Metro Transparency

You mean like this? :rolleyes:

Or this?

Because I just LOVE having 16x16 icons on my HDTV screen. :rolleyes:

You mean like this?

68440ea7-68ec-4e2f-ad4f-b33006455983_56.jpg

Or like this?

Congested-Start-Up-Screen-of-Windows-8-Metro-UI-Flopped-2.jpg

Because I just LOVE having a flat, bland, fullscreen background with 32x32 icons obscuring my whole desktop on my HDTV screen. :rolleyes:

The most annoying thing I find is that if I want to launch an app by typing its name i have to type an entire word.

For example:

Win7 I can hit the win key type inter and hit enter and it will launch internet explorer.

Win 8 I hit the win key and I have to type the entire word "internet" before it pops up.

REALLY BLOODY ANNOYING. Although back on topic I don't feel the transparency is required. Sorry.

You mean like this?

Or like this?

Because I just LOVE having a flat fullscreen background with 32x32 icons obscuring my whole desktop on my HDTV screen. :rolleyes:

Thats the right way of showing off the start menu ! So clean too :)

The most annoying thing I find is that if I want to launch an app by typing its name i have to type an entire word.

For example:

Win7 I can hit the win key type inter and hit enter and it will launch internet explorer.

Win 8 I hit the win key and I have to type the entire word "internet" before it pops up.

REALLY BLOODY ANNOYING. Although back on topic I don't feel the transparency is required. Sorry.

Annoying yes, it's also wrong. Win8 will give results from the first letter and on. De and I have device manager, ph and I have photoshop, up and I have windows update and so on.

Thats the right way of showing off the start menu ! So clean too :)

No it's not. He's showing off a bran new fresh install start menu, with NO pinned favorites, versus the all apps section of the start screen. It's not comparable in the least.

The start screen is comparable to the pinned favorites, the all apps is comparable to all programs, and as you can see in that screenshots, the all apps in the start screen, is far more organized and easy to navigate than the tiered nightmare in the start menu.

I dont see how the start menu is worst. When win 8 comes out all of a sudden the start menu is the worst thing invented. Give me a break. It basically works the same as the start screen but with a better UI. To be honest the start screen is a lot more organize its the list goes from up to down instead of a bunch of icons spread across the screen from left to right. Put simply. all we do is search for what we need. How often would we have to go to the all programs menu to look for a program? Like the other posted mention above. The Windows 7 start menu wins with best results when searching. I dont see the need to type the whole name of the application I'm looking for.

You mean like this?

Or like this?

Because I just LOVE having a flat, bland, fullscreen background with 32x32 icons obscuring my whole desktop on my HDTV screen. :rolleyes:

You mean like this:

himalayan03.jpg

or like this:

11-Pictures-Of-Dogs-Smiling-Like-Bosses.jpg

At least try and compare the same thing :rolleyes:

You mean like this:

himalayan03.jpg

or like this:

11-Pictures-Of-Dogs-Smiling-Like-Bosses.jpg

At least try and compare the same thing :rolleyes:

The cat being the better looking UI and the dog being the ugly UI :rofl:

I dont see how the start menu is worst. When win 8 comes out all of a sudden the start menu is the worst thing invented. Give me a break. It basically works the same as the start screen but with a better UI. To be honest the start screen is a lot more organize its the list goes from up to down instead of a bunch of icons spread across the screen from left to right. Put simply. all we do is search for what we need. How often would we have to go to the all programs menu to look for a program? Like the other posted mention above. The Windows 7 start menu wins with best results when searching. I dont see the need to type the whole name of the application I'm looking for.

I agree. I do not know what is going on lately. The MINUTE Windows 8 CP was released people began to say the desktop interface we grew up with for almost 20 years now HAS to DIE. If the interface does not change, desktop computers are dead, there is NO way people would EVER use the 9x interface anymore. I mean come on. It does not HAVE to change. That is what irritates me. Give me one good reason why the desktop (note: desktop) interface HAS to change? So Microsoft products are consistent? It does not have to be that way. Because we might not be using keyboards and mice in 20 years? Well I am sorry, that is 20 years later.

We grew up with being able to learn how to concentrate on things while the start menu was active. The interface introduced in Windows 95 is in my opinion a much superior interface on the desktop. If I had the choice to go back to Windows 95, or use Windows 8, I would chose Windows 95. I am not the only person that feels this way too. Most of us love the floating windows UI design and would never go away from it. I really hate to say it since I always upgrade and need the latest stuff, but I will probably stick with Windows 7 until something better comes out.

