Tornadoes in the South

Not really technology related news, but my hometown of Salyersville, KY demolished by a tornado yesterday. They very rarely see things like this because of their location in the hills, but one touched down yesterday and totally destroyed what everybody calls "Restaurant Row". The downtown area where the courthouse and things are wasn't touched though, so that's good. One of the schools was completely leveled and the others were severely damaged. Several businesses were leveled and people are missing. Most of my family members are fine except one aunt we haven't been able to contact. The next town over, West Liberty, is in worse shape because just a couple of days ago they too experienced a tornado for the first time in their memory, and then yesterday they were hit again by an F4 and one to two smaller tornadoes. Their town is also in shambles.

Like I said, I know it's not tech related, but thought I would share this info. I never would have known it was happening except for I turned in my drivers' license at the rifle range yesterday to get a spotting scope and the guy looked at me and said, "Bet you're glad you're not in Kentucky now aint ya?" The phones and power are out all around the town, so of course I hadn't seen anything on Facebook about it because nobody has internet.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

post-125978-0-19804300-1330807530_thumb.

It looks like one huge storm raked a straight path all the way from Campton, through West Liberty, Salyersville along the Mountain Parkway, through parts of Johnson County and finally ending up in the Inez area. I've never seen such devastation in person and no one can remember anything like this ever happening in this area. My power came back on early this morning and internet and phones a few hours ago. The place I live didn't get hit but being in the dark all night with no communications and not knowing about family and friends was terrifying. I'm thankful that they were all ok but sadly many families have lost their homes or loved ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBZXKoOW7yk

West Liberty Tornado

http://originalweatherblog.blogspot.com/

Jeez. that's a lot of servos and fast food outlets for a small town.

A lot of places in the US are like that. For example where I live (Daytona Beach), population of about 50-60k we have:

- 5 McDonalds

- 4 Subways

- 3 Burger Kings

- 2 Wendys

- 3 Checkers / Rallys

- 4 Chinese take outs

- 3 KFCs

- 1 Popeye's chicken

- 1 Church's chicken

- 1 Chick-Fil-A

- 1 Chipotle

And that's just from the top of my head, there's probably a few more lol.

We have 84,000 and the local Chamber of Commerce (business org.) has about 350+ members, which is probably half the businesses in the city. 3 250,000 - 300,000 sq.ft hypermarkets, 1 major shopping center, 2 major movie complexes, 1 stage theater, 2 shooting ranges, 2 high schools, and enough restaurants from family owned & McDonalds to Thai & Middle Eastern to feed an army.

I've been following the news on this and it is sad to see all the destruction and to read about the rising death toll. The power of nature is so immense it can be frightening. I pray for those who died or lost loved ones and for those hurt. I hope all Neowin member who live in this affected areas are safe and accounted for.