Woman doesn't shave armpits for 18 months

Woman doesn't shave armpits for 18 months

A female graduate student has appeared on This Morning to proudly show off her hairy armpits.

Emer O'Toole, 28, appeared on the programme today (May 4) to tackle the pressure on women to conform to "artificial gender norms".

O'Toole explained that she originally planned to not shave for a year, but has decided to continue as long as 18 months so far.

uktv_emer_otoole.jpg

? Rex Features / Steve Meddle

She told hosts Eamonn Holmes and Ruth Langsford: "I was living in Dublin and it just hit me that there was so much pressure on women to conform to artificial gender norms.

"All around me my friends were getting laser hair removal, Brazilians, some of them were getting Botox... I just thought where does this end?

"I started examining my own relationship with beauty and with my body. Why did I have to shave?"

She added: "I thought back to when I started shaving and I realised that when I was 14, you know, the hair started sprouting and I didn't think, 'Will I keep these or will I shave them off'. I knew I had to shave them off or everyone would think I was disgusting."

When asked if she intended to continue her plan, she replied: "The experiment was supposed to be for a year and then the end of the year came and I was like, 'I really like my body hair'.

"I can't believe that I reached 26 before ever even seeing what it looked like and seeing what it felt like and when I did it I thought, 'This is crazy, I love this'."

The London-based student added that men she has dated have not minded the look, saying: "Boys don't care, boys have body hair so they kind of know it's not disgusting."

A live vote carried out during the interview saw a massive 80% of viewers stating that they did not like the idea of a woman with hairy armpits and legs.

Source (with video): digital spy

I like this girl and her views are converging mine :)

How can we call a natural thing disgusting ? Its a normal cat looks good or a shaved/furless cat. The latter looks disgusting !

I think (=IMO) we should try least to change our "features" , i mean that's how nature created us and wanted us to be like! Idk biologically but hairs must be having "some" importance.

Oh c'mon Neowin, stop creating nightmares for me. :|

How can we call a natural thing disgusting ?

Yeah sure, lets just wait the day until they don't shave anywhere. First it's armpits, soon legs..whats next?

Emer O'Toole, 28, appeared on the programme today (May 4) to tackle the pressure on women to conform to "artificial gender norms".

Wears makeup, does her hair nice, wears a dress and boots with heightened heels and waxes her upper lip.

She's really breaking those gender norms. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Yeah sure, lets just wait the day until they don't shave anywhere. First it's armpits, soon legs..whats next?

skins-hairy-women-small-18942.jpg

Wears makeup, does her hair nice, wears a dress and boots with heightened heels and waxes her upper lip.

Her eyebrows don't look natural either :rolleyes:

I know, maybe we should all stop wiping our ass as it's all normal...

Ignorance , i don't want to deal with it :)

Go on with your opinion , i just told mine , cool?

I was expecting something... longer :D But it does look bad or at least weird to me

Ignorance , i don't want to deal with it :)

Go on with your opinion , i just told mine , cool?

It's not ignorance, I never told your opinion is wrong :|

Maybe you like it, I don't, just different taste in things :)

Well, since she's un****able now, she may as well find a French girl and be hair buddies. A friend that braids together, stays together.

My exact initial thought right there :rolleyes:

The London-based student added that men she has dated have not minded the look, saying: "Boys don't care, boys have body hair so they kind of know it's not disgusting."

Maybe all the boys she dated were gay then because I'd care. If I was in the sack with a women and saw that it'd be over. That kind of hair on women is revolting.

Exactly. This screams "attention seeker".