I cannot tell you how much I hate having the start menu take up my entire 27" screen. I could not even stand XP on a few people's computers because it took the whole screen. What is so horrible about options? Keep the "Start Screen" metro, I do not care. But I would like the start menu back. Make the start menu metro, again I do not care. The UI is okay. But those of us that are trained to stay focused on something while looking at the start menu should get an option to have a smaller version.

No one said the start menu is the worst thing ever. Saying that the start screen is best does not mean the start menu is the worst, just that it is relegated to second place ass far as win 7 goes.

I agree. I do not know what is going on lately. The MINUTE Windows 8 CP was released people began to say the desktop interface we grew up with for almost 20 years now HAS to DIE. If the interface does not change, desktop computers are dead, there is NO way people would EVER use the 9x interface anymore. I mean come on. It does not HAVE to change. That is what irritates me. Give me one good reason why the desktop (note: desktop) interface HAS to change? So Microsoft products are consistent? It does not have to be that way. Because we might not be using keyboards and mice in 20 years? Well I am sorry, that is 20 years later.

By our logic we should still use dos or a the very least the windows 3.11 program manager. Sorry, the world needs to evolve, if we can change the desktop to something new and better, we should, we shouldn't stick to something old just because it's old.

Oh and the metro screen works great with mouse and keyboard, and especially good on big screens, so your arguments against it are moot. In fact some things on it is designed to work better wi mouse and keyboard than touch.

By our logic we should still use dos or a the very least the windows 3.11 program manager. Sorry, the world needs to evolve, if we can change the desktop to something new and better, we should, we shouldn't stick to something old just because it's old.

Oh and the metro screen works great with mouse and keyboard, and especially good on big screens, so your arguments against it are moot. In fact some things on it is designed to work better wi mouse and keyboard than touch.

I am sorry, but history tells us that we evolved from DOS for the BETTER. You cannot say going from Windows 7 to Windows 8 is the same as evolving from DOS. From DOS we evolved to where I can have countless windows open and visible on three 30" screens. Between Windows 7 and 8, we are "evolving" as some people say but it is not for the better. I will not be able to increase my productivity with Windows 8. In fact, it will decrease my productivity with what I do. And what is the advice that people say: "Stick with Windows 7" but they say it horribly. So please, do not tell me to change the way I work or how I use the operating systems.

The reason I am complaining this much is because it is stated that the desktop mode is only there for compatibility. That means, eventually, we will not even get a choice. Well I am sorry, I need to have the free floating windows interface to do most of the stuff I do.

But those of us that are trained to stay focused on something while looking at the start menu should get an option to have a smaller version.

Forgive me, but when you're focusing on the Start Menu, you're not focused on your open windows. You think you are, but you're not. It's like driving while texting, you're focused on your phone, while *you think* you're still focused on the road, but you're really not.

And what are those somethings? The start menu allows you to easily shutdown the computer, log off, open control panel search for better results, open pin applications, open network settings. Now please compare that with the metro screen.

I am sorry, but history tells us that we evolved from DOS for the BETTER. You cannot say going from Windows 7 to Windows 8 is the same as evolving from DOS. From DOS we evolved to where I can have countless windows open and visible on three 30" screens. Between Windows 7 and 8, we are "evolving" as some people say but it is not for the better. I will not be able to increase my productivity with Windows 8. In fact, it will decrease my productivity with what I do. And what is the advice that people say: "Stick with Windows 7" but they say it horribly. So please, do not tell me to change the way I work or how I use the operating systems.

The reason I am complaining this much is because it is stated that the desktop mode is only there for compatibility. That means, eventually, we will not even get a choice. Well I am sorry, I need to have the free floating windows interface to do most of the stuff I do.

Last I checked I can have as many windows as I want open on my windows 8. Maybe you're confusing windows 8 with something else ? WOA8 perhaps?

Change for the sake of it isn't evolution, Windows 8 does nothing better useability wise than Windows 7, if anything is a de-evolution, going back to Windows 3.11 style. All for the sake of trying to take some iPad marketshare.

You know what's funny? A lot of people are pretending they LOVE Windows 8, but still, they're trying to find ways to "fix" it... ;)

Just saying... no need to insult me :p

Most software can be improved. I love a lot of software in which I can still see future possible improvements. I don't see lovers of Windows 8 trying to explain how things can be "fixed," I see them suggesting how things can be improved.

If you can't see possible future improvements in software you love, there's a problem :)

And what are those somethings? The start menu allows you to easily shutdown the computer, log off, open control panel search for better results, open pin applications, open network settings. Now please compare that with the metro screen.

If I ever where to shut down my computer I would at most do it once a day, same with log off, it doesn't need prime real estate one click away, waste of good space. Besides that, like every other computer, my computer also has this button on it,clicking it shuts it down, I use it sometimes on the laptop when I don't just close the lid to put it to sleep.

