J.J Abrams "Revolution"

The network also picked up Revolution, an adventure drama from Abrams and Supernatural's Eric Kripke. In the epic adventure thriller, a family struggles to reunite in a postapocalyptic American landscape: a world of empty cities, local militias and heroic freedom fighters, where every single piece of technology -- computers, planes, cars, phones, even lights -- has mysteriously blacked out ... forever.

Twilight's Billy Burke stars, with David Lyons, Giancarlo Esposito, Tracy Spiridakos, Graham Rogers, Anna Lise Phillips, Tim Guinee, Andrea Roth, JD Pardo and Zak Orth rounding out the cast.

Kripke will write and exec produce alongside Abrams and Bryan Burk. Jon Favreau will direct the Warner Bros. Television-Bad Robot production, which filmed in Atlanta.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/nbc-series-orders-ryan-murphy-jj-abrams-319978

Interesting... I like the sounds of it. Seems appropriately timed for the end of the Mayan calendar... :)

After the mess that was Alcatraz, I am not getting my hopes high again. Since Fringe, JJ hasn't come up with anything spectacular.

I'm skeptical about picking up another new show after all the latest cancels....

Especially considering JJ's recent track record. I know that isn't necessarily his fault, but he can't seem to keep a show going for nothing. Personally, I think the problem is he isn't involved enough. He helps create the concept, maybe even mold a first season storyline, but then he's got so many other things on his plate, he doesn't stick with the show and it falls apart.

Serialized shows need a lot of babying. From both their creators and the studio/network. FOX is especially bad about picking them up to series, but then not giving them a chance to mature.

Another problem is that JJ's shows are now known to be really heavy with the Sci-Fi, which doesn't do good on the four networks. Lost was different because the first season didn't have a heavy Sci-Fi presence. But now a lot of people know the name, know what kind of shows he does, and I think that hurts the show.

Sad, but I believe it is true.

This show looks doomed from the start. It looks like it would be a great movie, 2 hours and it is wrapped up with maybe a sequel or two down the road, but it doesn't look like it belongs on TV. Or, at least not the big four. SyFy maybe, heck, I could even see it on USA or AMC before I can NBC.

Especially considering JJ's recent track record. I know that isn't necessarily his fault, but he can't seem to keep a show going for nothing. Personally, I think the problem is he isn't involved enough. He helps create the concept, maybe even mold a first season storyline, but then he's got so many other things on his plate, he doesn't stick with the show and it falls apart.

Serialized shows need a lot of babying. From both their creators and the studio/network. FOX is especially bad about picking them up to series, but then not giving them a chance to mature.

I believe that to be the case as well and that's unfortunate. He's got some neat ideas but keeps hopping from project to project, and that's always frustrated me for the points you made.

Revolution seems like the standard run of the mill post-apocalyptic future with nothing to distinguish itself. I'll check it out if it gets a second season and has positive feedback.

Another problem is that JJ's shows are now known to be really heavy with the Sci-Fi, which doesn't do good on the four networks. Lost was different because the first season didn't have a heavy Sci-Fi presence. But now a lot of people know the name, know what kind of shows he does, and I think that hurts the show.

Sad, but I believe it is true.

This show looks doomed from the start. It looks like it would be a great movie, 2 hours and it is wrapped up with maybe a sequel or two down the road, but it doesn't look like it belongs on TV. Or, at least not the big four. SyFy maybe, heck, I could even see it on USA or AMC before I can NBC.

never a truer word said

hrmm I like the concept of the show more than I liked that trailer...I'm also skeptical of NBC and this decision after the ridiciulous choices they've made recently.

In fact this image from another forum sums it up well

Meanwhile at NBC:...

eMtT9.jpg

I like the concept and the trailer wet my appetite. I'll be watching when it begins for sure.

With that said however I do doubt this show will go anywhere. I've watched Alias and Lost previously. Both are JJ Abrams shows and although they both began great and intrigued the watcher he can never deliver. JJ is like a magician with a trick he shows you the trick and the audience waits to hear how it was done but he never gets to that part and then people lose interest in seeing the same trick every week without knowing how it was done. So he creates mystery without solving it and then the shows get cancelled and people are left annoyed.

Post-apocalypse always interests me, and having watched that trailer I'm looking forward to seeing this when it arrives. I'll be interested in seeing how big a role Giancarlo Esposito will have, a recurring bad guy like in Breaking Bad or just a minor character; a leader of one of numerous militia groups?

EDIT: I just hope it doesn't turn out like Terra Nova. Great idea for a story, poor execution (at least in my opinion).

I like the idea of this. But somehow doubt it will ever make it past season one nor be given an ending; not that lost got an acceptable ending for that matter either.

they need more mini series, this would be perfect for that.

How about a well babysat mini-series to close out Alcatraz?

I doubt I'll tune in to this new one, most shows I like get canned. I am too scared to admit I like Fringe, Fox might nix it.

If there ever was a one season show then this would be it. The concept is fantastic; but the trailer was not all that exciting. If the can not make the trailer look exciting then how will the show be!

I used to trust the "Produced by J.J. Abrams"; but now whenever I see I think to myself "Oh no, not another crappy one season sci-fi show".

This looks horrible.

The beginning looked OK but then it jumps to 15 years later. I don't want to see 15 years later, I want too see the planes falling out of the sky and the chaos. Watching the breakdown of society would be much more interesting.

It looks like a low budget show filled with lame cardboard characters.

---

I doubt I'll tune in to this new one, most shows I like get canned. I am too scared to admit I like Fringe, Fox might nix it.

Don't have to worry about that anymore, considering there's only one season left :D

they should do it like the Brits, and have 3-6 episodes per year. (annual miniseries, as I like to call them :-P )

I don't know how the Brits rating system works (coupled with selling ad time), but I believe that would require a huge loss in profits over here for such a dramatic change. Either that, or they'd have to fill the rest of the time with more reality/game shows (because they're cheap to make).

Think I'm gonna give this one a miss until 2013 cancellation announcements, I'm sick of investing myself in a show only for it to be canned without closure.

Looks awesome though, I love anything post apocalyptic.

I don't know how the Brits rating system works (coupled with selling ad time), but I believe that would require a huge loss in profits over here for such a dramatic change. Either that, or they'd have to fill the rest of the time with more reality/game shows (because they're cheap to make).

I don't know how they make money either. Less episodes = less fillers = more storyline = happy viewers = higher ratings?

Then again, you're right. Less fillers also mean they have to make it up somewhere else. Either with fluff pieces (game/reality shows/stupid soap operas), or more quality programmes...

I don't know how they make money either. Less episodes = less fillers = more storyline = happy viewers = higher ratings?

Then again, you're right. Less fillers also mean they have to make it up somewhere else. Either with fluff pieces (game/reality shows/stupid soap operas), or more quality programmes...

I completely agree that you'll have happier viewers if you have less fillers, which usually requires less episodes. Shows on Showtime, HBO, AMC, etc. prove this to be correct (usually).

But if you're selling ad time, and you go from 22-24 episodes to 6-13 episodes, then either you have to raise prices on those fewer weeks (which I bet advertisers would complain about) or you have to fill the rest of the time with something else. Now, that could be another show, which would be okay, but still expensive, or you'd have to fill it with something really cheap and that is usually game shows/reality shows or reruns.

• Like 1