The Official NHL 03'/'04 Season Thread

Hey, Hey Hockeytown!

Well everyone, it's that time of year! Time for our players to take the ice and me to start my ranting and raving about the season...

For an opening day TV lineup (Thanks to my NHL Center Ice Schedule) is...

Anaheim at Dallas

(Carrier : ESPN)

Minnesota at Chicago

New Jersey (Defending Stanley Cup Champions) at Boston

For tonight, I can only say....

Lets go Stars! ;)

Eternal Death and Burning in Hell to the Mighty Schmucks!

Lets go Thrashers!!! we may have lost Heatley for god knows how long, and we are mourning the tragic loss of dan snyder, but weve still got a good young nucleus.. ive still got high hopes for this team under bob hartley, i think this is the year we make the playoffs for the first time.

For some reason i like the wild quite a bit, sucks they dont have gaborik right now though. Without him they can do well just not as well. Other than that I hope the senators kick some ass this year.

Hey, Hey Hockeytown!

Well everyone, it's that time of year! Time for our players to take the ice and me to start my ranting and raving about the season...

For an opening day TV lineup (Thanks to my NHL Center Ice Schedule) is...

Anaheim at Dallas

Minnesota at Chicago

New Jersey (Defending Stanley Cup Champions) at Boston

For tonight, I can only say....

Lets go Stars! ;)

Eternal Death and Burning in Hell to the Mighty Schmucks!

sorry buddy but Anaheim is going to WIN that game :D

GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahem.. go AVALANCHE!! Sakic + Forsberg + Selanee + Kariya + Hejduk + Blake + Nikolishin = Stanley Cup

as for my home team the Montreal Canadians... Jose Theodore + Their Defense = Last Place

For some reason i like the wild quite a bit, sucks they dont have gaborik right now though. Without him they can do well just not as well. Other than that I hope the senators kick some ass this year.

I am also worried we don't have Gaborik. What is going on with him, contract issues? I know the rest of the team can step it up and score some goals. Our defense is killer this year and Roloson and Fernandez showed they could take playoffs pressure. I will be no where else but sitting in front of the TV watching the game tonight. GO WILD!

it's gonna be interesting to see how atlanta reacts...

i think if there is any coach that can guide a team through this, its bob hartley. im thinking that with pasi nurminen and a healthy byron dafoe in net, if we can trade Hurme for a high scoring wing to replace heatley for the time being, we should be alright.. the defense is still a bit shaky, but i think it will be stronger with Garnet Exelby this year. after hartley took over in december, we finished 5 games over .500.. if not for that 0-9 start last season we would have made the playoffs. first game is friday against columbus.. i cant wait.

ahem.. go AVALANCHE!! Sakic + Forsberg + Selanee + Kariya + Hejduk + Blake + Nikolishin = Stanley Cup

Colorado fans keep neglecting to mention their problem this year...

Goaltending

Hrm...hey Avs fans? Want a partially used Goalie, seems the league is great at picking up Detroit's Cast Aways... (Fed, Ozzy...)

Go Avalanche!

Yes, that's right, the Avalanche fans are gonna start coming out now! But I'm not gonna be the guy sitting here on Neowin ranting about how much I hate the Detroit Red Wings. I'm from Chicago, born and raised on the Blackhawks, so naturally, Detroit fans can understand I was taught to loathe the Red Wings, and as an Avalanche fan, I have witnessed over the years the tremendous rivalry unfold between Colorado and Detroit.

I will give credit where credit is due, in that, Detroit really does look good on paper this year, but that's on paper, I mean, they looked good last year too, and got beat flat out by Giguere. Defensively, they are a bit older, but got a good lineup. I would say I've seen Hatcher make far too many mistakes, and he probably could have got a little higher +/- even though it was still 37 last season.

Goaltending, Hasek was poor in preseason, hopefully those kinks will work out for him, otherwise, I'll laugh all the way to the Cup, and they can probably go out and get a good right wing for Cujo since they are only sitting on three RW's for the season right now, and they aren't spectacular, with an aging Hull, McCarty, and Roest. At LW, they are stellar, and adding Whitney, who I have thought for years has been underrated, he's a great passer, reads the play well, and a fine addition. Zetterberg, I'd love to have him. I think they are weak at Center, however, and I know you all think Yzerman is God in Detroit, but he hasn't done ****! He's turning into another Pavel Bure with knee injuries at the most unopportune time, he needs to retire. Draper is speedy, but doesn't produce enough. Datsyuk will have to step it up.

Avalanche on the other hand, we have a goaltending situation, but our scoring led us through pre-season, and the goaltending averages 2.00 GAA in the preseason, not too shabby at all, and pre-season doesn't really mean a whole lot, but it did show Kariya and Selanne are back on the same page again, I don't think it will be a real factor with a great defense that we have as well. Not to mention, the best 2 lines in hockey, Tanguay-Forsberg-Hedjuk and Kariya-Sakic-Selanne, along with the third line complimenting them with a red hot Nikolishin coming out of nowhere in pre-season and scoring about 3x what he should.

I'm really hesitant about having 4 rookies make the roster though, damn, that's gonna be a test. It's gonna be a good season though, and I hope the Blackhawks do well as well, although doubtful with Mike Smith and freakin Wurtz still not wanting to let go of the team. Let Dusty Baker run the team, woohoo!

Game On!!!

Lets Go Islanders. (Y) :D

This Thread is biased, don't expect me back in it.

nice touch cara.. "lets go red wings" as a sub-subject.

screw this.. :sleep:

Edited by xStainDx

Game On!!!

Lets Go Islanders. (Y) :D

This Thread is biased, don't expect me back in it.

nice touch cara.. "lets go red wings" as a sub-subject.

screw this..?:sleep::

Your loss!:))

How a thread can be biased when other members post their thoughts I'm a hint baffled but I've learned not to argue with peoples 'logic' here on Neowin. LOL.

LRoling>

I look forward to you here in this thread! You made a very good, logical, well thought out first post in this thread!:yes::

Even though I will say, Yzerman is more than the numbers...he's the Captain and just being on the ice has a positive effect on the team. Given that this will most likely be Stevie's last year, don't count that out as a motivator for the team who loves their Captain to get him one final cup.:))

Nice to see a lot of old faces here!:))

LRolling: nice post man :)

no Habs fans here? it's ok, u might be ashamed to go to the games but this is the internet, let us (or me) know how u feel about our ****ty team this year! TRADE THEODORE, BRING BACK VIGNAULT! The only good thing we have going for us this year is Bob Gainey as GM :)

what do you all think about the CBA? is there gonna be a lockout next year? will teams be contracted? the nhl has come a long way and it would be a shame for all that work to go to waste because of a lockout.. a lot of the fans in previously non-hockey markets like atlanta, nashville, florida, dallas, phoenix, etc. would be lost and im sure it would alienate some loyal fans as well.. hopefully the nhl will take a hint from major league baseball and get this thing worked out without a strike or lockout