As for control panel, the right click I the lower left corner power menu is a far quicker way to get to the control panel, along with other management tools.

Search for better results ? Umm click the star button in the lower left or on the keyboard, and star typing, same powerfull and fast search as windows 7, only improved and faster, and now settings and apps and docments are separated into different categories for convenience, about time.

The start screen IS where you pin apps. Then you have all apps nder that again, all categories and separated into folder categories like the old start menu, just more organized.

And how often do you use network settings ? If ou do it often, why? You only need it the first time you connect to a network, and then it pops up anyway. And even so, if you're on the desktop it's just as accessible as it is on windows 7, identical in fact.

Forgive me, but when you're focusing on the Start Menu, you're not focused on your open windows. You think you are, but you're not. It's like driving while texting, you're focused on your phone, while *you think* you're still focused on the road, but you're really not.

Um actually yes I am. I guess you never heard of peripheral vision, or does everybody have tunnel vision without knowing it? Or what about helping somebody through email how to get somewhere from Control Panel? Do you expect them to write it down instead of moving their eyes slightly to the email? You give a list of long instructions in an email that requires the start screen to be opened. They open it and perform some stuff, but then forget the rest. The need to close the start screen, read the rest of the email, and try again?

If I am looking at the start menu in pre WIndows 8, and I am a network admin with some networking graphs open. I am looking at the start menu looking for a program or something. All of the sudden I see a lot of movement and a lot of RED. I can just move my eyes to the right and see what is going on without even closing the start menu.

So yes, while you cannot 100% concentrate with peripheral vision, it still has some of your concentration to be aware of changes.

Just like if you are at work and somebody walks to you. You only see him in your peripheral vision. Do you continue your work for hours while they just stand? No, I am aware of somebody standing to my side and see what they need. I am not aware of them if I only look at them directly.

The driving and texting analogy does not hold because the other cars are typically outside your peripheral vision. Or if you have your phone on the steering wheel, you are blocking some of the view by just the device. There are some people that can do it though.

Change for the sake of it isn't evolution, Windows 8 does nothing better useability wise than Windows 7, if anything is a de-evolution, going back to Windows 3.11 style. All for the sake of trying to take some iPad marketshare.

This isn't "change for the sake of change". This is change because the Start Menu as it is in Windows 7 lost its value.

Um actually yes I am. I guess you never heard of peripheral vision, or does everybody have tunnel vision without knowing it? Or what about helping somebody through email how to get somewhere from Control Panel? Do you expect them to write it down instead of moving their eyes slightly to the email? You give a list of long instructions in an email that requires the start screen to be opened. They open it and perform some stuff, but then forget the rest. The need to close the start screen, read the rest of the email, and try again?

If I am looking at the start menu in pre WIndows 8, and I am a network admin with some networking graphs open. I am looking at the start menu looking for a program or something. All of the sudden I see a lot of movement and a lot of RED. I can just move my eyes to the right and see what is going on without even closing the start menu.

So yes, while you cannot 100% concentrate with peripheral vision, it still has some of your concentration to be aware of changes.

Just like if you are at work and somebody walks to you. You only see him in your peripheral vision. Do you continue your work for hours while they just stand? No, I am aware of somebody standing to my side and see what they need. I am not aware of them if I only look at them directly.

The driving and texting analogy does not hold because the other cars are typically outside your peripheral vision. Or if you have your phone on the steering wheel, you are blocking some of the view by just the device. There are some people that can do it though.

Peripheral vision onl sees motion, it's a "pay attention" kind of thing. The brain and eyes, only focus on one object at a time. The only thing your brain actuall focuses on on background stuff is sound, which is why you can watch a movie while doing something else. You don't actually see it, you jus hear it and the brain fills in the rest from when you do watch.

Great news then. Metro can do that! I can easily pin a WinRT app to the side of the screen to watch for changes, while I go about my business. And the best part is, it stays open, and on top no matter where in the OS I go.

And by the time those network monitors find their way into WinRT, Metro's multitasking will have improved.

We've been over is before, it's an evolution based on how millions and millions of people use windows.

And since the start screen allows you to Finland launch apps faster than 7. Or even let you gets lot of information without launching the app, it's an evolution and an improvement.

Peripheral vision onl sees motion, it's a "pay attention" kind of thing. The brain and eyes, only focus on one object at a time. The only thing your brain actuall focuses on on background stuff

No it doesnt. If yours does then you need to get your eyes checked. You know when they say "How many fingers am I holding up" My eye doctor does not wave their hands so I can see the motion. They stay still and I can see if they have 2, 4, 3, 1, or whatever they want me to see.