Why do people constantly complain about Metro when it IS easier to use?

It's not the metro UI by itself, it's having to constantly flop between metro and desktop that is annoying.

If it was all one or the other, I would be fine.

Also, I personally feel metro is designed for a touch interface. There no "minimize" app button I can find and keep thinking if this was a tablet / phone there would be a physical "minimum / run in background" button.

In addition, I feel they should have a start button, even if it mimics the windows logo button with metro at the bare minimum.

And this is why the people complaining about metro are being stupid, anyone with half a brain can take the time to think about it and realise that since this is a preview OS there aren't enough apps to cover everyone's usage. As time passes, there will be more apps, and therefore less need to switch back and forth.

Metro is designed for a touch interfaces. Microsoft themselves have said that Metro was a design language created for Windows Phone 7. They've also told developers that if they design Metro apps, then they should be touch first and to embrace Windows 8 Touch technology.

I know others would say otherwise, but it's right there in black and white. From the horse's mouth they say.

bing http://www.microsoft...-phone-7/metro/

boom http://msdn.microsof...s/hh464920.aspx

pow

This isn't a bad thing, touch pads aren't very accurate and I wouldn't mind having larger UI targets that I can easily track to, and no need to rely on click and drag to get things done.

A mouse or particularly a large trackball user won't see benefits from the metro UI, but a trackpad user will. Laptop sales are overtaking desktop sales - in fact I don't recall seeing any desktops for sale in Future Shop or Best Buy. Most people use track pads to interact with the UI, and occasionally a mouse because the trackpad isn't good enough. Wimdows 8 is going to give those users a better interface to work with.

i complain because it scrolls left and right, instead of up and down...

until they make a left and right mouse-wheel, i'll complain...

Just move the mouse to the edge of the screen, and they already have made tilt wheels.

'Cus Metro is butt ugly.

Case closed.

No, Metro is the best thing to happen to UI design since Apple started making faux-3D chrome all over the UI that everyone decided to follow. We're finally getting back to a look that isn't all garish.

Try this example:

- Go to start screen;

- Search any of your files;

- Right-click -> Send to -> whatever;

You can't with Metro. We used to with start menu.

Maybe it's a beta limitation?

I use Windows 8 CP (native install as main os [not production machine]) and I love metro and it is easier to use, but there are a couple of problems with it such as app switching, hidden options, missing features (music and video app- y u no have volume slider and mess up my ID3 tags?) The mail app gets borkey sometimes. Whenever I use it people in outlook always have format issues and have to send a new email instead of just replying to it. I realize this is a beta but I hope they are pullin' ass up in Redmond for Beta 2/RC. I hope to god there is a Beta 2 and they just don't jump to RC.

Just wondering. Metro is easier to use and understand than any previous Windows Interface. I can't see why so many people are so dead-set against it. It doesn't make it harder to open applications, the start menu is still there, application search works better, ect. Tell me what is so bad about it. People use the phase "Tablet Interface on an OS" all the time and it doesn't really mean anything. Metro is not harder to use just because it can be used on both a touchscreen and a computer.

youve obviously missed the point of every other "i hate windows 8" thread. people hate the interface b/c it makes no sense on a laptop or desktop. simple as that.

• Like 2

i complain because it scrolls left and right, instead of up and down...

until they make a left and right mouse-wheel, i'll complain...

doesnt your mouse do left and right qestures with the scroll wheel? i know mine has it where i can tilt it left or right but that might just me a ms thing :p so i have no problem going left or right with my scroll wheel

Actually, he has a good point. From what I read, which is unfortunately a lot ;) ), very few people have fully expressed their reasoning behind the dislike of Windows 8. I say very few because some have given solid reasons as to why they don't like it.

Actually they have. I have yet to see anyone say how it is an improvement on Windows 7. Like the OP here, they just state their opinion, it is good because that is my opinion and "I" like it.

So really, the only opposing reason because it is bad. It is bad because that's my opinion and "I" don't like it.

The only other reasoning I've seen is there's nothing in Windows 8 you can't do that you could do in Windows 7. With extra clicks, drags, screen glides, and generally mandatory shortcut keys to be as efficient as Windows 7.

I would love to se a list of how and why Metro is better, more efficient, and more productive than Windows 7/Taskbar/Startmenu.

youve obviously missed the point of every other "i hate windows 8" thread. people hate the interface b/c it makes no sense on a laptop or desktop. simple as that.

+1

Actually, that wasn't a troll post nor was it ignorant...it is the truth.

