Windows 8 Consumer Preview Discussion

I still don't get this confusion thing.

The fact that MS is including two different applications that are both called 'Internet Explorer' doesn't give you a clue?

Apple included video tutorials with OS X' System Preferences so people can quickly learn how to use the different gestures. Is such a thing present in Windows 8? So far I haven't been able to find it.

The OOBE is the last thing they implement. You can't do that until the rest is done. :/

The fact that MS is including two different applications that are both called 'Internet Explorer' doesn't give you a clue?

it's actually a good thing to have 2 versions of IE on win8.

It allows Microsoft to greatly improve the sandbox security of IE/metro while keeping retrocompatibility with current plugins on desktop IE.

But obviously, self proclaimed "power users" don't like evolution (and surprisingly don't care much about security) and prefer to stick with their old generation unsandboxed browsers (like firefox or opera).

At least Microsoft innovates and tries new security and UI technologies, and 99% of the user base will benefit from these features in the long term.

• Like 3

it's actually a good thing to have 2 versions of IE on win8.

It isn't great from a UX point of view. That's all I'm saying. Metro is supposed to reduce complexity, yet it may actually lead to increased complexity since it is adding a new UI layer on top of the existing one, and the user is forced to switch back and forth between the two. I'm sure Metro is fine on the tablet, and might even work reasonably well on the Desktop at some point in the future for a certain percentage of users, even though that percentage of users might just as well be using a tablet probably, but as it stands, it looks like most users will not be able to stay in either Metro or the Desktop.

It isn't great from a UX point of view. That's all I'm saying. Metro is supposed to reduce complexity, yet it may actually lead to increased complexity since it is adding a new UI layer on top of the existing one, and the user is forced to switch back and forth between the two. I'm sure Metro is fine on the tablet, and might even work reasonably well on the Desktop at some point in the future for a certain percentage of users, even though that percentage of users might just as well be using a tablet probably, but as it stands, it looks like most users will not be able to stay in either Metro or the Desktop.

And please explain the reason why they would need too apart from it been their preference?

And please explain the reason why they would need too apart from it been their preference?

Because the way to complete common tasks across applications starts to depend on the environment you're in. How does the user get into an application's settings menu? How do you show two documents next to each other? How do you close an app? How do you show open apps? Etc. In Windows 8, there is no single answer to these questions. That's bad design. It means, there is more for the user to learn and the steps to achieve certain goals are less obvious and take more time to think of than if the interface was consistent.

Because its backward, going back to only being able to run 2 apps on screen at once is ridiculous. Id have to run 3 or 4 monitors to do the same things im doing now with 1 monitor assuming all the apps went metro only.

Then don't use Metro apps. Use a desktop app.

• Like 1

I find it odd that there's so many fundamental things that throw you back to classic desktop. Why isn't there a comprehensive metro control panel? Computer management? Even if you want to browse the files on your computer, you're frown back to the classic desktop and I really expected these things to have had a metro overhaul by CP

It is unnecessary to have two interfaces of Windows Update:

post-173562-0-79389900-1330835189_thumb.

On the left top is Metro Windows Update. Both showing the same download.

All I want to know is, can you get rid of preview pane or is it stuck there. In current windows the preview pane is optional on hover. If it is stuck in your face that is undoubtedly a step backwards.

All I want to know is, can you get rid of preview pane or is it stuck there. In current windows the preview pane is optional on hover. If it is stuck in your face that is undoubtedly a step backwards.

What preview pane ?

It's not stuck there. He is just showing that there is a desktop & metro Windows Update.

Then don't use Metro apps. Use a desktop app.

If you'll spend time installing third party apps and trying to keep Metro out of your way, what's the point of installing Windows8?

Because the way to complete common tasks across applications starts to depend on the environment you're in. How does the user get into an application's settings menu? How do you show two documents next to each other? How do you close an app? How do you show open apps? Etc. In Windows 8, there is no single answer to these questions. That's bad design. It means, there is more for the user to learn and the steps to achieve certain goals are less obvious and take more time to think of than if the interface was consistent.

And I guess the every user is against learning new stuff? The steps to achieve certain goals are less obvious now because it's NEW, given time and a decent exposure to it, these will become second nature to all.

Yes but the problem is that Metro gets in our way in doing things on Desktop.

How exactly does metro get in your way?

And I guess the every user is against learning new stuff?

What does the user gain in return for her efforts? Most people have better stuff to do than learning to find their way around schizophrenic UIs thrown into the latest OS on the market.

What does the user gain in return for her efforts? Most people have better stuff to do than learning to find their way around schizophrenic UIs thrown into the latest OS on the market.

I have to agree with you that the user experience in Metro is more of a learning curve that it probably should be for the average Windows user. There's no reason why the Metro interface couldn't include already familiar ways to interact with apps, or maybe even incorporate a Metro version of a ribbon tool bar. In any case, visual indicators (buttons or icons) on the screen as to what needs to be done for common operations such as closing the application, settings, and others would make the experience better, IMO.

Hey does anyone know if there's a way to have Windows 8 autologin with a Microsoft account so that the user just gets the Start screen automatically upon bootup? Thanks in advance.

Hey does anyone know if there's a way to have Windows 8 autologin with a Microsoft account so that the user just gets the Start screen automatically upon bootup? Thanks in advance.

Removing the password and leaving the field empty for new doesn't work?

After uninstalling Windows 8 as my main OS, I've been using it in a VM and it's growing on me. Not sure it's ready for a main OS though. My question is how do you set the color bit depth? Virtual Box keeps telling me to set it to 32 bit color but I can't find the option!

Removing the password and leaving the field empty for new doesn't work?

That works for a local account but does it also work for a Microsoft Account?

Not using a Microsoft account at the moment.

You should give a try yourself, maybe?

Just tried to create a blank password and it didn't work for the Microsoft Account :(