Destructoid's review was quite positive indeed, and they tend to be more critical than your average game review outlet.

Will probably get this eventually, just not right now while Diablo 3 has launched. Still not sure if I'm going to go for the Xbox 360 or PC version (whenever the latter launches, later this month I believe). Hopefully the PC version turns out okay and it's not just a sloppy port.

I believe the PC version is supposed to be very good actually. At the very least we know it has way, way higher textures then the console version thanks to the insanely large file size from the install. It was personally a hard decision for me to go with the PS3, as to me this is a PC title as that is what I played 1&2 on, but truth is these days I sit in front of a computer all day for work, so there is something to be said about just sitting down on the couch, controller in hand, and zoning out to a great game on a large screen. My decision was made much easier by the fact it is a third person shooter. If it was an FPS, I no doubt lean towards and usually go with the PC version. But I do think the PC version should be the best option out of all of the options, at least I hope so since the roots of the series are indeed PC.

Shame they ditched the Film Noir style writing in favour of a more basic hollywood style action scripting.

Then again, it's a Rockstar game - I guess I shouldn't expect much.

Shame they ditched the Film Noir style writing in favour of a more basic hollywood style action scripting.

Then again, it's a Rockstar game - I guess I shouldn't expect much.

Although I really enjoy the originals(I recently replayed them and they hold up pretty well) I feel like some people put them on an impossibly high pedistal. They were always goofy as hell imo, even if the writing was nice and flowery.

This being a Rockstar game is definatly not a negitive imo.

I don't know, after playing for about 90 or so minutes, to me it is more or less classic Max Payne through and through, just modernized. But if there is one thing I feel they did keep pretty much consistent since the last two games, it is the narrative. Pretty much classic Max Payne. Lots of really pessimistic observations, etc.

Game is quite challenging actually. I have died a whole lot, and like I said, I am not to far in at all. Part of that has to do with me wanting to perfect each encounter. I did the same exact thing with the first two games, I would die on purpose feeling as if I could do a section of enemies better than I was doing. It is the somewhat OCDish tendencies I have when playing games shining through. So it is probably going to take me a good 3-5 hours longer than most people to beat it.

So I would say my initial impressions are so far so good. Again, I feel like it is the same game it always has been, just modernized. That is not said in a negative way, it is said to emphasize that it is in fact different. Most obvious way would be how cut scenes are handled. No more graphic novel style approach, but I think if that took that approach, no matter how well it was executed, it would have felt dated.

One thing I strongly suggest to anyone checking it out, at least on the PS3 version, is to go into the settings and reverse the buttons that are used for firing/bullet doge. By default R2 is fire and R1 is bullet dodge, and at least for myself, it feels much more natural the opposite way. Thing to know is it is actually somewhat buried in the options under controls, you have to scroll down once under controls which is under settings. Took me a minute to find it, but I knew they had to offer the option to change it, and luckily they do.

So yeah, I would say I am pretty much loving it so far. While it seems like most of the gaming world is playing Diablo III, I am playing, and right now thoroughly enjoying, Max Payne 3. Actually very eager to check out the MP as well, so going to do my best to beat SP faster than I usually do, but as it always comes down to, not sure when I will find the time to do so, but I am going to try and make it happen.

One thing I strongly suggest to anyone checking it out, at least on the PS3 version, is to go into the settings and reverse the buttons that are used for firing/bullet doge. By default R2 is fire and R1 is bullet dodge, and at least for myself, it feels much more natural the opposite way. Thing to know is it is actually somewhat buried in the options under controls, you have to scroll down once under controls which is under settings. Took me a minute to find it, but I knew they had to offer the option to change it, and luckily they do.

ugh I so hate that...so many racing games just arbitrarily change things for no real reason (yes, I know this ain't racing, but it's the same issue.)

Thanks for the rev Larry, and hope you're right about the PC version. I upgraded my machine for this game!

But I'm sure the diff compared to console won't be that great, and yeah this is a couch type of game. What I don't understand is why the PC version had to be delayed by like two weeks? Thats racism! :angry:

• Like 1

Waiting on PC version aswell. Loved the last 2 and the epic mods that came out. Matrix mods and levels were great fun, remember there being a very well made "lobby" from the 1st film in one of the games as a mod eventually, and pretty much zoning into that for hours on end at a time lol.

