OS X Mountain Lion Discussion

Actually in Lion, you can add GTalk, XMPP/jabber already, iChat account is using the old AOL servers, so it's AIM, and not a "own IM network".

What is missing really is just MSN network...

Not enough to warrant an upgrade from Windows 7 if you don't plan on using Metro on a computer without touch screen, something I can imagine.

iChat can already do all of those things...

I know, I was talking about iMessage, does it connect to 3rd party services? I have never bothered to use it on my iPad. :p

I know, I was talking about iMessage, does it connect to 3rd party services? I have never bothered to use it on my iPad. :p

iMessage = no (not yet at least ?)

Messages = yes (YIM, Jabber (hence, FB, too), iChat (that means AIM and ICQ, too), some other(s) I missed...)

Glassed Silver:mac

iMessage = no (not yet at least ?)

Messages = yes (YIM, Jabber (hence, FB, too), iChat (that means AIM and ICQ, too), some other(s) I missed...)

I don't think the iOS version does. The OS X version of Messages supports everything iCal did.

Oh cool then, my impression was Messages is same as iMessage which I thought was Apple's BBM. :/

Oh cool then, my impression was Messages is same as iMessage which I thought was Apple's BBM. :/

It is, just with iChat tacked to it, too.

@.Neo: You mean "iChat" (just in case anyone started wondering...)

See that's just the Windows fanboy in you talking? Don't worry though, I won't take it seriously.

I think it's best if we both stop arguing then, because I don't take you seriously either.

I think it's best if we both stop arguing then, because I don't take you seriously either.

Would be great if you stopped replying to me then, save us both the trouble. (Y)

I installed Lion today to try the Messages app as I use iMessage all the time on my iPad and iPhone. As some of you may have read before when I upgraded to Lion originally I had tons of problems. Stuttering video, UI freezing, external display issues. So much stuff just didn't work correctly that eventually I went back to Snow Leopard. I was on 10.7.0 and later 10.7.1 before I went back to Snow Leopard.

So today I reinstalled straight to 10.7.4 10.7.3 via the App Store and all the issues I had are fixed. Everything works great now, no stuttering video no external display problems. I'm really impressed with Lion now. Everything seems a lot smoother and by that I mean the transitions in to things. Before activating mission control was very jittery now it's really smooth.

I'm quite impressed with Messages it works really great I look forward to 10.8.

So today I reinstalled straight to 10.7.4 via the App Store [?]

You're from the future, I knew it but people kept telling me I'm crazy! :laugh: Can't you skip a little bit further and fetch us the OS X Mountain Lion GM, pretty please?

• Like 1

Clearly you didn't understood what I meant before, I'll try to be more clear this time: At this point there's little new in Windows 8 that's of interest to people who use a desktop or notebook PC without touch screen.

There are actually all these "new" ML features coming to Win8 as well. I guess it's fair to say that people that use non-touch PCs have plenty to look forward to.

Now having said that without comparing the actual feature list, let me try and compare them...

iCloud = Skydrive

Messages = Messages (not sure of the actual Win8 name :p)

Reminders/Calendar = Calendar

Notes = OneNote

Notification Center = LiveTiles (there are differences but pretty much same)

Share Sheet/Twitter = Contracts (more flexible...if devs use it wisely)

Game Center = Xbox Live (Game center still looks like some 6mo old designed it though, hopefully they remove that ugly wooden look)

AirPlay mirroring = DLNA (I guess AirPlay has more mindshare)

Gatekeeper = Poor man's Windows Defender or if you use an ARM PC, then it's most restricted form of Gatekeeper.

Apart from that, additional known features of Windows 8...

- Picture Password

- Bunch of improvements including Ribbon in WinExplorer.

- Refresh/Reset

You're from the future, I knew it but people told me I'm crazy! :laugh:

Woops I meant 10.7.3 :p

Can't you skip a little bit further and fetch us the OS X Mountain Lion GM, pretty please?

I wish I could but you see my flux capacitor needs more fuel rods!

This.

