OS X Mountain Lion Discussion

You can still use RSS in Mail.

You can? I don't see it anywhere in ML Mail here, and Dan Frakes seems to agree.

Selecting the icon will apply the change automatically, this is the part that bugs me.

You can pretty safely assume that clicking something in System Preferences will change something. Just because the Startup Disk control looks different from other controls doesn't mean that shouldn't still apply. If anything, it's just being consistent, not inconsistent.

yeah and with almost everyone saying the preview 1 is already very stable and actually good for a primary OS, this is very tempting hehe

It is only good in English. I tried it in French and, while being stable, all the text strings were misplaced and cut.

My bad. I thought it was only removed from Safari but still in Mail.

I actually use RSS in Mail. Shame that they removed it in both apps. :/

Kind of, it's not really the role of either application though. They both 'kinda' suited RSS but it was neither's role. It makes sense to keep each app's functionality quite narrow and for the advanced users using the more niche things direct them to the App Store.

I think that's a common theme in Mountain Lion. Silo'ing the apps functionality to what it really aught to be. For example Reminders split from Calendar and Notes split from Mail. Hopefully the same happens with iTunes in due course.

The same is true in the other direction also, where there is duplicate functionality (for example Mac App Store + Software Update) they seem to be merging bits and bobs.

My bad. I thought it was only removed from Safari but still in Mail.

I actually use RSS in Mail. Shame that they removed it in both apps. :/

no problem, I hate when my os is in French. From montreal as well :)

Kind of, it's not really the role of either application though. They both 'kinda' suited RSS but it was neither's role. It makes sense to keep each app's functionality quite narrow and for the advanced users using the more niche things direct them to the App Store.

I think that's a common theme in Mountain Lion. Silo'ing the apps functionality to what it really aught to be. For example Reminders split from Calendar and Notes split from Mail. Hopefully the same happens with iTunes in due course.

The same is true in the other direction also, where there is duplicate functionality (for example Mac App Store + Software Update) they seem to be merging bits and bobs.

Using the same mentality, I'd really like to see iTunes changed to just playing music and, at the most, buying music. I'd rather have separate apps for things like podcasts, video playback, iPhone data syncing, etc. It would likely make iTunes a lot leaner than it currently is.

If anything, it's just being consistent

Consistent with what ?

Just to add to my frustration against this design, if you click on the lock in the bottom left corner of the window, it removes the selection color surrounding the system selected, it?s hard to see but the selected system is the opaque one and the other ones are a little bit faded out. But then again, the text below the system selected is also faded out. It does not even spore the design from when you select an icon anywhere in the Finder. It?s as if they forgot to go in this pane since the day it was done.

A drop down menu would really save the day with this pane. Or at least it could be like selecting an avatar for a profile, when it?s selected, you can only see this one.

Finally, they?re mixing up the terms "hard drive" and "system". While I agree this is one system per hard drive partition, they should have icons of the version of Mac OS X or Windows instead of displaying icons of a hard drive.

• Like 1

It is only good in English. I tried it in French and, while being stable, all the text strings were misplaced and cut.

It's not surprising, I know at my work we do the translation work at the every end when we expect most of the content to be final. Before that the developers are free to put in their own translations or just leave the string in English

It's not surprising, I know at my work we do the translation work at the every end when we expect most of the content to be final. Before that the developers are free to put in their own translations or just leave the string in English

Indeed, it?s not worth translating everything when you?re not sure about the UI and features of your application yet.

By the way, I?m adding something to my Mountain Lion?s wish list :

- New color picker

- New font picker

No, you don?t need to restart for the change to be applied. You need to restart if you want to go in another OS.

Selecting the icon will apply the change automatically, this is the part that bugs me.

Clicking a checkbox in System Preferences will apply a change automatically too...

tried it and gota say its not that different,

only issue i have is it wont trust my "untrusted certificate" in exchange, no matter what, even when set it to"always trust" it stays at default(untrusted)

That's how it has worked ever since System 7. If you've been using Macs for a long time it's just natural by now.

