Microsoft Drops Aero from Windows 8

That's not a fact, it's an opinion of yours. Not everyone shares the same views and the last thing we need is people thinking opinions are facts.

Which goes both ways.

Which goes both ways.

Sure, but i'm not the one flat out stating it's x y z and that's that. I've said why the start screen doesn't mess with my desktop work a number of times so far, and how I don't see it effecting people to the degree some others make it sound. Whatever your stance on change, MS, regardless of what you think, doesn't go into UI changes without collecting data and testing things. It's user data and user studies that gave us the superbar and app pinning in Win7, they even released the early test videos at one point with people using Vista etc.

None of that has changed.

It seems here there's a split of about 4 different camps

1: The camp that will mindlessly swallow anything that Microsoft throw at them because Microsoft are the awesomest company evar!!!!

2: The camp that genuinely think Metro is good and enjoy using it

3: The camp that genuinely think Metro is bad

4: The camp that hates Microsoft and bitches about them at every opportunity.

Judging by what I've seen on Neowin, I'd estimate that about 40% of our members fall into the first category and about 20% in each of the other 3. And the problem is that those that fall into the first category seem to have no issue with the fact that Microsoft are forcing a change without giving users that aren't keen a way to make Windows their own.

Sure, but i'm not the one flat out stating it's x y z and that's that.

I wasn't saying you are. It was more directed to someone else and I think we all know who. ;)

1: The camp that will mindlessly swallow anything that Microsoft throw at them because Microsoft are the awesomest company evar!!!!

Judging by what I've seen on Neowin, I'd estimate that about 40% of our members fall into the first category and about 20% in each of the other 3. And the problem is that those that fall into the first category seem to have no issue with the fact that Microsoft are forcing a change without giving users that aren't keen a way to make Windows their own.

I fall into 5th camp who wants to enjoy Metro but cannot stand it at the same time.

Perhaps a 5th camp, those who feel that metro is fine for touch screen devices, but has absolutely no place on a desktop. You could put me in camp 5.

• Like 1

Perhaps a 5th camp, those who feel that metro is fine for touch screen devices, but has absolutely no place on a desktop. You could put me in camp 5.

Same, in fact for tablets you shouldn't even be able to get to the desktop.

Same here, although having the Start Screen as an optional feature (like Dashboard in earlier versions of OS X), would be fine with me.

Come to think of it, losing Transparency is actually a minor change. The chrome is Windows 8 is already pretty minimal. In fact, with Ribbon added, the only place where you have transparency is on the title bar and the thin border! That's about it, we are losing transparency only on the title and border. The major transparent portion by far is the taskbar, and that remains transparent.

I think you're really missing out on some nice apps.

But just put it this way, what happens to all those all in ones that are selling right now with touch screens? How about all those service kiosks, and information kiosks running touch screens? POS terminals? You have all these machines that Windows XP and Windows 7 are wasted on. Developers developing service software or POS software can easily write a Windows 8 Metro app for these machines and put the hardware to better use. All in ones will now be finally fully take advantage of the touch screen hardware. Touch mice can finally be utilized in new ways. The list goes on...

People are so afraid of this change, that they're not really thinking outside the box of what it could bring to the table one day.

But just put it this way, what happens to all those all in ones that are selling right now with touch screens? How about all those service kiosks, and information kiosks running touch screens? POS terminals? You have all these machines that Windows XP and Windows 7 are wasted on. Developers developing service software or POS software can easily write a Windows 8 Metro app for these machines and put the hardware to better use. All in ones will now be finally fully take advantage of the touch screen hardware. Touch mice can finally be utilized in new ways. The list goes on...

People are so afraid of this change, that they're not really thinking outside the box of what it could bring to the table one day.

Also AFAIK, Microsoft doesn't stop anyone from developing mouseKB-first, touch-secondary apps in WinRT. There is no restriction if you develop app with denser UI and smaller controls. So WinRT apps can also be mouse/KB friendly.

Missing some nice apps...???

Geez dude, what's wrong with you..??

Afraid of change...?? Get over yourself. After 18yrs online, I have a pretty good idea of what works(for me) and what doesn't. Also, like so many others, I've seen my share of ridiculous changes and changes for change sake.

I'd be in the same camp. The Metro UI is OK if you're on a touch device, but looks silly and doesn't improve functionality on a desktop. My feelings are the same for the new Start Screen.

Firstly I'm not afraid of the change I just don't like it why the hell is that so hard for you to comprehend?

And secondly, the only really RT app I really liked was Socialite and that was removed between the DP and CP

Wow! This has really gotten off topic! Try to stay on Aero theme guys!

What did you expect? EVERY Windows 8 thread becomes a flame war between those who love Windows 8 and those who hate it. I would post my views of Windows 8 now I've been using it full time for a couple of days but not going to because it will end up just been the same.

It's a real shame that a forum appears to be splitting into 2 camps, "I love WIndows 8" and "I hate Windows 8", the amount of crap regularly posted by people from both sides is completely unbelieveable!

I'd just like to see a proper resolution screenshot of the new "aeroless" theme. The ones I've seen are tiny..

Word up to that! It's hard to tell what's going on when the pic is 200x200... :/

What did you expect? EVERY Windows 8 thread becomes a flame war between those who love Windows 8 and those who hate it. I would post my views of Windows 8 now I've been using it full time for a couple of days but not going to because it will end up just been the same.

It's a real shame that a forum appears to be splitting into 2 camps, "I love WIndows 8" and "I hate Windows 8", the amount of crap regularly posted by people from both sides is completely unbelieveable!

to be fair its normally only about 10 people on ether side that post stuff like that.

i have pretty much stopped posting in Windows 8 forums.

I'd just like to see a proper resolution screenshot of the new "aeroless" theme. The ones I've seen are tiny..

I'm guessing that it more or less will look like what changing the Windows Basic theme color to "White" in the RP looks like.