OS X is a BIG brand name... I don't think they'll easily just change it from the pace we're now heading...

My guess is that Apple is already working on post OS X-plans, might consider dropping the OS X name, then again...

I don't know whether they will actually drop that.

I see how they didn't worry a lot about the "Mac" in "Mac OS X" so it's definitely something to consider, but I guess it won't happen just this soon.

A couple of years are still left in "OS X" I guess until they will make the "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT".

Possibily more GUI releated, however I hardly see too many possibilities to improve OS X's GUI.

But that's just me dumbwing, not someone slightly more genius at Apple like Jonny Ive or the actual OS designers who get paid good money to really break their heads over this. :p

That's exactly what I'm on.

But I think it's unrealistic it will be this way, so... way to really blow my mind, Apple, with new announcements.

I remember seeing the Panther video back then (that's when I started caring about Macs) and I was thrilled to no end as a Windows user...

I'd like to get that kick in my life again from a GUI... That was just totally awesome and it gave me one of my biggest nerdgasms of my life....

Damn, nerdgasms are awesome... I need a REAL GOOD one again! :p

Apple like Microsoft is in the same boat, there is only so much you can do to push the desktop UI experience and we are reaching the end. When you look at the traditional desktop model and the mobile table UI model they are quite drastic in how info it displayed. Both Microsoft and Apple are now trying to push the hybrid model. I think the next Big thing for Apple and even Microsoft is finding the perfect bridge between a desktop and mobile interface.

There are actually all these "new" ML features coming to Win8 as well. I guess it's fair to say that people that use non-touch PCs have plenty to look forward to.

Now having said that without comparing the actual feature list, let me try and compare them...

List snipped

Most of those are packed into Metro though aren't they? And to be honest I wouldn't upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion (bit long in the tooth isn't it?) if it was priced anything higher than ?24. The price is okay for what it is; nothing more, nothing less. Windows 8 however will most likely cost a whole lot more than that. I know the whole "Microsoft only makes software" deal, but still.

Fact of the matter is I feel that both Apple and Microsoft don't really seem to know what to do with their desktop operating systems anymore. Both of them are taking all these features that existed in one way or another long before 2011-2012, repackage them in some flashy new interface, call it a night and pretend to the public they did something new and revolutionary.

I mean, you're actually referring to Messages, Calendar, OneNote, LiveTiles, Contacts and Ribbon in the Explorer as "plenty to look forward to". I guess what these companies tried to achieve worked. :/

Anyone know how to fix the Linkinus and Adium issue in 10.8? I believe someone did (called bubzie?), but I can't seem to find a link to their blog post.

I wish I could but you see my flux capacitor needs more fuel rods!

When is the next flight to Teheran? I heard they're on sale there!

Apple like Microsoft is in the same boat, there is only so much you can do to push the desktop UI experience and we are reaching the end. When you look at the traditional desktop model and the mobile table UI model they are quite drastic in how info it displayed. Both Microsoft and Apple are now trying to push the hybrid model. I think the next Big thing for Apple and even Microsoft is finding the perfect bridge between a desktop and mobile interface.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who realizes this.

Share Sheet/Twitter = Contracts (more flexible...if devs use it wisely)

Contracts are definitely better than the non-extensible Share system Apple has come up with in iOS and now OS X. I honestly wish Apple would just shamelessly rip it.

AirPlay mirroring = DLNA (I guess AirPlay has more mindshare)

Not sure these are directly comparable. Yes, both do media streaming, but as far as I can tell, DLNA display mirroring isn't widely available. The closest counterpart I can find is Intel's WiDi, but that's not compatible with DLNA.

Gatekeeper = Poor man's Windows Defender or if you use an ARM PC, then it's most restricted form of Gatekeeper.

Gatekeeper and Windows Defender are different. OS X already has silent malware detection (similar to Defender), but that's a blacklist. Gatekeeper is whitelist approach but without the restrictions of the App Store.

