iOS 5.1 out March 7 as well

Needs a lot of bugfixes for the iPad 1 - Safari is just appalling on it after iOS 5 :(

Safari doesn't even work on my iPad 2 anymore. I think it's something to do with the iOS 5 + Jailbreak installs. Been needing to wipe it and start fresh to see if it fixes it.

I'm jailbreaked with many tweaks more useful than Siri, that I don't use and is disabled on my 4S. (Springtomize, Now Listening, Icon Renamer, Activator, modified dock, modified hosts file to block ads, etc.)

I guess the 5.1 release won't be a big deal for me. iPhone 4/3GS users, don't cry for not having Siri, it's a gadget, it gets old after a week... ;)

The only thing I would like Apple to fix is the "art cover" bug with iTunes Match. Even if all the music is tagged correctly, sometimes for a reason the art cover won't appear on streaming files

The only thing I would like Apple to fix is the "art cover" bug with iTunes Match. Even if all the music is tagged correctly, sometimes for a reason the art cover won't appear on streaming files

I'd like to see 'Spotify-esque' streaming in iCloud instead of having to download the files to the device, which is pointless as I can already do that with iTunes.

I'd like to see 'Spotify-esque' streaming in iCloud instead of having to download the files to the device, which is pointless as I can already do that with iTunes.

I understand what you mean. Right now iTunes Match downloads files you "stream" on your iDevice and keeps them in a cache directory somewhere so you don't have to redownload them the next day if you listen to these songs again. I know this cache storage is managed automatically by the iPhone cuz after a period of time, some files will be deleted (the files you don't listen to anymore (playcount didn't change for a week)? The files older than XX days? Apple won't say how it works), so the phone will not fill up with songs until there's not more space left.

I used iSub (and Subsonic) to stream music on my iPhone before iTunes Match was launched, and it worked like that too (a cache storage where all the files you streamed were copied for a certain amount of time).

I understand the logic of this method (would be stupid to redownload the same tracks 5 times in a week cuz you listened to these tracks every day of the week in your car while driving to work), but I understand that it may be crappy to have to use storage space on your iPhone when Apple says iTunes Match uses the "Cloud"... I guess they should allow the user to disable this "caching" system if they want too, or at least give the user the possibility to decide how much space can be used on the device to cache songs.

Sorry for my English by the way, not my primary language... :p

that is a big jump in numbers? lets hope more features and possible siri would be nice as as facetime can work over 3G too.

Would be nice to have some battery issues fixed and maybe an FB integration and some overal performance and stability/security issues fixed.

I understand what you mean. Right now iTunes Match downloads files you "stream" on your iDevice and keeps them in a cache directory somewhere so you don't have to redownload them the next day if you listen to these songs again. I know this cache storage is managed automatically by the iPhone cuz after a period of time, some files will be deleted (the files you don't listen to anymore (playcount didn't change for a week)? The files older than XX days? Apple won't say how it works), so the phone will not fill up with songs until there's not more space left.

I used iSub (and Subsonic) to stream music on my iPhone before iTunes Match was launched, and it worked like that too (a cache storage where all the files you streamed were copied for a certain amount of time).

I understand the logic of this method (would be stupid to redownload the same tracks 5 times in a week cuz you listened to these tracks every day of the week in your car while driving to work), but I understand that it may be crappy to have to use storage space on your iPhone when Apple says iTunes Match uses the "Cloud"... I guess they should allow the user to disable this "caching" system if they want too, or at least give the user the possibility to decide how much space can be used on the device to cache songs.

Sorry for my English by the way, not my primary language... :p

Your English seems pretty damn good to me (Y)!

I did not know that iTunes Match deletes old songs that it previously downloaded on iOS. I figured they were there to stay. Good to know.

I can?t wait. iOS5 is the buggiest release I have installed so far on my 3GS and they haven?t bothered fixing that many bugs so far.

This!

I've been using iOS since v3 when the 3Gs was released, and iOS5 is definitely the buggiest version to date. Same issues on the 4S now.

They need to fix those issues, in addition to tighten up the loopholes on the security side.

Apple usually releases a new iOS on announcements, but sometimes it could be a beta (which this won't be) or release it within a few days.

I presume apple will go with its 5.1 on march 7, since iOS 5.1 beta has been going on for weeks.

Your English seems pretty damn good to me (Y)!

I did not know that iTunes Match deletes old songs that it previously downloaded on iOS. I figured they were there to stay. Good to know.

Thanks

Here's the explanation from Macworld.com

http://www.macworld....unes_match.html

Downloaded songs are automatically removed to make extra space

When you tap to play a song on your iTunes Match-enabled iOS device, the song gets cached. That way, if you tap to play, say, ?Je Suis Rick Springfield? by Jonathan Coulton on your iPhone today, the song won?t need to get downloaded all over again when you tap to play it again tomorrow. Similarly, you can tap to download complete playlists or albums on your iOS device; maybe you?d do so while on Wi-Fi so that you could hear all of Coulton?s latest album later during your commute home, without gobbling up your data plan.

Of course, one of the benefits of iTunes Match is that you can free up extra space on your iOS devices by not syncing your entire library. Once you start downloading lots of songs as you play them back, does that advantage vanish? In a word: No. In more words: With iTunes Match enabled, your iOS device will automatically remove some downloaded songs over time. The algorithm is smart?older and least-played tracks are removed first.

Apple hasn?t clarified under precisely which circumstances songs get removed. Perhaps one day we?ll see an option to control how much storage space iTunes Match can use for caching on your device, but no such option exists yet. So while you can manually remove tracks from your iOS device by swiping as if to delete them (which leaves the iCloud-stored track in place, but frees up the few megabytes the song requires), it shouldn't be necessary; your device will take care of eliminating old tracks automatically

Needs a lot of bugfixes for the iPad 1 - Safari is just appalling on it after iOS 5 :(

The iPad 1 is getting old.... I'm running 5.1beta on my iPad and it's not working any better than 5.0. I guess it's going to be time for an upgrade to iPad 3.

Suppose to be out today...no OTA update available on my iPhone 4 yet.

Seems like the only feature I'll see is the ability to delete photos from the photo stream... oh well, always up for some bug fixes.

hope they fix the stuttery alert tones

did you upgrade from a previous phone version?

i had to go and re-select the alert tones and that fixed it for me - persistent across reboots