User beats Windows Phone in speed test, denied prize "just because"

Typical Microsoft. Typical Ben the PC Guy response. Android clearly won. No doubt Microsoft will pay the $1000 to get rid of the PR nightmare. Stay tuned.

Android user cheated because he didn't tell the lady that he already had 2 weather widgets on his home screen.

Unless you are being sarcastic, how is that cheating, did she disclose that she had deviated from the standard settings and added an additional tile to show the weather too?

Android user cheated because he didn't tell the lady that he already had 2 weather widgets on his home screen.

Microsoft lady cheated because she pre-setup 2 live weather tiles on her home screen, and then claimed the Android user didn't win "just because". Live weather tiles in WP is not a default configuration and requires a marketplace download.

His phone was jail broken and modded to hell and back only to be fast at this ONE task. It proves nothing except you can mod your phone to make it a weather station able to show weather a fraction faster than a multi purpose phone.

Call me when he can do it faster on a OOB phone.

You are a joke. It wasn't "jail broken" or should I say rooted. That is the beauty of Android. You can customize the lock screen WITHOUT being rooted. Typical Microsoft fanboy. You think you know how the competition product works but CLEARLY you don't. Maybe you're just trolling. You're IGNORANCE was perfect example of the many trolls and Microsoft fanboys I encounter on this site. I knew someone like you would be FOOLISH enough to write what you did.

Thank you.

You are wrong; read the rules. Plus, his Microsoft opponent had the same setup with the difference that she did not had the option to swipe away the screen.

The guy doesn't deserve a rematch. He deserves the prize.

Microsoft lady cheated because she pre-setup 2 live weather tiles on her home screen, and then claimed the Android user didn't win "just because". Live weather tiles in WP is not a default configuration and requires a marketplace download.

Whereas they are built into most android installs. So technically speaking in that sense, the Android install was less modified than the WP7 one.

Guys stop all this Biased behavior. Negativity will bring you down. It's better to learn to dislike than to learn to hate. :-)

A true "Smoked by Windows" competition would be to get someone else (from the "audience") to use a Windows Phone and then get someone that uses an Android or an iPhone.

I bet you that your typical user of Windows Phone would still fail in beating the Smoked by Windows challenge since the person who is actually running the challenge has been doing it so frequently and they have the tiles and scenarios setup to accommodate their needs.

Like I said from the very beginning of this dumb "Marketing Campaign". Only an idiot would see these commercials and think "oh wow, Windows Phone is so much better".

Who turns off their lock screen anyway? It's like having a race to see who can start their car faster, but you've removed the door to your car just so you can get in faster.

Who turns off their lock screen anyway? It's like having a race to see who can start their car faster, but you've removed the door to your car just so you can get in faster.

Lots of people actually. What security does a swipe do that disabling it doesn't?. It's like.. Having the car door closed but unlocked, vs having the door sitting open.

I guess someone who wants to get in to theirhomescreen faster. Who has 2 weather tiles set up anyway? Someone that is trying to prove a point and get the specified job done as quickly as possible.

Guys, this post is bogus. You don't know who to believe here. Don't be Bias and you will understand my point. There is no video or any evidence to prove who won. Btw, I love both platforms.

I already had two weather widgets on my home screen: one for my current location (San Jose, CA) and another for Berkeley, CA

My opponent finished a split-second later. She had two live tiles on her home screen displaying the weather of two different cities as well.

She probably wanted a rematch and told him to delete both widgets as to start from scratch. I am skepticle with anyone who brags.

From the story, it sounds like the guy won, fair and square. I have a WP7 device (HTC Trophy) and a Galaxy Nexus. Both are fast devices with fast OS's, but when it comes to doing any action, Android is almost always faster. As much as I love live tiles, they don't have the same flexibility as widgets.

Guys, this post is bogus. You don't know who to believe here. Don't be Bias and you will understand my point. There is no video or any evidence to prove who won. Btw, I love both platforms.

I already had two weather widgets on my home screen: one for my current location (San Jose, CA) and another for Berkeley, CA

My opponent finished a split-second later. She had two live tiles on her home screen displaying the weather of two different cities as well.

Fair enough. Maybe they should have hacked their Windows Phone to display the weather on the lock screen.

She probably wanted a rematch and told him to delete both widgets as to start from scratch.

Why should he have to? He didn't break the rules, so admit defeat and fork the price.

Also she had two weather tiles pinned, she would have no right to ask him to remove the widgets.

Maybe they should have hacked their Windows Phone to display the weather on the lock screen.

Hack the WP just to achieve a draw?

Of course Microsoft stomped their feet like a child and denied the winner his prize. As if Windows Phone needs more bad press. :rolleyes:

Then again, with 4% market share and a multi-billion-dollar investment wasted on Nokia I'd be apprehensive too.

I'm sorry but this is really a draw. Trying to compare a less than 1 second swipe of a lock screen to one without a lock screen is like saying who can pick up their phone out of the pocket the fastest. The reality is, by the time you look at the screen to read it, you can already have unlocked it just like the other guy. I do it all the time.

The slower motion is pressing the power button first so if that is required on the Android device as well, it is a truly a draw. Now, if it isn't required and you just take the phone out of your pocket and no actions whatsoever, I would give it a win.

I'm sorry but this is really a draw. Trying to compare a less than 1 second swipe of a lock screen to one without a lock screen is like saying who can pick up their phone out of the pocket the fastest. The reality is, by the time you look at the screen to read it, you can already have unlocked it just like the other guy. I do it all the time.

The slower motion is pressing the power button first so if that is required on the Android device as well, it is a truly a draw. Now, if it isn't required and you just take the phone out of your pocket and no actions whatsoever, I would give it a win.

It's a poor challenge, but it was choosen by the MS store staff. Considering they have set up their WP to show two live tiles in the home screen, what other time difference did they expect?

Of course they expected the participant to not have two weather widgets and score a win. If we aren't to count the time difference between pressing power and unlocking the screen, what was the point of the challenge? That would mean the MS staff picked a challenge were there's no way you can win.

I'm sorry but this is really a draw. Trying to compare a less than 1 second swipe of a lock screen to one without a lock screen is like saying who can pick up their phone out of the pocket the fastest.

As described in the article it's one action (Android) vs 2 (Windows Phone). So technically Android won in this case. I think it shows bad sportsmanship by the employees and invalidates the whole "Smoked by Windows Phone" campaign. How many times has this happened before and been swept under the carpet? It makes one wonder.

If I could do it on my iPhone I would

It's an option built right into Android. Do you even have an option to disable it on Windows Phone?

As described in the article it's one action (Android) vs 2 (Windows Phone). So technically Android won in this case. I think it shows bad sportsmanship by the employees and invalidates the whole "Smoked by Windows Phone" campaign. How many times has this happened before and been swept under the carpet? It makes one wonder.

I'm confused, can't Windows Phone's slide unlock be disabled? If yes, that guy isn't really winning, let the phones be set the same way and see how long it takes for the OS to show up the info, that's how I'd measure it. 1 vs 2 actions do not prove Android is faster, it just proves Android was set with one less action and WP wasn't. He's just trying to win by finding flaws in the rules, he doesn't really get the point of this competition.