English (United Kingdom)... where did it go?

I cant help myself, and always have to check when installing software.. It used to be an option, but seems increasingly rare, and I cant actually remember the last time I saw it!

I am English... period.. lol, sorry, full stop! Im certainly not English (united States), but for the purpose of being able to see words spelled the way they should be, where is English (United Kingdom)?

Friday rant over!

I don't think I've had this problem. Or maybe I have tried to find the English (United Kingdom) option and just settled for English (United States). The only time it would bug me is with spell check, but any program that has a spell check has English (United Kingdom) as an option for me.

It's one of the sad facts of life though that language evolves, and at some point everyone will just speak U.S. English. I heard of an Indian child that moved to the U.S. and failed a spelling competition because he spelt colour with a "u."

Aluminium.

I approve this post, I actually had something to install for a user yesterday and noticed the only English option was English (Canada) - This aggravates me.

It probably annoys the US that their language is English, after all they do see themselves as the only country that is of any importance. It probably won't be too long before "American" is being taught in our schools due too their cheap culture continuing to poison and destroy our traditions.

None taken, seeing as English originates from England, by the English people, who speak English.

Indeed, In India we use British English. but i think US English is easier, just my opinion.

Good riddance to it, I say. All of us from England and other countries that speak British English, Australian English, and other such variants should just speak American English.

Good riddance to it, I say. All of us from England and other countries that speak British English, Australian English, and other such variants should just speak American English.

What a dull world that would be. Also, you seem to be confusing written and spoken English. Which particular USian dialect would you have us all speaking? For instance, would contractions like y'all be allowed?

What a dull world that would be. Also, you seem to be confusing written and spoken English. Which particular USian dialect would you have us all speaking? For instance, would contractions like y'all be allowed?

No, I'm referring to written English. I did use the word 'speak', but I also referenced some different types of English, with the hope it would be obvious I was referring to how it is written. I'm specifically referring to the spelling of words. Using the letter 'z' instead of 's', not placing a 'u' in some words.

There are also dialects of British English?there are dialects of most languages. I'm referring to the spelling of words as recognised by the most credible dictionary in America.

Why do you believe the world would be dull if we simply had some consistency in terms of written English? I haven't ever credited the difference between British English and American English as the one thing that ensures this world is exciting rather than dull.

No, I'm referring to written English. I did use the word 'speak', but I also referenced some different types of English, with the hope it would be obvious I was referring to how it is written. I'm specifically referring to the spelling of words. Using the letter 'z' instead of 's', not placing a 'u' in some words.

There are also dialects of British English?there are dialects of most languages. I'm referring to the spelling of words as recognised by the most credible dictionary in America.

Why do you believe the world would be dull if we simply had some consistency in terms of written English? I haven't ever credited the difference between British English and American English as the one thing that ensures this world is exciting rather than dull.

English is an evolving language and the different spellings in British English provide you with an insight into the history behind the language. Creating a universal, homogenous spelling may simplify things for a small number of people (does anyone really find British English difficult to spell/understand) but it makes the language less interesting (i.e. more dull) as a result.

I'm not sure why you think Webster's dictionary is any more authoratitive than British equivalents such as the Oxford. I also think it's strange that you want to standardise spelling but seem happy to use a non-standard definition of the word speak :p

I still haven't figured out how English (Australian) is different to English (UK) in msword..

It's generally not in terms of spelling. However an Australian English dictionary should include spellings/definitions of words that are commonly used in Australia but not elsewhere. For instance, bogun.

I also think it's strange that you want to standardise spelling but seem happy to use a non-standard definition of the word speak :p

I was thinking that as well.

Honor - Honour

Color - Colour

Centre - Center

That's pretty much the crappy difference. That british "centre" makes me cringe tbh.

It annoys me on the iPad I can choose between English (United States) and get American English spell-check with a "$" sign on the keyboard, or choose English (United Kingdom) with British English spell-check but have to have a "?" sign on the keyboard instead. What about non-British countries that use Dollars like Australia? Have to fiddle with the language options and keyboard layouts quite a bit to get it to work right.

Or Gmail. Choose US English with US Date format but AM/PM time or British English with correct dates but in 24 hour time. Have to use a labs feature to customise it. In Australia we use DD/MM/YYYY date format (which makes sense as the units from smallest to largest) and 12-hour (AM/PM) time.

Windows takes quite a few steps to setup the language as well that a lot of PCs I use are not set up correctly.

It probably annoys the US that their language is English, after all they do see themselves as the only country that is of any importance. It probably won't be too long before "American" is being taught in our schools due too their cheap culture continuing to poison and destroy our traditions.

No, it annoys us way more when people are full of prejudice and make grand sweeping assumptions about an entire country. Entirely unfair, since you have arrogant and ignorant twats in all countries, anywhere you go. I do thank you for making my point in advance of me even saying it ;)

We are losing our culture with it being diluted with all the immigrants coming here, while I concede that English is a melting pot of different languages why should we have to adopt American English, why cant they adopt British English?

We are losing our culture with it being diluted with all the immigrants coming here, while I concede that English is a melting pot of different languages why should we have to adopt American English, why cant they adopt British English?

Ironic considering that English wouldn't be the language it is today without all those terrible immigrants ;)

Ironic considering that English wouldn't be the language it is today without all those terrible immigrants ;)

Yup, I even conceded the fact because I knew someone would bring it up. I never said immigrants were bad I just said what makes British people British is being diluted down pandering to all the different cultures and religions that come here forcing their culture on the British.

We live in a time where its considered racist to fly St Georges cross or the Union Flag just in case it offends someone.

I am happy that I live in a country that people can escape to from persecution and the want/need for a better life but not at the cost of my culture/heritage.

Yup, I even conceded the fact because I knew someone would bring it up. I never said immigrants were bad I just said what makes British people British is being diluted down pandering to all the different cultures and religions that come here forcing their culture on the British.

We live in a time where its considered racist to fly St Georges cross or the Union Flag just in case it offends someone.

I am happy that I live in a country that people can escape to from persecution and the want/need for a better life but not at the cost of my culture/heritage.

That would be because it's typically only racists and thugs who feel the need to fly St Georges and Union flags. I wouldn't worry though because that's generally the case all over the world. After all, you know what they say about patriotism and scoundrels.

Your culture/heritage isn't going anywhere and nobody's forcing any other culture on you.

It's the same thing here with American or especially Confederate flags--people want to assume racism and negativity instead of just national or regional pride in ones culture and heritage. It's meant to be a positive thing. We are also considered racist and bigoted for not wanting illegal immigrants to come in and mess things up like what you talked about. If you want to come here for a better life, great! If you want to bring all the bad things here that made your home country worth running away from, that seems to be defeating the purpose and spreading the problem.

You see, despite the anti-American sentiments coming from a lot of folks, we aren't so different, you and I. :)