OS X Mountain Lion Discussion

Fact of the matter is I feel that both Apple and Microsoft don't really seem to know what to do with their desktop operating systems anymore. Both of them are taking all these features that existed in one way or another long before 2011-2012, repackage them in some flashy new interface, call it a night and pretend to the public they did something new and revolutionary.

I think we?re slowly coming to perfection. A LOT of companies do it with their software today. They realize how bad they implemented their features or how bad their interfaces are and they redo them all from scratch, but with the same features, more or less.

I don?t see a lot of potential for electronics and software past 2020. If we take the best of the best right now, what more can we do, really, except refine it ? We have realized that 3D interfaces may not be well suited in the end, and tactile interfaces are only good for horizontal screens. A pair of goggles with a computer inside maybe ? :huh:

So far from what I have seen, I don't think this would cause Windows team to lose any sleep.

Its just an an upgrade, despite what many analysts are calling it, such as those at Bloomberg. Calling it 'Apple's answer to Windows 8'.

It certainly is not.

Apple aren't calling it their answer to Windows 8, so why listen to Bloomberg and other absolute idiots who get paid to talk crap?

However ... would really love to point out, that Windows 8 is no major new release either. It's also just an upgrade, with much of Windows 7 still sat there inside. It's a rare event when an OS is started from scratch. A VERY rare event. Neither MS or Apple have released a major new refresh in a long long time. And neither will.

Hopefully they fix the graphics issue I have with Lion in 10.8 :(

They fixed it in Snow Leopard, then released Lion and broke it again!

Other than that, I like that they are closing the gap between OS X and iOS :D

You mean 10.7 right? 10.8 is Mountain Lion :D Dunno what you mean tho, what graphics issues? I haven't had a single problem with Lion since starting using it on day 1.

Well, OneNote is far more functional, both on a computer and mobile, than Apple's Notes app so I don't think they can be compared. Notes are more like Notepad from Windows, but with list of notes, syncing and theoretically nicer UI.

And about UI - I don't like that they are adding this custom UIs. I liked that in OS X almost all apps had consistent and similar UI. Now Apple destroys it, first with iCal, now with Notes and Reminders :(

The custom UI's are nice if they're well drawn, and still conform to standards in functionality. It's a little boring to want the whole lot to all just be grey surely? Maybe that's just because I'm a designer ... I like the odd bit of flair :D

There's an article on Gizmodo that reports that Apple might only allow apps to be installed in the future on OS X from the App Store. It might be just a rumour, or even false, but I wouldn't be surprised if they go through with this. They are doing it on iOS anyway.

http://gizmodo.com/5...ions-gatekeeper

I believe this will be an option. Like a 'safeguard' of some kind. So users will be able to switch it on or off. Means that parents can lock non-approved apps from their machine so their children can't flood it with malware etc. This is a good thing if you ask me. It'll never become the standard. As much as Apple want to protect users and sell via the App Store exclusively, they know if they lock it out, they'll lose all of their mid to power users instantly. It's a desktop... not a mobile device. Imagine the amount of awesome developers who'd leave the Mac behind if Apple did that? It'd be akin to when Nintendo refused to move to CD like the others, and they lost all their developers to Sony when the N64 and PS were released.

we're going to see slight changes in the finder window i believe soon, example:

if you copy fairly large file you will notice that a progress bar and a time left will also appear on the icon as well as a window popup.

When is the next flight to Teheran? I heard they're on sale there!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who realizes this.

thank you, i would just hope folks on the windows end could see this as well with the metro interface

You mean 10.7 right? 10.8 is Mountain Lion :D Dunno what you mean tho, what graphics issues? I haven't had a single problem with Lion since starting using it on day 1.[/Quote]

I'm not sure what it is, but if I load Snow Leopard and update all is well, if I load Windows onto it all works well.

When I load Lion however, I get Kernel Panics almost every time I do something relating to graphics (Video, games.. etc.)