Only I speak the truth here. j/k.

• Like 2

It's the fact that metro based apps won't run in a window that I don't like.

If metro is so wonderful like some people say, then why not take metro all the way. If you're going to make such a drastic change to the start menu functionality, then just go across the board metro. Get rid of everything visually that predates the metro UI, if MS has so much faith in Metro put it everywhere!

Keeping desktop users in mind would have meant being able to run metro apps in a window or a start screen that didn't consume all that screen space. I have all this power in my desktop and my laptop and Metro leaves me feeling I can only do a handful of things at a time. Does the metro weather app really need to consume my entire screen space and even then, it consumes more than that, it can't even get all those weather details into one screen.

When I need to switch between and do things while in desktop mode, does metro have to stick out like a sore thumb and take up all that screen space on the left and right hand sides of the screen?

If we're going to run the Metro UI up the flagpole in this manner, stop calling it windows, call it Metro8 or something trendy like that. If you're going to continue with the windows branding then I'd expect one of the very basic things I would be able to do would be running a metro app in a window.

I'm fed up with threads how Metro is phenomenal or how it sucks or... Each user has different expectations about it and no matter how many topics are opened opinions won't change.

Maybe it's a beta limitation?

Maybe. The current truth is that with the old start menu search, you could access a whole lot of options when using the contextual menu (open with, compress, send to, cut, copy, delete, open file location, properties), now it's virtually impossible.

Just wondering. Metro is easier to use and understand than any previous Windows Interface. I can't see why so many people are so dead-set against it. It doesn't make it harder to open applications, the start menu is still there, application search works better, ect. Tell me what is so bad about it. People use the phase "Tablet Interface on an OS" all the time and it doesn't really mean anything. Metro is not harder to use just because it can be used on both a touchscreen and a computer.

How is it easier? How do you get to Control Panel from the Start screen? You have to right-click down near where the Start button is no longer to get a menu of most visited places. The people who found that found it by accident! It's not a matter of it being more difficult, it's more a problem of being intuitive. There's just some features which are simply not easily discoverable. So, no I don't agree with your personal opinion (that's all it is, really) that is easier to use and understand. And it's etc. not ect.

Metro lacks and doesn't provide enough for Desktop users. Also breaks work flow. And also multitasking concept does not exist with Metro. Conclusion, needs to get out from Windows 8.

Metro lacks and doesn't provide enough for Desktop users. Also breaks work flow. And also multitasking concept does not exist with Metro. Conclusion, needs to get out from Windows 8.

I agree. It severely limits my multi tasking capabilities.

Oh look, it's an opinion piece by one of those people that thinks that the surge in tablet sales has doomed the PC industry. Even for his profession a tablet is and always will be woefully inefficient just due to the nature of tablets. Much like they are to my profession and to my technological hobbies. Just like Windows 8.

How is it easier? How do you get to Control Panel from the Start screen? You have to right-click down near where the Start button is no longer to get a menu of most visited places. The people who found that found it by accident! It's not a matter of it being more difficult, it's more a problem of being intuitive. There's just some features which are simply not easily discoverable. So, no I don't agree with your personal opinion (that's all it is, really) that is easier to use and understand. And it's etc. not ect.

Settings charm? The right click wasn't accident, it was demoed IIRC.

what work flow is broken specifically by metro? It has limited "multitasking" if you mean having multiple apps on screen at once.

Conclusion: You don't like metro (and that's ok) but it belongs in Windows 8. ;-)

Settings charm?

From the Start screen he said. The settings charm only offers the 'Control Panel' option if you're on the desktop. On the start, screen, clicking the Settings charm and then 'Settings' only gets you to the settings for the Start screen itself. Clicking 'More Settings' gets you into the Metro settings, but not the full control panel

Right-clicking the lower left works though.

My issue with Windows 8 isn't metro itself. It's the implementation of it. The apps also leave a lot to be desired. IMO, they give off a "that's it?" feel.

From the Start screen he said. The settings charm only offers the 'Control Panel' option if you're on the desktop. On the start, screen, clicking the Settings charm and then 'Settings' only gets you to the settings for the Start screen itself. Clicking 'More Settings' gets you into the Metro settings, but not the full control panel

Right-clicking the lower left works though.

fair enough although settings charm covers most of common control panel entry points so why do you need to open control panel?

If you really need to though,

- type con on start screen and launch

- if you use control panel that often, just pin it to start screen?

It's really that easy. Are people really troubled by such trivial stuff? :/

• Like 1