Windows 8 Consumer Preview Discussion

It took me about a month to get a grasp on Metro in the DP. I kept convincing myself it is useless for desktops/k+m, yet I found myself using it more and more. By now I only go to Desktop if I must. As apps start appearing in Metro, I figure I would use the desktop less and less. Metro and live tiles are brilliant. . It is quite simply faster, simpler and more precise. I am a heavy multi-tasker, and I frowned at the Metro UI when I first saw it. It took me a while, but I realized it is actually a multi-tasker's wet dream. The amount of information, or more accurately the potential for it, on the Start screen is absolutely incredible. The live tiles means that you only open an app or website when you must interact - not to check for updates or see if anything's changed - which I realized I do most of the time. Maybe this is not the right time to jump in it - but just wait till all your apps are supported by Metro

Of course, if you still don't like it, don't use it. Use the Desktop by all means.

if this is the route they are taking then I will be more and more tempted to buy a mac. Why have they made it so hard to get into the control panel? When do I have to log off before I can shutdown? Why have they got rid of the start button, it was far easier to click that to open the metro interface than clicking a empty corner....

You don't have to log off to shutdown. Just move your mouse to the lower-right corner, then click Settings, then Power.

Control Panel can be found by searching. Or right-click in the lower left corner ;)

Clicking in a corner is the easiest thing you can do with a mouse.

It's not working at all for me, the time it takes me to open a new program, or find a program I want with Windows 8, I can do 3 times over in Windows 7. Gestures are for touch, not mice.

Hell, I can't even get metro apps to exit.

This right there

You don't have to log off to shutdown. Just move your mouse to the lower-right corner, then click Settings, then Power.

Control Panel can be found by searching. Or right-click in the lower left corner ;)

Clicking in a corner is the easiest thing you can do with a mouse.

Amen to that, unfortunately I'm in a VM and I need to use Windows 7 as a main OS as this isn't done yet, this makes Win 7 seem incomplete to me.

Overall I'm liking it, once I figured out how the new menu works it's actually quite good, can get around faster than the old style, and it's search system is a nice improvmenet over 7's. Seems pretty efficient as well, one of my test systems is an old Toshiba craptop, actually runs rather nicely on it, giving XP a good run for the money.

I can no longer find a desktop version of RDC for example. It is in Metro only now?

The old client is still there, just not pinned to the menu by default. Try running MSTSC as usual.

Pretty sure you can't.

Pretty much anything in Windows can be disabled, either via a registry change, a GPO, a third party shell workaround, or just flat out replaced.

can someone post the build number of IE10 and see what score it gets on html5test.com in metro and in desktop IE10. THANKS! Also see whether webm is an option on youtube.com/html5

i presume microsoft won't have included webm in win8 but its possible.

can someone post the build number of IE10 and see what score it gets on html5test.com in metro and in desktop IE10. THANKS! Also see whether webm is an option on youtube.com/html5

i presume microsoft won't have included webm in win8 but its possible.

10.0.8250 is what I'm getting in the Metro version.

Yea, this isn't any better than the developer preview. The Metro interface is still just as ridiculous and broken when you're using a keyboard and mouse/trackpad.

It'll make a pretty nice tablet OS, though (assuming they can achieve battery life and performance that'll rival an iPad).

I am liking these full screen apps less and less, sometimes I don't want everyone looking at my pc to know what I am looking at, or not be able to minimize an app right away. Also these programs take up the entire screen but only use a 1/3 in content, leaving the rest a big white area.. seems like horrible design in my opinion.

Also, I go into the metro apps, they load up, I sit and watch the splash. But every time I want to change apps by going back to the start screen, the app has to fully load every time, making me see the splash.

Anyone know if one can use Boot Camp or Parallels or something along those lines on a Mac to get this working?

I am really doubting it can be done, just curious.

I'm kinda confused.. so we download and install the iso for a preview for windows 8? How long do we get to keep the preview? Because I don't want to install it on my machine and have everything screw up.

Once I started treating the Start Screen like a modified Start Menu, I find it works quite well. It's actually faster once you get used to it. Also, a scroll wheel is definitely useful here.

I'm kinda confused.. so we download and install the iso for a preview for windows 8? How long do we get to keep the preview? Because I don't want to install it on my machine and have everything screw up.

This is not for you then. This is just a buggy beta for people to test out and developers to try their metro apps out.