Really looking forward to 3 but just hoped some Noir was still there tbh.

Thanks for the rev Larry, and hope you're right about the PC version. I upgraded my machine for this game!

But I'm sure the diff compared to console won't be that great, and yeah this is a couch type of game. What I don't understand is why the PC version had to be delayed by like two weeks? Thats racism! :angry:

Because Diabo III. Course' had they known no one would be able to play, this would have been a perfect time to release it. :laugh:

Also waiting for the PC version. Both to finally get into the game and to see how well my old-ish setup holds up. ;)

my pc is rather dung so ill be getting the 360 version over the weekend.

I did like the Noir of the first two games however reading through the comments I'm still looking forward to playing the games, the max payne comments throughout the game are usually amusing.

got lucky and got my copy last three days ago. playing single player and multiplayer. I Enjoy single player, playing on medium and i still got parts that i have to play 4/5 times to know how to get trough :p. Love the bullit time as it was. i got the feeling i already played some 6/8hours single player and i am on 50% lol. Gtg to my friend now playing again. everyone have fun with the game.

p.s multiplayer is fun but i rather play mw3 then lol.

threeton - i don't think D3 was the issue. screw that game. or maybe not, i'm now kinda tempted to buy it heh heh...why not? but still, i don't think that's the reason. i think Rockstar/2K just want to give the console versions the honors, since that's where 90% of sales will be. it is a shame we have to wait for the PC version so long tho!

so 360 and PS3 gamers, how are the graphics on the console versions?

so 360 and PS3 gamers, how are the graphics on the console versions?

Graphics for the most part are very well done. There are even some times I would say they are just a slight step below Uncharted 3, and that is pretty high praise, at least IMO.

There are some pretty blatant cases of low textures revealing themselves here and there, but overall it is one of the better looking games this generation.

I am truly, truly loving it at this point in time. I am pretty much a bad ass, at least I feel like I am, and I am getting headshots more often than not now.

There have been a few on rail sequences I feel are somewhat weird in a Max Payne title, so not fully sold on their existence, and the biggest complaint I have about them are they are near impossible to do if you do not enable some kind of auto lock for the shooting. I have been playing a combination of Soft Lock and Free Aim, and I find myself really loving the free aim at times as it is much more fluid (I also read it is the way to go in MP), but I do feel there are some scenes that would literally be near impossible using Free Aim, in particular a few of the on-rails sequences.

I see there is also an Arcade mode, which lets you replay the SP levels with a scoring system, and I am actually really, really looking forward to also checking it out, and I way more often then not skip those modes once I have beaten the SP story mode, but it really is that much of a classic third person shooting game IMO. Rockstar really has come a long way from the almost frustrating shooting mechanics of the GTA series, they started it with Red Dead Redemption, but they really have taken it to another level with Max Payne. Not sure how many people bothered watching the behind the scenes technical video series Rockstar released a few months back, but one of them was all about the revolutionary way they handle handling in a third person shooter, and it really is true. On the surface it does not seem much different then prior games in the genre, but once you spend some good time with it, it is evident they really made perhaps the best third person shooter mechanics I have ever played.

Just picked up Max Payne 3 today, just waiting for the game to install.

Ive just noticed that i have two redeem codes for the cemetery multiplayer map DLC, if someone wants the other one just PM and ill give it to the first person, it's for the XBox version.

• Like 1

Just picked up Max Payne 3 today, just waiting for the game to install.

Ive just noticed that i have two redeem codes for the cemetery multiplayer map DLC, if someone wants the other one just PM and ill give it to the first person, it's for the XBox version.

Code gone :)

I really cannot stress enough how much I love this damn game now, and I am still playing the SP. According to r* social club I have been playing the SP campaign right around 10 hours.

It is right up there among the best 3rd person shooters I have ever played actually. Once you get over the fact it does some things very different from the older games in the series, I literally believe the game is amazing. The game-play mechanics themselves really are pretty much the most satisfying ever to exist in a 3rd person game that focuses on gunplay. It truly is orchestrated chaos.

The MP being good is just going to be icing on the cake to me, and from what I have read it is, so looking real forward to checking it out once I beat the SP Story.

I really cannot stress enough how much I love this damn game now, and I am still playing the SP. According to r* social club I have been playing the SP campaign right around 10 hours.

