OS X Mountain Lion Discussion

I'm sure at least some of you have tried to use hotspot shield on ML and it doesn't work properly. Finally found a working solution by adding a couple of DNS addresses, at least until the devs release an official update with ML support.

It's just a VPN? Just use the built in OS X VPN Networking features.

I made a Terminal theme that closely matches OS X Lion / OS X Mountain Lion's Quick Look window. Nothing special, but I thought I'd share it with you guys. Import the profile by going to Preferences > Settings > In the lower left of the window you'll see a gear symbol, press it > Select "Import..." and select the Pro '12 theme.

Sweet, thanks! Such a small difference but huge improvement! This will certainly make SSH more pleasant. :D

Also, I've actually gone and done the bad thing and installed ML on my non-Apple machine. I was going to get the Mac Mini (already own iMac and MacBook Pro) but decided to try - just for kicks - if it worked. And it does, REALLY well, actually. The only bad thing about this is that I'll completely forget about Windows now, since I don't have it on any computer apart from the lady's. :D

• Like 1

Sweet, thanks! Such a small difference but huge improvement! This will certainly make SSH more pleasant. :D

Heh :) You're welcome, glad you like it.

How do I get my iLife applications in my purchased apps list in the App Store? I have the DVD that came with my early 2011 MBP but I'd rather have the download option.

^ you can't afaik, I have a DVD for my MacBook and it still doesn't appear on the App Store... But my Late 2011 MBP came with the download option...

How do I get my iLife applications in my purchased apps list in the App Store? I have the DVD that came with my early 2011 MBP but I'd rather have the download option.

You can't unless you purchase them again. In that case I'd wait until the next major update. Since all updates come through the App Store anyway it's not a big deal really.

Or iTunes 10.7 :rolleyes:

According to all rumors to date we'll see iTunes 11 in September alongside iOS 6. Which is supposed to be a big overhaul, but we all heard that one before. I believe Apple themselves released a statement about their user base not being interested in Ping and it being axed in the next major release. However, it's highly likely Ping will be replaced by Twitter/Facebook integration. I'm not sure what those roll eyes are about?

I'm not sure what those roll eyes are about?

They are about the fact that we?ve been waiting for a good 5 years for iTunes 11, a version that is

1. completely rewritten in Cocoa on OS X

2. designed to fit in Windows

3. optimized as it should on both OS X and Windows

iTunes is already rewritten in Cocoa. I think Apple did that with version v10.5? Personally I couldn't care less about the Windows version.

iTunes is already rewritten in Cocoa. I think Apple did that with version v10.5? Personally I couldn't care less about the Windows version.

Me either. But I do care about Apple?s reputation because people get extremist about Apple products and when I take one out of my bag or pocket, people do comment positively or negatively. Bad experiences are generally related to iTunes on Windows. If only they could nail the next release and make one of the greatest apps ever...

Oh yeah, me too. It's just that the App Store performs so slowly. It's like visiting a website. :/

Just out of curiosity, is your system on an SSD? I thought the App Store was really laggy too when I was using a very slow HDD (the program was slow and laggy), but after upgrading to an SSD it was much snappier. I might also have less latency with Apple servers.

You'll still get updates if you have them installed through the App Store. But in order to download them from the app store you have to repurchase.

Just out of curiosity, is your system on an SSD? I thought the App Store was really laggy too when I was using a very slow HDD (the program was slow and laggy), but after upgrading to an SSD it was much snappier. I might also have less latency with Apple servers.

I have a regular 7200rpm desktop HDD in my iMac. The App Store app itself launches instantly.

It IS a website. Even the toolbar is.

Yeah I know. The toolbar is Aqua, what makes you say it's a website? :/

Yeah I know. The toolbar is Aqua, what makes you say it's a website? :/

Two things :

1. It has a strange feeling when I click on it, it?s never as responsive as a true Aqua toolbar. It?s slow.

2. When I installed ML prior to its release, my toolbar was in English during the first 3 days, and without any update, it went in French.

The language has clearly been pushed through a web update. Basically, the App Store is a stripped down version of Safari with a Favorites bar, that can install apps.

Two things :

1. It has a strange feeling when I click on it, it?s never as responsive as a true Aqua toolbar. It?s slow.

2. When I installed ML prior to its release, my toolbar was in English during the first 3 days, and without any update, it went in French.

The language has clearly been pushed through a web update. Basically, the App Store is a stripped down version of Safari with a Favorites bar, that can install apps.

The toolbar is not a web page, but it does pull web data for the button labels. The iOS App Store does the same thing. They do it so they don't have to push a new version of OS X or iOS every time they want to add a new country to the store.

Safari itself is "Aqua". So is the App Store.

Safari itself is "Aqua". So is the App Store.

Of course Safari is Aqua. I didn?t mean it wasn?t.

The toolbar is not a web page, but it does pull web data for the button labels. The iOS App Store does the same thing. They do it so they don't have to push a new version of OS X or iOS every time they want to add a new country to the store.

Oh thanks for the info, I didn?t know that. The whole toolbar feels a little slow though :-/

Seeded 3 days ago:

Apple seeds first beta of OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.1 (build 12B13) to developers

Today, Apple has seeded the first beta build of OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.1 to developers. The build number is 12B13 and it is available from the Mac Developer Center web portal. Apple says that the initial 10.8.1 seed has zero known issues. However, Apple asks developers to focus on testing Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange in Mail, PAC Proxies in Safari, SMB, USB, and WiFi and Audio when connected to the Apple Thunderbolt Display.

Earlier this week, Apple informed participants of the AppleSeed program that they would receive the initial Mountain Lion 10.8.1 build soon.

The DMG to perform a delta update from OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.0 is only 38.54MB. The installation itself takes up 36.4MB of space on a Mountain Lion Mac.

According to a reader who installed OS X 10.8.1, Facebook integration is yet to be included. Perhaps Facebook will come as a separate download,like it currently does for developers, or perhaps it will come in a later beta or another version of OS X Mountain Lion altogether. Also, for those wondering, it does not seem like this release has iMessage phone number merging.

Known Issues

- None

Focus Areas

- Active Directory

- Microsoft Exchange in Mail

- PAC proxies in Safari

- SMB

- USB

- Wi-Fi and audio when connected to Thunderbolt display

Read more at 9to5Mac

Seeded 3 days ago:

Apple seeds first beta of OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.1 (build 12B13) to developers

Read more at 9to5Mac

I have it running on my 2012 Macbook Air at the moment. No real change for me from GM, although I wasn't having any issues with it before, so I doubt there is much for it to fix. I did clean install though.

I have it running on my 2012 Macbook Air at the moment. No real change for me from GM, although I wasn't having any issues with it before, so I doubt there is much for it to fix. I did clean install though.

I haven't notice anything myself on 10.8 (2012 MacBook Air) but did you notice any differences in battery life on 10.8.1?

Mission Control animations stutter with a handful of apps open. I had the same issue with OS X Lion until the v10.7.1 or .2 update. Now I'm back at square one again. Nice.