No Metro = Windows 7 SP 2. Don't like Metro, stick with Windows 7.

ya, funny you should mention that, i actually would be happier if they had gone full metro and removed the desktop all together... it's this hybrid mess thats annoying me to be honest...

Immersive apps* are good for some things (depending on the person), desktop apps are good for other things. I like using some of the apps like Mail, Tweetro, People, Discourse (RSS reader app), News, Weather and some of the games. I don't like using immersive IE for example and have all links set to open on the desktop, or the immersive PDF reader, and would hate to be without my desktop apps like Visual Studio or OneNote or the file explorer. Other people might have different preferences, one person might hate all immersive apps except like 2 that they prefer using, someone else could be the other way around. Limiting everyone to using just one type of app might be more "pure", but would prevent people from mixing and matching the particular apps they want.

Maybe someday they will figure out a way to make immersive apps do everything the desktop can, or seamlessly merge the two, or whatever. Until then, the current solution is better than pointlessly limiting everyone to pick one category of apps.

* I prefer this term (which is what they were originally called in development) to "Metro style apps" because the latter is too confusing, i.e. is (desktop) MetroTwit not Metro style? What about Windows Phone apps?

So far I haven't heard of any Windows 8/Metro-related suicides so apparently people are dealing just fine. They just won't upgrade or switch to another platform. Life will go on. Your title doesn't do anything but state the obvious.

Oh Man! Your words might just prove to be true....I mean what if an old man working in an old job for like last 16 years and using a usual Windows XP interface suddenly stumbles across Metro on his desktop and being unable to cope with it - decides to commit a suicide in all the distress?! o_O

May seem far fetched, but could certainly happen....Metro has a learning curve and certainly quite a lot of old people find it hard to learn new things!

In Windows 8 RP,you can on longer disable the Metro theme like you could in Windows 8 DP,just like you could not in Windows 8 CP. But you can add third party start menu software to get the start button and Windows XP and Windows 7 start menu in Windows 8.

And if you have Classic Shell installed which gives you both the start button and Windows XP and Windows 7 start menu,you can boot straight to the desktop. And by pass the Metro start screen. Classic Shell if the first start menu software to do this.

I have got Classic Shell installed,So I hardly deal with the Metro theme. Andrea Borman.

@ Andrea

Sorry not being rude, but you are repeating same things again and again.

I was just about to say something similar. I don't think English is her first language.

Thats a lot of opinion about something you have absolutely no control over.

As you said, If you like the idea get the update.. if not don't break whats working. Developers are STILL supporting XP so theres no worry of Windows 8 software only being released (aside from that which runs on ARM/RT rather than intel core)

Developers are STILL supporting XP so theres no worry of Windows 8 software only being released (aside from that which runs on ARM/RT rather than intel core)

Metro apps?

My only beef with Metro is that I have a 30 in. monitor and I never run anything (other than games of course) full screen. Now with Metro, many of the daily things I do that will be on the start screen and offer me no good multitasking opportunities. I MUST focus exclusively on one tiny app in a sea of unused screen space at a time. This is the part that frustrates me the most.

• Like 2

a sea of unused screen space at a time.

What do you mean? I love the 10+ inches of my 50" that go unused by most metro apps that force me to move up within 3 feet of the TV to know wtf is going on.

/s