English (United Kingdom)... where did it go?

You sound like a German complaining that they can't fly a Nazi flag :rolleyes:

Annnnd my point is proven.

Annnnd my point is proven.

If you can't understand why the confederate flag is seen by many as a symbol of hate then I think you'll find that it's my point that has been proven.

If you can't understand why the confederate flag is seen by many as a symbol of hate then I think you'll find that it's my point that has been proven.

"by many", yes. At one time I may have even agreed with you. However, I've lived in the southern US for a while now, and I have met these folks, I've asked a lot of questions and observed things. I've seen plenty of people who simply see it as a symbol of the south, how it is different from the north (and it really is), the overall gentler, more laid-back and kind culture down here. "Southern hospitality", as they say. Many people who have the flags or the T-shirts with it on there or whatever are the sweetest people you've ever met, they wouldn't hurt a fly, much less another person, no matter what race they are. Heck, I know some black people who wear it--one comes to mind whom I spent time with just last weekend. The point is, when you really see this stuff for yourself and understand the truth instead of what the media and a small racist vocal minority wants you to think, you can have a massive change of heart and paradigm. I do not disagree that there are some bad examples and unfortunately there is some hate out there, but it's not nearly as widespread as you seem to have heard.

• Like 2

No, it annoys us way more when people are full of prejudice and make grand sweeping assumptions about an entire country. Entirely unfair, since you have arrogant and ignorant twats in all countries, anywhere you go. I do thank you for making my point in advance of me even saying it ;)

This post sums up the entire thread for me. Some of our British friends here are as guilty of arrogance as they keep accusing Americans of. Keeping the delusions of grandeur alive, are we? You're grossly overestimating the importance of your mediocre island nation these days.

+3 Charisma: You must be as frustrated over the assumptions Brits who have never been there make about the part of the US you live in as I am about their comments towards my home country...

To come back to the original point of the thread - it's hardly a big deal whether the locale of an application is en_GB or en_US. Who the hell cares as long as it is English? Not me. I use the British spelling, yes, but that's mostly because of what I have been taught in school. Still, I couldn't care less if a menu entry says 'favourites' or favorites'.

I don't think I've had this problem. Or maybe I have tried to find the English (United Kingdom) option and just settled for English (United States). The only time it would bug me is with spell check, but any program that has a spell check has English (United Kingdom) as an option for me.

It's one of the sad facts of life though that language evolves, and at some point everyone will just speak U.S. English. I heard of an Indian child that moved to the U.S. and failed a spelling competition because he spelt colour with a "u."

Aluminium.

So sad considering English UK founded American English.

It probably annoys the US that their language is English, after all they do see themselves as the only country that is of any importance. It probably won't be too long before "American" is being taught in our schools due too their cheap culture continuing to poison and destroy our traditions.

I hope not. I mean im not saying England is the leader of the world but we did found English.

None taken, seeing as English originates from England, by the English people, who speak English.

Right on.

Indeed, In India we use British English. but i think US English is easier, just my opinion.

I dont get why there virutally the same. Do you not use international English?

Good riddance to it, I say. All of us from England and other countries that speak British English, Australian English, and other such variants should just speak American English.

Your joking I hope.

What is the deal with that in america your country today is the United States of America get over it.

Here is what I was presented with when re-installing Steam.

Yer now that little error gets to me it should show the English flag or the UK flag not the US.

I can't say it particularly bothers me to read US or UK (or other) English. Partly I just have to get used to it, working for a US company.

In the end the differences are minimal - the much greater linguistic differences are the actual words and dialects used, not how to spell it. If you start spelling it 'color', it doesn't mean you're surrendering to something bad - because the meaning (both literally and metaphorically) is still the same.

It's a nicety for country-specific spelling, but I don't think it's a particularly bad sign to be missing it. I'd love for everything to have enGB versions, but I'd rather time be spent on better software features than it.

Right now, languages have pretty much never been more stable. That US and UK English differ so little after 300 years is impressive.

Sylar, sure England was a primary source of English ... but it's not the sole source. And Steam should be showing the US flag, because it's US English in use.

I can't say it particularly bothers me to read US or UK (or other) English. Partly I just have to get used to it, working for a US company.

In the end the differences are minimal - the much greater linguistic differences are the actual words and dialects used, not how to spell it. If you start spelling it 'color', it doesn't mean you're surrendering to something bad - because the meaning (both literally and metaphorically) is still the same.

It's a nicety for country-specific spelling, but I don't think it's a particularly bad sign to be missing it. I'd love for everything to have enGB versions, but I'd rather time be spent on better software features than it.

Right now, languages have pretty much never been more stable. That US and UK English differ so little after 300 years is impressive.

Indeed I do agree however I wouldnt like people to think RE the installation of Steam English is American.

Kirkburn, thank you for being so wonderfully reasonable :) Looks like you have your priorities straight and plenty of common sense. Your Neowin member title is quite apt. Cheers :)

Kirkburn, thank you for being so wonderfully reasonable :) Looks like you have your priorities straight and plenty of common sense. Your Neowin member title is quite apt. Cheers :)

:)

I should probably also mention my fianc?e is American, doing drama (and English literature) at a UK University. The US/UK spelling issue is the kind of thing she's very familiar with... I believe she generally writes with UK spellings here cause it's the norm - but not because it'd be wrong to use US spellings.

And Steam should be showing the US flag, because it's US English in use.

But it irritates me when it spells tonnes of words wrong, I have a spell-checker add-on for IE, but it's American English, you know how irritating it is seeing it underline

colour

defence

aluminium

favour

post-350302-0-62544700-1334335749.png

• Like 1

But it irritates me when it spells tonnes of words wrong, I have a spell-checker add-on for IE, but it's American English, you know how irritating it is seeing it underline

colour

defence

aluminium

favour

I know exactly what you mean. Those are all correct ways to spell those words, but because they aren't the American English ways to spell them, they are, apparently, wrong.

No offence. I believe, there should be just one English.

There was until it was bastardised by the U.S. But I agree, we should standardise on a single written form. It's not possible for speech because it varies too much from place to place. The french, spanish, and italians do it, so why not British/American?

There was until it was bastardised by the U.S. But I agree, we should standardise on a single written form. It's not possible for speech because it varies too much from place to place. The french, spanish, and italians do it, so why not British/American?

Don't worry, it's being further bastardized by both the American youth and more or less the youth in every English speaking region.

Don't worry, it's being further bastardized by both the American youth and more or less the youth in every English speaking region.

wut r u tlking abt? :p

There was until it was bastardised by the U.S.

Absolute rubbish. There has never been a 'single' correct version of English. France manages it through laws, which only apply to French controlled areas - I doubt that prevents area specific differences. And evidently since the US and UK have different governments, they're not going to apply a single law.

Edit: aha. Quebec is a good example. Also, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_French

Certainly it annoys me to have a spellchecker doing that ... but that's the spellchecker's fault. (I have the enGB dictionary on my Firefox, for example.). And they're not 'wrong', just different.

It's been being 'bastardized' ever since humans started communicating.

It's generally not in terms of spelling. However an Australian English dictionary should include spellings/definitions of words that are commonly used in Australia but not elsewhere. For instance, bogun.

You mean bogan? Yeah, you're right, the UK dict doesn't recognise it. Although, it's interesting that it also doesn't recognise "chav" :D