The kernel panic shows the that NVIDIA Kext was the cause. All works fine in Snow Leopard and Windows though.

I'm not sure what it is, but if I load Snow Leopard and update all is well, if I load Windows onto it all works well.

When I load Lion however, I get Kernel Panics almost every time I do something relating to graphics (Video, games.. etc.)

The kernel panic shows the that NVIDIA Kext was the cause. All works fine in Snow Leopard and Windows though.

Which graphic card do you have?

There are some "usual suspects" for exactly these issues.

Does your Mac date back to '06/'07-ish?

Glassed Silver:ios

I'm not sure what it is, but if I load Snow Leopard and update all is well, if I load Windows onto it all works well. When I load Lion however, I get Kernel Panics almost every time I do something relating to graphics (Video, games.. etc.) The kernel panic shows the that NVIDIA Kext was the cause. All works fine in Snow Leopard and Windows though.

Are you running a hackintosh? Or are you on genuine Apple hardware?

^ Seems interesting. Maybe common apps & even third party apps could have iCloud support in ML.

Wow? Are they on to removing the Finder, like in iOS ?

The Finder has been playing a lesser and lesser role with every OS X release. I don't see it disappearing entirely for a while though.

I kind of wonder if Apple considers RSS a dead tech since they removed support from Safari.

And to say they released "Safari RSS" back then?

IMO it will remain in Mail though. In Safari, there's nothing like visiting the actual website. In Mail, the way we receive things the same way we receive emails, it?s better.

It got me using it for a specific RSS that tells me when new albums from my favorite artists are out.

I have a RSS widget in Dashboard that shows the latest news, beyond that I never use it. When RSS became popular around the time OS X Tiger was released I thought "yes, this is going to be a great addition!". In the end it just wasn't for me. :laugh:

RSS Is pretty useless :/ All the big sites I follow are on twitter so I created a "news" account that I use to follow all the news sites and I get notified right away (RSS had to be on a set interval which was lame)

I doubt that will ever happen, but if it does, I am finished with OS X. Desktop computers are not portable devices and shouldn't be treated as such.

There is an interesting post regarding this issue over at panic.com.

...Further cementing this feeling is the fact that we were invited to a private briefing at Apple about Gatekeeper a week before today?s announcement. Cabel was told point-blank that Apple has great respect for the third-party app community, and wants to see it continue to grow ? they do not want to poison the well. I think their actions here speak even louder than their words, though...

If Apple sticks to this word, then we wont see a closed OS... i think if they do go down this route there would be a lot of uproar and Apple would be forced to reverse the decision.

For me personally, [almost] everything i buy now is from the AppStore.. i prefer to use it and want to see more apps on there. However there are a lot of apps i use that are not on the store, or apps i didnt want to buy from the AppStore because i would be forced to pay full price for an update, instead of a discount price when buying directly from the developer.

If they are going to close it they need to improve the platform, allow upgrade discounts and so on...

http://www.panic.com/blog/

Just got round to installing. Did an upgrade over 10.7.3 - Quite impressed so far in terms of stability. Lets see how it goes.

Just a small detail but Apple renamed Address Book and iCal to Contacts and Calendar respectively. Just like in iOS. Keepin' it simple, I like that.

I'm glad they've done this, but there's still a massive elephant in the room: iTunes

on iOS devices iTunes Store and Music are different apps, whereas on Mac it's just iTunes. I wish they would sort that mess out, but I'm not sure what the ideal solution would be.

we're going to see slight changes in the finder window i believe soon, example:

if you copy fairly large file you will notice that a progress bar and a time left will also appear on the icon as well as a window popup.

I'd prefer progress bars being shown in Notification center. It's not something you want to keep on your screen all the time when you only need to glance at progresses every so often.

^ Seems interesting. Maybe common apps & even third party apps could have iCloud support in ML.

Mac developers can utilise iCloud already to store data and documents. I wish Apple would update Pages, but still waiting.