Most of those are packed into Metro though aren't they? And to be honest I wouldn't upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion (bit long in the tooth isn't it?) if it was priced anything higher than ?24. The price is okay for what it is; nothing more, nothing less. Windows 8 however will most likely cost a whole lot more than that. I know the whole "Microsoft only makes software" deal, but still.

Fact of the matter is I feel that both Apple and Microsoft don't really seem to know what to do with their desktop operating systems anymore. Both of them are taking all these features that existed in one way or another long before 2011-2012, repackage them in some flashy new interface, call it a night and pretend to the public they did something new and revolutionary.

I mean, you're actually referring to Messages, Calendar, OneNote, LiveTiles, Contacts and Ribbon in the Explorer as "plenty to look forward to". I guess what these companies tried to achieve worked. :/

They are equally accessible to everyone even if they are metro apps. I said plenty to look forward to wrt your comments about nothing major for non-touch users. If Win7 was a precedent, then people will have a chance to get Win7 for $50 (even if for a limited time). I guess even at the upgrade $99 price, it is still a fair price for other less glamorous improvements in Wifi, Storage, Power consumption etc. This is strictly personal opinion though, YMMV (and I get it via MSDN :p).

Not sure these are directly comparable. Yes, both do media streaming, but as far as I can tell, DLNA display mirroring isn't widely available. The closest counterpart I can find is Intel's WiDi, but that's not compatible with DLNA.

Gatekeeper and Windows Defender are different. OS X already has silent malware detection (similar to Defender), but that's a blacklist. Gatekeeper is whitelist approach but without the restrictions of the App Store.

I have seen Samsung TVs (my brother has one) that are somewhat DLNA compatible. As I said, AirPlay has more mindshare and probably prominent marketing. Microsoft missed an opportunity to bring true DLNA to Xbox (currently limited to Xbox MCE). I think PS3 is also a DLNA player (don't have one to verify).

I see Gatekeeper and Defender as the same thing especially in WOA (more restrictive though).

I have seen Samsung TVs (my brother has one) that are somewhat DLNA compatible. As I said, AirPlay has more mindshare and probably prominent marketing. Microsoft missed an opportunity to bring true DLNA to Xbox (currently limited to Xbox MCE). I think PS3 is also a DLNA player (don't have one to verify).

DLNA compatibility isn't really what I'm talking about, though. AirPlay Mirroring allows me to project my Mac's screen wirelessly to an Apple TV, just as if I were using an HDMI or VGA cable. I don't see where DLNA has been applied like that.

DLNA compatibility isn't really what I'm talking about, though. AirPlay Mirroring allows me to project my Mac's screen wirelessly to an Apple TV, just as if I were using an HDMI or VGA cable. I don't see where DLNA has been applied like that.

Oh ok, I haven't used AirPlay at all. I have only seen it being demoed to play video/music over to other devices, which DLNA does just fine.

• Like 1

There's an article on Gizmodo that reports that Apple might only allow apps to be installed in the future on OS X from the App Store. It might be just a rumour, or even false, but I wouldn't be surprised if they go through with this. They are doing it on iOS anyway.

http://gizmodo.com/5...ions-gatekeeper

There's an article on Gizmodo that reports that Apple might only allow apps to be installed in the future on OS X from the App Store. It might be just a rumour, or even false, but I wouldn't be surprised if they go through with this. They are doing it on iOS anyway.

http://gizmodo.com/5...ions-gatekeeper

I doubt that will ever happen, but if it does, I am finished with OS X. Desktop computers are not portable devices and shouldn't be treated as such.

Notes = OneNote

Well, OneNote is far more functional, both on a computer and mobile, than Apple's Notes app so I don't think they can be compared. Notes are more like Notepad from Windows, but with list of notes, syncing and theoretically nicer UI.

And about UI - I don't like that they are adding this custom UIs. I liked that in OS X almost all apps had consistent and similar UI. Now Apple destroys it, first with iCal, now with Notes and Reminders :(

Hopefully they fix the graphics issue I have with Lion in 10.8 :(

They fixed it in Snow Leopard, then released Lion and broke it again!

Other than that, I like that they are closing the gap between OS X and iOS :D