It is right up there among the best 3rd person shooters I have ever played actually. Once you get over the fact it does some things very different from the older games in the series, I literally believe the game is amazing. The game-play mechanics themselves really are pretty much the most satisfying ever to exist in a 3rd person game that focuses on gunplay. It truly is orchestrated chaos.

The MP being good is just going to be icing on the cake to me, and from what I have read it is, so looking real forward to checking it out once I beat the SP Story.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on the game, it's been really good so far, good story and good gameplay, the only little niggle ive had is that sometimes it feels that there are more cut scenes than action, but it's only a small niggle as the cut scenes have been really well done too.

Nice. I know that you are a big fan of the first two games just from reading other threads on Neowin, so this is definitely encouraging to hear.

I placed an order for the Xbox 360 version of Max Payne 3 last night. Best Buy was doing a 10% off sale on a bunch of games and accessories, so I went nuts. Eventually decided against the PC version, since I'm not terribly confident in my rig these days. It does okay for most games, but I don't want to drop $60 on a game and then find out that I need to bring all of my settings down to "Medium", and since there's no demo...

Just beat the SP. My GOTY so far. Easily actually.

As stated, I loved the first 2 games, so it is no surprise I am a huge fan of this series, so I am a tad biased, but if the game sucked I would say so, I have no reason to praise it just for the sake of praising it.

My overall stats are pretty insane...

Single Player Statistics

• Deaths 253
  • Headshots 1187
  • Bullets Fired 15120
  • Kills in Bullet Time 673
  • Kills While Blind Firing 0
  • Kills While Shoot Dodging 470
  • Kills While Crouching 19

1187 Headshots! Cmon, any game that allows one to have 1187 headshots, at least to me, is a classic. :laugh:

Seriously though, everything is so incredibly well done with the SP campaign. Story. Check. Gameplay. Absolutely Check. Sound. Check. Graphics. Check.

Really is classic Max Payne. Truly enjoyed it. And it is a tough game at times. As you can see by my stats above, I died alot. I would say 50-100 of those deaths were me dying on purpose, feeling as if I could do the sequence I just did better, and accepting death as opposed to getting my way out of dying with last stand.

My one and only complaint, no dream sequence. They really, really missed an opportunity there. Ironically enough, at one point in time Max refers to being in a bad dream, so I think that was without a doubt intentional on Rockstar's behalf.

So on to MP finally. I have a feeling I may be pleasantly surprise. I actually no doubt plan on going back and playing some levels over as well, just to get some of the grinds I missed on my first play through. I truly cannot remember a time when I beat a SP game and was looking forward to playing it again. Due to my time constraints, I usually beat a SP then move onto the next game. But this for the rest of the year is going to be my go to game. When I have nothing else to play, or when I am just in the mood to play a great game, I will fire it up. I am also heavily considering picking up the PC version. As I believe I will be absolutely brutal with it and having the precision of a keyboard and mouse. Will probably wait for a Steam sale.

But just based on the SP, I give it a very solid 8.5/10.

post-34384-0-47370100-1337827814_thumb.p

SP took me 14 hours and 13 minutes to complete it, and I definitely took my time. If one was just blowing through it all, could have probably been 9-10 hours.

Rockstar does it yet again. I also think thanks to this game, and my recent preferred favorite games over the last year or so, I can say 3rd person shooters are now my favorite genre. I just think they offer way more variety than FPS's. But Rockstar is right up there with Valve as my favorite developer. That is no praise I give lightly, but they really have such a stellar track record. They truly did Remedy proud, and I very much look forward to Max Payne 4.

My one and only complaint, no dream sequence. They really, really missed an opportunity there. Ironically enough, at one point in time Max refers to being in a bad dream, so I think that was without a doubt intentional on Rockstar's behalf.

If it were like the first game, please no. The tightrope sequences were frustrating to no end :p

Great post though, you should really post up a full review on Neogamr! Just a week to go before the game's out on PC.

snipping of great review

def am surprised at the lack of dream sequence as I def remember the dream sequence in the original Max Payne as one of my favorites of all time. The hallway or corridors seemed to stretch as I ran through an endless maze, i think i remember hearing a baby crying (which just made it all that more eerie). Really looking forward to playing through this.