I?ve been using them since Mac OS X 10.4 and I always got confused when I had to change my startup disk.

They have fixed a bunch of other places that I hated with Leopard and Lion. This one remains, and it hasn?t been retouched since so much time that it doesn?t fit anymore, really.

I?m glad that they added back the previous and next months in Calendar in the Months view. This one was a major regression in Lion?s iCal.

More requests that I would love to see :

- Regular scrolling by default for people with mice

- Support for WiFi 802.11ac but I know this is coming

It?s a checkbox, not a Finder icon.

Who cares? The principle is the the same. You seem to be just about the only one to have an issue with the Startup Disk preference pane so apparently it doesn't require imminent fixing. People explained to you how it works, now you know too. Problem solved. Beyond that it fits just fine: The highlighted system is the default startup one, couldn't be simpler really. I mean, it says so right there: "Select the system you want to use to start up your computer". What isn't there to understand?

You have a tendency to act as if because you think something needs to be different it's a given fact that it should be different.

I am actually running Safari 5.2 on Lion and works like a charm

Me too. It's a little bit buggy but I really like the UI refinements they have made. Looks very much like the iPad version.

You have a tendency to act as if because you think something needs to be different it's a given fact that it should be different.

I have a tendency to look for uniformity. If at least the selection color was as rounded as what it is in the Finder?

Anyways. It?s not worth arguing about something that we have no power over. If Apple finally touches this pane for the first time in 8 years, I?ll be happy.

• Like 1

Something I?ve been looking for since a few years : Tabbed Finder.

I know there?s a 3rd-party solution, it would be nice if OS X came out by default with this.

Also, Aero Snap features from Windows 7 could be a great touch, because window sizes are horrible to manage in OS X. You cannot tile or cascade them and you cannot make them take the whole screen. With full-screen and resize from everywhere, things are better in Lion, but it could use some more tweaking. I?m using BetterTouch Tools to have Aero Snap and I couldn?t stand OS X without it.

Something I?ve been looking for since a few years : Tabbed Finder.

I know there?s a 3rd-party solution, it would be nice if OS X came out by default with this.

Also, Aero Snap features from Windows 7 could be a great touch, because window sizes are horrible to manage in OS X. You cannot tile or cascade them and you cannot make them take the whole screen. With full-screen and resize from everywhere, things are better in Lion, but it could use some more tweaking. I?m using BetterTouch Tools to have Aero Snap and I couldn?t stand OS X without it.

check out HyperDock, it adds Aero Snap and a bunch of other useful features

and for the tabbed finder I'm pretty sure you're thinking of TotalFinder which is an amazing plugin for osx and I also really wish some of it's functionality would be incorporated into osx

I really just don't see the appeal to a tabbed Finder in my workflow, but maybe I just do things completely differently from most people. Usually Finder actions are very brief for me. I'll either find a file/folder or do some quick operations to manage my files, but after that the windows I opened are immediately closed. I don't ever accrue Finder windows like I accrue tabs in Safari, so there's no reason that I see to save space by adding tabs.

• Like 1

I really just don't see the appeal to a tabbed Finder in my workflow, but maybe I just do things completely differently from most people. Usually Finder actions are very brief for me. I'll either find a file/folder or do some quick operations to manage my files, but after that the windows I opened are immediately closed. I don't ever accrue Finder windows like I accrue tabs in Safari, so there's no reason that I see to save space by adding tabs.

you're correct, it all depends on what you need to be doing, I know I've had up to 7 tabs open at once in the finder, and dragging files through tabs is much cleaner and easier then going through the screen clutter to find which window you want to drag the file too IMO

Same here.

Does finder finally remmember size of window after system restart? Because Lion can't for example remmember size and settings in application window etc.

It does for me. But on my previous installation I did have issues with the Macintosh HD where only it wouldn't save my preferences. :/