Windows 8/8.1 tips and tricks - post them here

I don't know if this was posted already, but if You add "desktop" to system auto-start then some about 10 sec after log in to system You will be moved to desktop, working not to bad...

Or you can add it to the registry's autostart section and it will bring up the desktop even faster.

To alleviate some of the jarring effect of switching between legacy mode and metro, right click on the desktop, select personalise, and select a windows basic theme, go into window colours and select one that matches what you've set for the start screen, and move the colour intensity slider over to the right. The look will end up being fairly similar to metro.

ok here is something i found on my own. i dont know u guys know this or not

goto the multitask menu at the left side mouse over on a screen and right click

u got a menu that has close ,snap left ,snap right

post-411818-0-56196700-1331048325_thumb.

• Like 1

DId you upgrade from WIindows 7? There's a problem where if you try to attach a Microsoft account to your existing Windows 7 account it doesn't always work properly...

I'm running Windows 8 on a VHD from a Windows 7 laptop, not sure if that counts.

Sorry for the double post, couldn't edit my last one.

You can essentially hide the Windows 8 watermark behind the taskbar by doing the following:

- Unlock taskbar

- Move taskbar to top of screen

- Right-click the desktop

- Click personalize

- Click desktop background

- Change picture positon to fill until you see the watermark move down to the bottom of the screen

- Drag taskbar down to bottom

- Lock taskbar

If there's a simple way to fully remove it, that would be great.

• Like 1

You can essentially hide the Windows 8 watermark behind the taskbar by doing the following:

Thanks but I ended up with this. :(

post-407818-0-63225100-1331092698.png

Is there a way to get back? :wacko:

Thanks but I ended up with this. :(

post-407818-0-63225100-1331092698.png

Is there a way to get back? :wacko:

It worked for me because I have the default thicker taskbar, if you have the thinner one it won't work. To get it back just go back into the personalize menu by right-clicking the desktop and select 'dekstop background'.

Yeah, sorry about that.

I don't like big icons so I made them smaller which in-turns made the taskbar smaller.

Anyway, thanks

That's fine, I should have explained it better in my original post. Anyway, here's what it looks like if anyone else wanted to try it:

NPHPT.png

Yeah, sorry about that.

I don't like big icons so I made them smaller which in-turns made the taskbar smaller.

Anyway, thanks

See post #60 by Mephistopheles.

Follow those instructions, but use a font like Verdana 8pt.

It should work then (did for me).

Note that this will also change the icon title and explorer font to the one you selected.

Is there a way to create custom Metro tiles to assign to the folders you have pinned on the start screen?

So far the only way to make a metro live tile is when you make an app. I think it'd be good for MS to add a few pre-set metro tiles for things like say, a resource monitor tile that can show cpu/ram info etc and when you click it would open task manager.

Hell, maybe someone can make a few or something but as it stands I don't think there are any outside of what apps use.

snap to left or right doesn't work for metro apps in 1360x768 any idea how to enable it on cp

Maybe the res needs to be higher? That's the only thing I can think of at this point.

Maybe the res needs to be higher? That's the only thing I can think of at this point.

i thought minimal resolution 1360x768

note: the registry edit only works with DP not CP if anyone one going to suggest it

i thought minimal resolution 1360x768

note: the registry edit only works with DP not CP if anyone one going to suggest it

I thought the minimum was 1366x768