads.

Additionally we will be updating the header soon to include member avatars on the same row as the Neowin logo. Also we need the space for switching between another site I plan to launch sometime soon (Neogamr) which will focus solely on gaming news.

The forums will also be updated over the weekend, and will (if my code skillz allow it) also include the member avatar in the header.

I know not everyone likes ads, but it's a fact of life that we need them to operate the site, so please hold off commenting about it, at least out of a little respect.

And as always I appreciate your support of the site, it means a lot to us.

Neogamr sounds cool. A lot of people would be interested. But a cool idea would be to have one account (if possible) for both websites. The profile data, and friends would show up on my Neogamr profile too.

And looking forward to the interface changes here,

Also you can add what OS you're running into your profile now. Neat!

Very nice. I did that, and at the same time changed my photo using a URL. Now, it seems I can't change my photo back to something uploaded from my PC.

Edit: Not sure how it happened, but eventually the photo change stuck. Just took several minutes.

Whilst I do appreciate the need for ads to help with the cost of running this site which we all and I love, but I have to say I'm not too keen with the ad bar at the top, looks a little out of place to me!

I promise I click per day to help running the site!

Or you can become a subscriber to support the site :D

• 4 weeks later...

I know not everyone likes ads, but it's a fact of life that we need them to operate the site, so please hold off commenting about it, at least out of a little respect.

I don't have complaints, but if I may respectfully ask a question here: would allowing the ad to be collapsed be completely out of the question here?

Just curious, as it seems like it would do the site better for both the readers and the folks in charge here. This way, the reader could see the ad, then choose to collapse it, instead of resorting to 3rd party tools to block the ad entirely. Provided it didn't go against the agreement you guys have set up, bringing in this new revenue of course.

Just a thought, as you know I love you guys. :)