Mother convicted over son's suicide

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/st...55E1702,00.html

What are your thoughts?

The mother has whats coming to her. And she is of course at fault for not taking a deeper interest in her childs life and creating shuch bad home life for her child. I am a single dad, but Ill be damed if I would ever have my son live in conditions like that. And he lives with me not his mother.

I think they should have made the kids responsiable and the school to an extent as well. Schools need to pay closer attention to whats going on in there hallways. Of course, its difficult to do with so many kids, and the budget cuts etc make it even harder to do what needs to be done, but honestly, SOMETHING needs to be done about bullies in school. Every year it seems the schools want less and less responsability for our kids and what happens in there halls. I get these letters that I have to sign every year saying there not to be held responsibal for my son being hurt etc. How much more needs to happen to kids in Highschool etc before they realize something more intense needs to be brought down on these kids? At my sons school, if a kid bullies and continues after being warned, and talk to the parents, they call the cops and do a police report.

I am a parent. So I can say that :)

The mother was negligent to her sons needs, she needs to be punished for that. However I do agree the school needed to get some what involved, legally if someone knows of child neglect or endangerment they have to report it. A dirty house is definitely evidence that she was not suitable to be the child's guardian.

There are such disturbing stories about suicide.

I recently was visiting my sister and she told me about a band in Florida, a "Right to Die" band that found a fan who was terminally ill and invited him to commit suicide on stage during a live show, which he agreed to do. Florida immediatly passed a law making such an action illegal, but the band has changed the date and location and says that they are still going through with it.

Link to Story

Isnt that the most disturbing thing? It makes my heart squirm. :x

I really don't think a mother should be held responsible for the decision her son made, even if he was a minor. It's not like she handed him the tie and said "go kill yourself." Yes she could have been aware (where in that article does it say she wasn't?), but she was working TWO JOBS so that she could feed and clothe her child. The two jobs listed in the article are not high paying, they're both minimum wage. I wonder if her child did anything to help with the house cleaning, because by the sounds of things he did not, which is something every child should do. Especially those whose parents are single.

Just my two cents.

EDIT: About my question where it says she wasn't aware.....

Scruggs told police Daniel was afraid of bullies who had kicked and punched him, and he kept knives in his closet out of fear before killing himself in January last year.

I'd say thats pretty aware of whats going on in her childs life, and I find it hard to believe she didn't try to give him some form of advice.

There are such disturbing stories about suicide.

I recently was visiting my sister and she told me about a band in Florida, a "Right to Die" band that found a fan who was terminally ill and invited him to commit suicide on stage during a live show, which he agreed to do. Florida immediatly passed a law making such an action illegal, but the band has changed the date and location and says that they are still going through with it.

Link to Story

Isnt that the most disturbing thing? It makes my heart squirm. :x

It's illegal to commit suicide in the first place isn't it? Why did they need to make another law on top of that?

Laws saying suicide is illegal certainly don't stop anyone who's already in such a state to commit it. If successful, laws are irrelevant. Regarding the band in Florida, it's with a terminally ill patient who's willing to end his life publicly to draw attention to "right to die" issues. The band, should they go through with things, may likely face legal charges themselves. A new, clear law had to be passed regarding the public nature of the event.

Re the article: If there was bullying going on at the school, it's school responsibility to step in. If the kid was in such a crisis state, school folk should have noticed and reported things to child protection or whatever comparable exists. Sounds like they neglected some responsibilities that should have been apparent. (No thanks to kids who just pick on those who smell weird without even asking what's going on in another's life.)

A lot of specifics would determine if the mother should be reasonably held responsible for living conditions and so on. I'd personally be curious what happened to the kid's father and other relatives. If the kid and his mother were abandoned so that she had to work two jobs to eat, etc., charges of "responsibility" will hopefully spread.

Always makes me sad to hear of such things happening. So many things have had to break down for them to occur, more often than not....

The mother had to have some idea of what was going on. If she didn't, she obviously didn't care enough to see what was happening.

I think if she didn't care enough she wouldn't have been working two jobs to keep him fed and clothed.

That's sad that that suicide happened. The mother does owe it to her child to a certain point to provide a loving, clean, and stable environment to the best of her ability.

You don't think that perhaps thats what she was trying to accomplish with working two jobs? Working two jobs leaves very little time to clean the house. What was the child doing to help? When theres only one parent, and that parents is working two jobs so that the parent and child can eat IMO the child should be helping with work around the house.

I really hate to sound like I'm protecting the mother for letting her child kill himself, but all I'm trying to do is perhaps show people the other side of things.

Well the story I saw this morning on the news is that the mother sought counseling for her son the day before he killed himself, it also said that he was tormented, in every sense of the word, by other kids at school everyday. I do think the sentence she recieved was far reaching and was intended to make an example out of her. If she is guilty of neglect, then so are the others who took part in the attacks on that kids self esteem. 12 years old...its really sad.