We Americans eat Dog Food...

Tell me something I don't know....

This isn't news, but, it is informative to let people know to buy local, and spend a little more on fresh meat markets. I switched a long time ago from supercenters, to meat markets and stores. If anyone has a Piggly Wiggly in their area, while it isn't local, if you buy steak, beef, I would recommend you get it there. It is not the same as fresh meat market stores, but it IS better than your local "supercenter," or local store, as a local center is trying to maximize profits. Food Giant is also a decent place, but they are few and far between.

TL;DR: Don't buy meat from Wal-Mart or other similar supercenters. Small chains have better meat, and local food markets of course have fresh (albeit more expensive) better, healthier meat.

EDIT: Also, this isn't just an American thing. Do research.

• Like 2

I always thought school lunches were disgusting even 20 years ago, not just the meat, but the buns, etc..

They kind of contradict themselves though.. the man says what makes it disgusting is not the fact that its from bits and pieces of the cow, which we eat in sausages, but that they put artificial chemicals for taste and color which just makes it a "mass" to take up space... but sausages have a meat taste on their own, and they're also marketed with artificial coloring also to give them color... So it doesn't give me confidence that they're being straightforward.

That what got you upset? The ****ing title? Are you ****ing retarded?

Yeah, let's ignore the very alarming issue here and nit-pick about the title.

It is far from an alarming issue. You are being quite sensationalist.

Thankfully 0% of the ground beef I eat. Phew...

Unhealthy. Simple as that.

Here is a link on how to get started on Paleo eating.

http://www.fitbomb.com/p/why-i-eat-paleo.html

And then you wonder why the USA is going to ****...

We may be in hard times, but our meat consumption is hardly the big picture issue. Sensationalist, simple as that. And you can stop with that attitude. Be a realist, instead.

Yes, let's get this issue to Washington right away! Something else to distract them from issues that are 848474676% times more important than this.

Tell me something I don't know....

This isn't news, but, it is informative to let people know to buy local, and spend a little more on fresh meat markets. I switched a long time ago from supercenters, to meat markets and stores. If anyone has a Piggly Wiggly in their area, while it isn't local, if you buy steak, beef, I would recommend you get it there. It is not the same as fresh meat market stores, but it IS better than your local "supercenter," or local store, as a local center is trying to maximize profits. Food Giant is also a decent place, but they are few and far between.

TL;DR: Don't buy meat from Wal-Mart or other similar supercenters. Small chains have better meat, and local food markets of course have fresh (albeit more expensive) better, healthier meat.

EDIT: Also, this isn't just an American thing. Do research.

I get my meat from kroger and it's been much better then wa-mart meat. I got food poisoning reallly baaad from wal mart meat... 3 strikes and they were out of my belly for good. yuuuuck!

Pick out a good chuck roast, take it to the butcher (in the grocery store) and have him grind it for you. All you pay for is the chuck roast. Seriously though, get to know the butchers in your grocery stores, it can make a world of difference.

• Like 2

I get my meat from kroger and it's been much better then wa-mart meat. I got food poisoning reallly baaad from wal mart meat... 3 strikes and they were out of my belly for good. yuuuuck!

Pick out a good chuck roast, take it to the butcher (in the grocery store) and have him grind it for you. All you pay for is the chuck roast. Seriously though, get to know the butchers in your grocery stores, it can make a world of difference.

One word explains it.

Exactly.

Why is this disgusting? I can understand the objection to the chemicals used, but to declare the meat part of it disgusting is a matter of personal opinion. I grew up around small farms, my grandparents had maybe a dozen head of cattle, chickens, sheep, etc. When you ate one of the animals, you ate every bit of it. There were some parts I would not eat when I was a kid because I thought it was gross (liver, for example) but my grandparents ate everything. Throughout history, you ate everything because it was all you had and not sure if you would be able to find more. What was not edible, was used in other ways. But now, some people find certain parts of the animal objectionable and that means it is disgusting and needs to stop?

Reading the web site for the source, it seems to me like they have an anti-business agenda. Where do they suggest we get our food supply from if this practice were to suddenly stop? Or should we just let a portion of the population starve because some think it is disgusting?

Why is this disgusting? I can understand the objection to the chemicals used, but to declare the meat part of it disgusting is a matter of personal opinion. I grew up around small farms, my grandparents had maybe a dozen head of cattle, chickens, sheep, etc. When you ate one of the animals, you ate every bit of it. There were some parts I would not eat when I was a kid because I thought it was gross (liver, for example) but my grandparents ate everything. Throughout history, you ate everything because it was all you had and not sure if you would be able to find more. What was not edible, was used in other ways. But now, some people find certain parts of the animal objectionable and that means it is disgusting and needs to stop?

Reading the web site for the source, it seems to me like they have an anti-business agenda. Where do they suggest we get our food supply from if this practice were to suddenly stop? Or should we just let a portion of the population starve because some think it is disgusting?

You're looking at it the wrong way. How much percent of connective tissue make up a cows mass in volume? 7%? 10%? So why wouldn't it shock you that some ground beef only uses 30% muscle tissue and fat and 70% of connective tissue?

You're looking at it the wrong way. How much percent of connective tissue make up a cows mass in volume? 7%? 10%? So why wouldn't it shock you that some ground beef only uses 30% muscle tissue and fat and 70% of connective tissue?

You are looking at it the wrong way. It only appears to be a disproportionate amount of connective tissue in ground beef. There is little to no connective tissue in a fillet mignon because of where that part of the meat is taken from, but it is also a cut of meat that is not supposed to contain connective tissue. The Chuck region of the cow (where hamburger is taken from) is taken from the shoulder region which has more connective tissue because that is where the power of the animal is (work a muscle more, and there is more fiberous, connective tissue).

Let's suppose you have 100% of a cow. You take out one piece of fillet mignon, you have 100%-x% of a cow left and the proportion of connective tissue is higher in the 100%-x%. You take out a whole roast, and you have 100%-x%-y% left of the cow, and the amount of connective tissue goes up in the remaining part. And so on, and so on. what you have left is not the quality meat, but meat that is only good for grinding up because it is more stringy, fiberous, and has more connective tissue. If you take out the better cuts of meat, leaving only meat that is high in connective tissue then you are going to have more connective tissue in the meat that is left. Let's suppose you don't like blue M&Ms, so you eat all the M&Ms except for the blue ones. Since there are only blue M&Ms left, then the percentage of blue M&Ms for the next person who wants some M&Ms is going to be much higher than if the person picked an M&M out of the bag at random when first opened.

Now you could grind up those better cuts of meat, such as the fillet, and have something similar to hamburger (it would taste different) with a lower connective tissue percentage, but those cuts of meat are more expensive. So really, this boils down to a complaint that there are some people that are eating good quality meat that was taken from an area that has no connective tissue, while others are eating lower quality meat that contains connective tissue (because there was less meat without connective tissue). If we were to grind up everything in one mass, then the price of beef would go up.

I buy mine from a market that'll grind cuts to order for free, not that they add anything anyhow. Still, we have a big Kitchen-Aid mixer & grinder attachment if we want to make our own or do home brewed sausage.

oh good grief, why do people keep bringing this up? this has been proven to B.S. in the past and yet a certain group just wont let it go and keeps bringing it up

that so called pink slime was also apparently chicken according to some, beef, ham, lamb... the list goes on and on for the same thing...