Windows 8 Consumer Preview Discussion

Anyone got it installed in VMWare 8 yet? I get this error (and yes I didn't forget to check the Intel-VT/AMD-V option):

yup, working fine here.

Just to see if I got this right... there is no option to install the ISO to a new partition without burning or through usb?

Anyone got it installed in VMWare 8 yet? I get this error (and yes I didn't forget to check the Intel-VT/AMD-V option):

I have it working fine in VMware Workstation 8. Make sure you turn off the floppy drive so that VMware doesn't try to use an unattended install on it or it will keep rebooting over and over.

tried to download it twice and each time it is showing that the x64 version is only 2Gb and the resulting ISO file only contains a boot.img file that will not install on Virtual Box

Probably the best thing I can say is that it's fast, even in a virtual machine. That said, I recommend against using it in a (windowed) VM: it's really hard to hit the screen corners and edges that are so important in Windows 8.

Can anyone get the 'Do not show the Start Menu when the user logs in' group policy setting (see User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar) working? It didn't work in the Developer Preview, but I was hoping it would be fixed in the public beta. The registry key is HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\DontShowStartMenuOnLogin.

I haven't spotted any fixes for my favourite UI bugs from earlier versions of Windows that weren't already fixed in the Developer Preview. The tooltips for window close/maximise/minimise/restore are still drawn in the pre-XP style :( I guess they'll never be updated. On the plus side, the window borders for command prompt windows are no longer fatter than normal, and the open/close animations for windows I think no longer stutter on the last/first frame as they did in Windows 7 (but not in Vista).

I'm losing hope of an updated style for the Windows ribbon. Office 2010's ribbon looks great, and even Office 2007's is nicer than what we have currently.

I find the absence of an inner border for Aero window frames to be a bit strange.

The glow behind title bar text is still cut off at the bottom for maximised windows where the glass is extended downwards. (Open the desktop Personalisation panel and maximise it - it's easiest to see with a black background.)

I'm really not a fan of the Metro UI popping up when the Network notification icon is clicked, particularly as it covers the taskbar.

I guess with the focus being on Metro it was too much to hope for many existing desktop UI inconsistencies to be fixed, but it's still disappointing.

I tend to agree with firey that it doesn't feel much different to the Developer Preview build. There are improvements, certainly, but hardly any major changes to the experience. At least the desktop-to-Metro transition animation is a bit less jarring than previously.

Got mines up and running in VM VirtualBox. Had no trouble getting the x64 version to install and the process went smoother than I could hope for.

Early impressions:

- Love the Microsoft Accounts to unify all things relating to Microsoft (Mail, XBOX Live, etc.)

- Still on the fence with the Metro Start, it's probably the case of me getting use to the interface

- Ribbon on Explorer is about what I expected it to be. I didn't mind the ribbon when it was first introduced, so it won't be much of an issue for me later on.

And that's all that was worth taking note right now. I just messed with it for 10 mins to see what changes and improvements were done since the DP.

BTW, I chuckled a little when I saw there were already 5 updates for the CP when I checked Windows Update. Probably not unusal but still got a little laugh from me.

How does one run multiple Metro apps side by side? I can't seem to figure it out.

It's kind of convoluted. You have to put your cursor down in the lower left (until the "Start box" appears) and then move the cursor straight up. That'll show you the app bar. When you have that showing, you just click and drag an app out next to the current app.

For me Windows 8 Consumer Preview hasn't changed a thing about how I feel about Metro: It's a decent interface to interact with a smartphone or tablet however it has no place on a PC. The Metro apps are way too simplistic and bland looking for a desktop PC or notebook. 75% of my 27-inch screen (native resolution of 2560 x 1440) is filled up with empty space and all the full screen apps make the OS feel claustrophobic.

How does one run multiple Metro apps side by side? I can't seem to figure it out.

you have to manually set it up, which is another stupid thing. Drag your mouse to the bottom left corner, then slowly run it up along the edge of the screen. There you will get a view that reminds me of Powerpoints slide display, there you right click on the app, and pick if you want it to be pinned to the left or right of the app you are currently on, I may be wrong but I think you have to do this for every app if you want to be able to go between them.

you have to manually set it up, which is another stupid thing. Drag your mouse to the bottom left corner, then slowly run it up along the edge of the screen. There you will get a view that reminds me of Powerpoints slide display, there you right click on the app, and pick if you want it to be pinned to the left or right of the app you are currently on, I may be wrong but I think you have to do this for every app if you want to be able to go between them.

Middleclick to close ;)

I like the Metro interface when used on the right device (phone, tablet, TV, games console), but as someone who is going to work entirely in the Desktop environment it seems that Windows 8 has nothing to offer me over Windows 7.

Just tried to install MS Security Essentials - not compatible

MSE (as was the case with the Developer Preview) is moot - an improved Windows Defender (which is, in fact, identical to the current beta of MSE) is included.

A welcome and surprising surprise - upgrading from the DP to the CP is possible - however, it will only save your personal files (not your applications - you have to reinstall those).

Another surprise - it's (so far) noticeably smoother and slicker than the WDP - gotta be some of those 100K changes.

Hardware support - utterly identical to Windows 7 + SP1.

I really have to wonder - how much in the way of changes (aside from the Metro-haters wanting the UI to go away) will be needed at the RC stage?

Interim analysis - Windows 7 + SP1 is in serious trouble.

Well yes, if you disable features, you're going to lose the functionality the disabled stuff brings ;)

So which brings me back to my original point: You can't really disable Metro. It just isn't a viable option.

Windows 8 is already better than Windows 7 for me, that Weather app is a killer app for me as I like to keep track of the weather a lot.

And a gadget doesn't do the exact same thing on Windows 7, cuz I'm pretty sure it does.. and you don't have to open a new program to see it.

Feels pretty good. I dig the new start menu. I don't mind not having a start button, it's just a waste of space to be honest, though it should be more apparent where it is to activate it (like the Show Desktop section on Windows 7).

ATI dropped the ball on drivers, too. Had to install 11.11 to get CCC working.

I can't find where to print mail messages? Seriously? This will be a deal breaker for the wife. Am I just missing some key menu somewhere?

No print in the immersive IE either.

EDIT: Ok, printing in any Metro app in general right now seems to be non-existent. I'm not really sure how this got out the door as "Consumer Preview" without the ability to print anything. That seems... silly. Was really, really excited about this since we love our Windows Phones, but ... this is pretty bad. :(

And a gadget doesn't do the exact same thing on Windows 7, cuz I'm pretty sure it does.. and you don't have to open a new program to see it.

That's what tiles are for. Press the win key once to check the weather or see if you have mail, then press it again to go back to what you were doing.

So you're limited to using full screen apps in Metro, with only one partially suck to the side?

Feels pretty good. I dig the new start menu. I don't mind not having a start button, it's just a waste of space to be honest, though it should be more apparent where it is to activate it (like the Show Desktop section on Windows 7).

ATI dropped the ball on drivers, too. Had to install 11.11 to get CCC working.

Didnt the preview Windows 8 drivers work? Worked fine on the DP on my Acer W500.

Tryed in VM and i'm gonna stick with Windows 7 till version 9 :)

I miss start menu and i realy dont see any point having metro on regular PC only for tablets and touch screan laptops or monitors.